Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Exploits - Linux

• 20-02-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I installed Linux on my PS3 there and it's running fine but i need some help/advice on getting things running properly.

I'm completely new to Linux to wasn't really prepared for how un-straightforward it is compared to a Windows based OS.

For a start, how the hell do you install programs on it? i had a look around but couldn't really find any information (specifically for Abestos, or is it the same across all Linux flavours?)

Secondly, the screen area is too small so there's a black border all around the screen. How do i make it fill the whole area?

Is there any cools apps i should be using? (when i've figured out how to install them of course)

Any other relevant info i should know would be appreciated too!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've renamed the thread slightly, as it's a good time to start breaking subjects off the big multi-thread. This way we can keep all the topics similarly tagged & easy to find :) We'll use something like "PS3 Exploits - Custom Firmware" when we take that subject away from the bigger thread.

Which method have you used to install Linux firstly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Which method have you used to install Linux firstly?

Reading the OP its looks like Debian via AsbestOS. I too am a complete linux n00b, and debian is less user friendly then some distros out there. Impart wisdom here pls :)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Reading the OP its looks like Debian via AsbestOS. I too am a complete linux n00b, and debian is less user friendly then some distros out there. Impart wisdom here pls :)

Well if you guys are n00b's, consider me a complete n00b! :o No idea at all how it's done, what you do, what you need etc. It's just something I never looked into, but purely out of interest I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

So it's Debian via AsbestOS?

Boards lit the way for me to install it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70558607&highlight=AsbestOS#post70558607
    iPwnage wrote: »
    do this !

things you need:
    fat32 usb stick/hdd
    asbestOS_v1.3_autoDetect.pkg
    Debian linux .img
    lv2 patcher v9

copy asbestOS and lv2 pkgs to root of fat32 device
    extract debian .img rar to root also

install asbestOS pkg
    install lv2 v9 patcher
    run asbestOS, it'll then ask you to run lv 2 patcher, select linux from menu when it runs,

Debian should boot
    username/password are ps3/ps3

here's a quick vid i made on my phone !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGs9ku_dAFM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You have to download archives and extract then compile them it's sometimes messy as programs will have all sorts of dependant libraries of code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So it's Debian via AsbestOS?

Yeah, i think that's the only one available so far.

I was trying to get VLC player installed but hit a brick wall! i got as far the VLC site to download it then went cross eyed reading all the options etc for Linux and what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

if the app is on the main apt get repo (quiet a lot are) you need to open a terminal, type "apt-get install appname" or if you dont have superuser its "sudo apt-get appname" not sure if apt is set up by default on asbestos but it is on the standard debian, the great thing about apt is it will also grab any other programs that are needed for the app to run, this is how it is by default on standard debian but i havent used linux on my ps3 yet.

the other method for debian is actually easier, if the dev offers his application as a .rpm file it will run under debian just like a windows installer.

weeder wrote: »
    if the app is on the main apt get repo (quiet a lot are) you need to open a terminal, type "apt-get install appname" or if you dont have superuser its "sudo apt-get appname" not sure if apt is set up by default on asbestos but it is on the standard debian, the great thing about apt is it will also grab any other programs that are needed for the app to run, this is how it is by default on standard debian but i havent used linux on my ps3 yet.

the other method for debian is actually easier, if the dev offers his application as a .rpm file it will run under debian just like a windows installer.

Cheers, i'll give it a whirl.

I don't suppose you know how to change the screen resolution? i tried the standard way (i presume) and the only options were the resolution i was currently on and "auto" which didn't change anything. It's a bit annoying having a big black border around the screen.

I forgot to ask, does this installation method require a net connection? i can't seem to get mine going at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

it does, pulls the applications from a file repository, no need for internet if using rpm packages though

I actually havent got a clue about resolution now as i usually use linux on the command line on a server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

Hi I dont have a PS3 (yet!! ) but im using debian now on my PC you will need a net connection when using apt-get heres a very small app (less than 1MB ) and it very useful indeed! try this apt-get mc . . . its a file manager which runs inside a terminal and will help you out when you need to look for files untill you get comfortable using the command line (which can take a while)

Thanks Weeder.

I found a useful page with instructions to get VLC Player installed.
    Preparing Your system
    #apt-get install build-essential

#apt-get install libqt4-dev libpostproc-dev libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev libmad0-dev liba52-0.7.4-dev libhal-dev libdbus-1-dev libfribidi-dev libgcrypt11-dev

Install Latest VLC Media player from source (0.9.9 is the latest version at the time of writing)

First download latest vlc version from here

or

wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.9.9/vlc-0.9.9.tar.bz2

Extract this tar.bz2 file using the following command

#tar -xjf vlc-0.9.9.tar.bz2

#cd vlc-0.9.9

#./configure --disable-swscale

#make

#make install

That’s it this will complete the installation

Using VLC

If you want to open VLC You need to go to Applications—>Sound&Video—>VLC Media Player

If you want to install mozilla plugin use the following command

#apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc

I'm trying it now, i'll report back and say if it worked.

nc43 wrote: »
    Hi I dont have a PS3 (yet!! ) but im using debian now on my PC you will need a net connection when using apt-get heres a very small app (less than 1MB ) and it very useful indeed! try this apt-get mc . . . its a file manager which runs inside a terminal and will help you out when you need to look for files untill you get comfortable using the command line (which can take a while)

I haven't managed to get the internet working on my PS3 Linux yet! don't know why it won't work.

