Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Exploits - Linux

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

nc43 wrote: »
    use the search feature on the PS3 to see if you have a file called "Xorg.conf"

How do i search? can't find the function...:confused:

I'm on 3.55cfw. 3.56 is no good for homebrew at the mo but that could/probably will change!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nc43

How do i search? can't find the function...:confused:

do you have a menu called "Places"

or else open up the file manager (just *click* on a folder on the desktop even the trash can and in the address bar type "/etc"

do you have a menu called "Places"

or else open up the file manager (just *click* on a folder on the desktop even the trash can and in the address bar type "/etc"

No menu called places, i did the /etc thing and it displayed lots of folders and single files, i couldn't see a Xorg.conf file though. should it be in one of the folders there or in the root?

No menu called places, i did the /etc thing and it displayed lots of folders and single files, i couldn't see a Xorg.conf file though. should it be in one of the folders there or in the root?

if its there its inside "/etc/X11"

if its there its inside "/etc/X11"

There's no file by that name. There is an Xorg file that shows up just as an "X" it'd says it's an executable file in the properties. It doesn't seem to open.

• Advertisement

There's no file by that name. There is an Xorg file that shows up just as an "X" it'd says it's an executable file in the properties. It doesn't seem to open.

ok np thats a link to the Xorg program and not what im looking for
    so its time for plan B !

attach a standard monitor

just untill you get your network working

well maybe its just time to get your hands dirty!!!

try this command type it into a terminal and let us know what it says

" dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg "

Welcome to Debian!
    is it a hdmi connection between PS3 and TV
    does the TV have any options for attaching a PC like from the TV options (mine does but its an LCD )

ok np thats a link to the Xorg program and not what im looking for
    so its time for plan B !

attach a standard monitor

just untill you get your network working

well maybe its just time to get your hands dirty!!!

try this command type it into a terminal and let us know what it says

" dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg "

Welcome to Debian!
    is it a hdmi connection between PS3 and TV
    does the TV have any options for attaching a PC like from the TV options (mine does but its an LCD )

Can i just go to "run" and enter command there or do i have to open a terminal? (there's LX Terminal & Root Terminal)

I connect to my tv through hdmi yeah. It has PC & home theatre PC options in the menu, never used them so i'm not sure what they do (they're also grayed out at the minute)

Can i just go to "run" and enter command there or do i have to open a terminal? (there's LX Terminal & Root Terminal)

I connect to my tv through hdmi yeah. It has PC & home theatre PC options in the menu, never used them so i'm not sure what they do (they're also grayed out at the minute)

if you use the run option you wont see any output but in a treminal you will also use the root terminal

Ok, i typed that into a terminal and got -

bash: dpkg-reconfigure: command not found

Ok, i typed that into a terminal and got -

bash: dpkg-reconfigure: command not found
    ok one last go!

did the root terminal ask for a password?

• Advertisement

ok one last go!

did the root terminal ask for a password?

No it didn't. Should it have?

No it didn't. Should it have?

very much so! and you should set it now

open root terminal

type " passwd root " and follow instructions

anyhow can we continue this tomorrow as its getting late

Ill pop back tomorrow and if your online we will talk then

to keep you going!!!

try this
    on keyboard press CTRL + ALT + F1

type " init 3 "

wait for command prompt to come back

type X -configure

after the command finishes you are told so

now type

X -config /root/xorg.conf

if nothing happens then dont worry just do a full reboot and nothing will have changed

I got the internet going now on the Linux PS3 finally. Got VLC Player installed too so just need to figure out the screens size thing and i'm sorted!

I got the internet going now on the Linux PS3 finally. Got VLC Player installed too so just need to figure out the screens size thing and i'm sorted!

hey there did you try out those last instructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

AsbestOSInstller 2.0 is out :D

hey there did you try out those last instructions?

I did, it didn't work.

Linux on the PS3 is soooo slow at the minute, hopefully a better optimised version will come out soon, it's not really worth it at the minute to be honest.

I did, it didn't work.

Linux on the PS3 is soooo slow at the minute, hopefully a better optimised version will come out soon, it's not really worth it at the minute to be honest.

yeah Ive been looking into it and its not worth buying a PS3 for it to run linux on and as long as its using the FAT file system its never going to be like a real linux system ( I understand why you had no root password now! ) and setting one is pointless anyway

yeah Ive been looking into it and its not worth buying a PS3 for it to run linux on and as long as its using the FAT file system its never going to be like a real linux system ( I understand why you had no root password now! ) and setting one is pointless anyway

Cheers for the help anyway, it was appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What type of file system does Linux use, & would NTFS be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

EnterNow wrote: »

ext1/2/3/4 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

linux wont install onto an NTFS partition as it was designed by M$ for there OSes but a linux system will be able to read and write to NTFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

linux wont install onto an NTFS partition as it was designed by M$ for there OSes but a linux system will be able to read and write to NTFS

Ah I see, I know literally nothing about the great penguin :o

just installed via asbestOS 2, its fully automated, no need for a debian file anymore, just a usb stick/HDD to install to, i used a 8gig fat32 stick, which it converts to ext 3 itself, you can pre partition before hand if you want, if you want to keep some of the stick windoze friendly

what you need AsbestOS V2.0 .pkg, LV 2 v9 patcher .pkg
    install both .pkg files

Run asbestOS ...let it do its thing, it'll ask to now run lv2 patcher

run lv2, connect ps3 to interwebs WIRED,

pick linux from lv2 menu

it'll start the installer (be sure you have your usb inserted, linux will be installed to this)

read and accept settings as you see fit

it'll install, may take a while, go make some tea

now i did have one small problem, whoever was hosting the linux files had it offline while i tried to get it, this still may happen and throw an error while trying to downlaod it, you can fix this by editing the kboot.conf asbestOS creates, its located at /dev_hdd0 add this line to the file and save
    its just pointing to debian website, and will source the install from there (dont run asbestOS again tho, as it'll only overwrite your changes, ..i learnt this the hard way... go straight to lv2 after you edit)

iPwnage wrote: »
    just installed via asbestOS 2, its fully automated, no need for a debian file anymore, just a usb stick/HDD to install to, i used a 8gig fat32 stick, which it converts to ext 3 itself, you can pre partition before hand if you want, if you want to keep some of the stick windoze friendly

what you need AsbestOS V2.0 .pkg, LV 2 v9 patcher .pkg
    install both .pkg files

Run asbestOS ...let it do its thing, it'll ask to now run lv2 patcher

run lv2, connect ps3 to interwebs WIRED,

pick linux from lv2 menu

it'll start the installer (be sure you have your usb inserted, linux will be installed to this)

read and accept settings as you see fit

it'll install, may take a while, go make some tea

now i did have one small problem, whoever was hosting the linux files had it offline while i tried to get it, this still may happen and throw an error while trying to downlaod it, you can fix this by editing the kboot.conf asbestOS creates, its located at /dev_hdd0 add this line to the file and save
    its just pointing to debian website, and will source the install from there (dont run asbestOS again tho, as it'll only overwrite your changes, ..i learnt this the hard way... go straight to lv2 after you edit)

hey there nice one for that :)

hey there nice one for that :)
    no problem, and since i posted that, Kmeaw has updated the installer, he's now calling it BootOs v2.01, as asbestOS was marcan's project, and he asked him to stop calling it after his,

no need for the kboot edit with the new installer,

the install works out about 3.6 gigs also i meant to mention above
    and took about 3 hours on an 8mb connection, ps3 seems to read/write really really slow :D

I actually think the previous debian install with the live Xfce desktop was way faster then this one, this install runs a full Gnome desktop, I find it slow, we're still not there in terms of having a good linux ps3 desktop !