I haven't managed to get the internet working on my PS3 Linux yet! don't know why it won't work.

You lan or wifi?

so how are you getting VLC onto it then? or have I missed something

Wow, very positive results so far, after breaking the topic away from the main thread :) Keep it up guys, impressive stuff so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Does Debian not have a graphical package manager installed by default? Might be easier for some..

This FAQ mentioned synaptics package manager so if it's not already installed it should be quite possible to do so using apt-get..

Might try ps3 Linux myself at some point but have no real need as I already have a htpc which can boot ubuntu/windows/xbmc. Won't be really useful until someone writes an RSX driver anyway.. mmm, XBMC and a blu ray player in one with hdmi and optical output.. that'd be nice.

Inquitus wrote: »
    You lan or wifi?

Lan. I heard it wouldn't work on Wifi. I followed a tut to change the config in the Leafpad app but it didn't work still after that.
    so how are you getting VLC onto it then? or have I missed something

I have the VLC 1.1.7.tar.bz over on the Linux desktop, was hoping i could do it somehow that way! Am i wrong?

I have the VLC 1.1.7.tar.bz over on the Linux desktop, was hoping i could do it somehow that way! Am i wrong?

Yeah, you have to compile and install it from a tar file. Nice tutorial here.

May or may not work.. dependencies etc. Ideal thing would be to get network connection working and use apt-get. No idea what kind of files it will actually play since there is no proper rsx driver, probably using the CPU mainly.

Btw regarding your display query in the op you probably need to modify xorg.conf with the correct resolution settings for your tv, might be worth a shot anyway. Some details here but possibly not detailed enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i'd advise new peeps interested in discovering the world of linux, try learn/explore it on your pc's first ! get an ubuntu/mint live cd, just burn distro, pop it into pc, and reboot, play with it without installing (both distros built on debian...the distro i have installed on my ps3 in the above video) learn the concepts of package management etc, learn things arent always done the way you know how,... you might suffer M$ trained brain syndrome,.. it'll be worth the time investment,

i'd advise peeps interested in discovering the world of linux, try learn/explore it on your pc's first

That's actually great advice, at least your out of the frying pan & into the fire - as opposed to out of the fridge & into the fire!

Can you play around with it through a VM even?

Lan. I heard it wouldn't work on Wifi. I followed a tut to change the config in the Leafpad app but it didn't work still after that.

forget about that source as even if you sucuessfully complie it it will be a nightmare to move it over to the PS3 best bet is to get your internet sorted on PS3 first and you will have a better starting point

on the PS3 do you have a working desktop (as in menues ) if so tell us what you have and I can try to tell you where to go to reset your screen res

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Can you play around with it through a VM even?
    absolutely !!

i'd advise new peeps interested in discovering the world of linux, try learn/explore it on your pc's first ! get an ubuntu/mint live cd, just burn distro, pop it into pc, and reboot, play with it without installing (both distros built on debian...the distro i have installed on my ps3 in the above video) learn the concepts of package management etc, learn things arent always done the way you know how,... you might suffer M$ trained brain syndrome,.. it'll be worth the time investment,

Even better use unetbootin and run a live distro off a flash drive. Runs much much faster than a cd and just as easy to do.

Id also recommend Linux Mint.. using Mint 9 with xfce on my netbook and love it, Il probably install it on my main laptop too just haven't got around to it.

on the PS3 do you have a working desktop (as in menues ) if so tell us what you have and I can try to tell you where to go to reset your screen res

Yeah i have Linux desktop loaded and can browse around and open accessories and system tools etc. I opened Monitor settings and only have 1124x644 as a resolution option (or auto, but that's seemingly the same) the display i'm using has a 1024x768 resolution. I think the pixels are rectangular rather then square though (plasma TV) dunno if that makes a difference...

even better when you run your debian livecd from ram takes less than 30 sec to load into ram

Yeah i have Linux desktop loaded and can browse around and open accessories and system tools etc. I opened Monitor settings and only have 1124x644 as a resolution option (or auto, but that's seemingly the same) the display i'm using has a 1024x768 resolution. I think the pixels are rectangular rather then square though (plasma TV) dunno if that makes a difference...

ah ok plasma TVs cant do higher than 1024x768 but let me understand you have your linux running from your PS3 and your using your plasma tv as the monitor on said PS3?

and you also have a second PC with linux on it which does have a working internet

ah ok plasma TVs cant do higher than 1024x768 but let me understand you have your linux running from your PS3 and your using your plasma tv as the monitor on said PS3?

Correct!
    and you also have a second PC with linux on it which does have a working internet

Nope, i've a laptop and pc too but they're both on Windows 7

• Advertisement

Correct!

Nope, i've a laptop and pc too but they're both on Windows 7

use the search feature on the PS3 to see if you have a file called "Xorg.conf"

what firmware should I be looking for a PS3 to have is 3.56 no good what firmware is your at?

Advertisement