I suspect its slow as it only has 256MB system ram (although Ive read its a different kind of ram and supposed to be fast )

and usb sticks are deffinetly slow

maybe if you used a sata based usb drive you would see a performance hit
    does it create a swap partition?

XFCE is a fast and lightweight desktop and is probaly better suited

is it a 64bit OS and do you have any screen res problems?

ram shouldn't be an issue, its all about compatibility i think, i mean we can run crazy intensive games on the ps3 without even going near its full capabilities so far, so running a little gnome (or hopefully KDE soon,) desktop shouldn't be a problem,

yes it is x64, x64 powerPC version of Debian Squeeze, as ps3 runs x64 powerPC architecture, screen res was ok, not perfect, was trying it on my 42" tv,
    i i didn't have the time to look into it yet, if its possible have it full hd, it shouldn't be too difficult to configure for a regular linux user, i'll post up any solution I get

Bump...would hate to see this thread die away :D

My main man Graf Is Working On 3.55 HV CFW, With Dual-Boot Linux Option

Our respected hacker, graf_chokolo has given out confirmation that he is working on a something that should really change the way how our PS3 boots with the addition of a penguin. It’s a much better OtherOS functionality you peeps!

I plan to implement dual boot feature in HV, just like i did on my PS3 3.41, and you can boot with it either gameos or linux or some other system like freebsd. You won’t need any bootos on gameos for that. I will also patch HV and enable more features

I will do it on PS3 slim, first i will resize HDD and add a partition for Linux there

Expect more features coming in as the HV patching continues. Oh, and he is working on a 3.55 FW only at the moment, although on the newer firmware versions is possible according to graf.

now for 3.55, on other version offsets are different so the code is the same but offsets to patch are different

When ask about the progress of his lawsuit and if he requires more legal funds, graf_chokolo had to say this:

it’s very slow, for now it’s enough i think, thanks

i have no huge news yet regarding lawsuit but soon i think i will have

iPwnage wrote: »
    Bump...would hate to see this thread die away :D

My main man Graf Is Working On 3.55 HV CFW, With Dual-Boot Linux Option
    and it's out !!.....and with some killer features, full blown control of all the hardware !! probably not fully n00b friendly yet, from what I understand, this doesn't give you a desktop, its still command line, you'd have to manually install your owned preferred desktop environment, gnome/kde/.. whatever from the shell, but Im sure its only a matter of time before someone comes up with a full integrated desktop env, pup file to make it friendly for all...:D

http://gitbrew.org/otheros/
    Features:
    Into HV integrated OtherOS bootloader loader (compatible with OtherOS bootloader on 3.15)
    OtherOS bootloader is booted directly from HV, no GameOS is involved.
    Process of booting OtherOS bootloader loader is very similar to 3.15 method
    Booting Linux from HDD/USB/BD/Network
    Linux with GameOS rights
    Full access to all HV SS services (Dispatcher Manager) from GameOS or Linux
    Full access to all System Manager services
    Ability to create/modify/remove repository nodes in LPAR 1 (e.g. with ps3dm-utils or ps3hvc-utils).
    This ability gives you much power over the whole system because many layers of PS3 use repository nodes to exchange information.
    Enabled QA mode in Update Manager
    Downgrading without USB dongle or Service Mode
    Ability to deactivate/activate HDD/VFLASH encryption (e.g. with ps3stor-utils)
    Support for ps3-utils. You can flash new OtherOS bootloader from Linux e.g.

Notes:
    Tested 3.41 and 3.55 on PS3 Slim with Gentoo and Debian Squeeze but should work on PS3 Fat without problems
    Bug reports are welcome, send it please to geoffrey.levand@mail.ru

Work in progress:
    Creating OtherOS partitions directly on HDD (not VFLASH)
    Permanently disabling HDD/VFLASH encryption
    Mapping of HTAB with R/W permission
    SYSCON access from LPAR 2
    FreeBSD support

• Advertisement
Advertisement