Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the old Cork Airport....

Options
  • 20-02-2011 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I've recently found an old lost camera and developed the film and found someone photos from the beginning of their holiday in the bar at the old terminal of Cork airport.... I was wondering what everyone's anecdotes of the old airport are? Does anyone remember the bar manager?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

tbh I was quite young when I was last there so My memory's are more set on the games room that used to be there,the glass elevator and the pond full of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Stuff going on in the old terminal right now actually. It's being used for an international art event soon.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Terminal-Convention/131685800221770 for more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

I was stopped taking photos there once, in 2005 I believe of the old terminal over security and terrorism sh1te. A real shame because I would love to have a few pictures of the inside of that place.

It would be interesting to see the inside of it now, are teh bar and restaurant still in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Daegerty wrote: »
    I was stopped taking photos there once, in 2005 I believe of the old terminal over security and terrorism sh1te. A real shame because I would love to have a few pictures of the inside of that place.

It would be interesting to see the inside of it now, are teh bar and restaurant still in place?

Yeah, but it's pretty desolate looking. Was cool walking around in there really. Snooping around the baggage collection.

I'd say it's all being cleaned up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Kold wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's pretty desolate looking. Was cool walking around in there really. Snooping around the baggage collection.

I'd say it's all being cleaned up though.

Big art project in there next month from National Sculpture Factory and people like Bill Drummond of the KLF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Website is here for those interested - http://www.terminalconvention.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

when I worked in the Airport Business Park we used to take a stroll up into the Terminal at lunchtime, grab a coffee and sit and watch the traffic for a while. The coffee dock upstairs was practically on the apron.
    It's sad today to see that there is no real decent viewing area for either those flying passengers or their friends/relatives seeing them off or collecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

When I was a teen myself and my buddies used to cycle up there via the country roads (cooneys lane) and have a hot choc while watching the planes! It is sickening you can't do that anymore.

When I was younger again I do remember the games room, specifically Superman I think! I loved the elevator and pond too, the amount of coins in there :)

Just remembered being on the other side of things - waving hello/goodbye to your loved ones looking out at you as you unboarded/boarded the plane! Again a shame this can't be done anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Being about 10 and spending from 0700 till 1800 waiting for my father fly in, for some reason he was stuck in Geneva (Swiss phone operator would accept that Bantry xxx was a real number)

As a way of keeping us quiet the old lady taught my self and my little sister how to play poker in the old bar which became the departures lounge, worked for a while before we went off to run riot around the terminal. (It was one big adventure playground for us in the seventies)

The old dear gave up after the last flight in from London and we all went home.

Woke up the next morning to find the old fella home he got a connection to Shannon and hired a cab from there to Bantry.

Also remember the outside viewing platform being open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Also coming out of the car part and having to remind the old fella that we drive on the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Always had family coming and going from England so everyone would go up to see them come in and head off.
    Anybody remember the fish tank in the games room through which you could see into the departures lounge? It was the quick jumps and shouting goodbye at the security gate and then a rush to get your spot at the aul fish tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Always had family coming and going from England so everyone would go up to see them come in and head off.
    Anybody remember the fish tank in the games room through which you could see into the departures lounge? It was the quick jumps and shouting goodbye at the security gate and then a rush to get your spot at the aul fish tank.
    Remember it well !!!!!!!!!!
    Think i will head to the terminal thing next month would love a stroll around the place again , might go to one of the music events at night too would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

You'd feel great with that sense of "I've found a loophole"!! :D

Like everyone, I really miss being able to watch the planes. There's talk of extending the new terminal when passengers go over three million again (true or not, I dunno). So if they do it, I hope they make a viewing area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

number10a wrote: »
    You'd feel great with that sense of "I've found a loophole"!! :D

Like everyone, I really miss being able to watch the planes. There's talk of extending the new terminal when passengers go over three million again (true or not, I dunno). So if they do it, I hope they make a viewing area.

The likes of that fish tank will never be allowed again incase some mad hatter somehow gets a bomb through it.

In my day it used to cost 20p to use the game machines and a good few people actually used them. I think there's one left and it costs 2 euros to use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

Seloth wrote: »
    tbh I was quite young when I was last there so My memory's are more set on the games room that used to be there,the glass elevator and the pond full of fish.

Ah yeah. Remember that fish pond well. The size of the yokes.

Just remembered the cafe, sometimes confusing (think the tea/coffee section was beyond the till, or half the time the till was unmanned).
    Once or twice as a young fella I walked straight to my table thinking I was suppose to pay afterwards :P
    They did good full Irishes then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's sad today to see that there is no real decent viewing area for either those flying passengers or their friends/relatives seeing them off or collecting them.

Absolutely, used to be up there as a kid very often, THAT was the attraction. By the time my own children arrived the outdoor viewing area was closed off and I think removed.

And now, total waste of time, apart from work, have not been up there since it opened and this was the first thing I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Ah yeah. Remember that fish pond well. The size of the yokes.

149178.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I left for New Zealand via the old terminal and came home a few years later via the new. My biggest memory will always be seeing practically my whole family waving me off thought the glass, and seeing my 8 month old nephew in my sisters arms.

When I came home he was about 3 and half running around near Starbucks in new terminal, and the whole family were there again. :) (bloody norries :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

2 words for you: STREET FIGHTER!!!

Spent half my childhood in that arcade.

A friend on mine stole one of them giant gold fish and took it home in his pocket. Don't think it worked out well for the fish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hannah Pierce

Great to know who vividly people remember the old terminal, I'm actually one of the artists exhibiting as part of the Terminal Convention exhibition in March. Having only seen the Terminal since it was decommissioned it's nice hear how lively a place it used to be.

During one of the airport site visits I found a box of unclaimed cameras in a lost property box, I've since had the pictures developed and I am posting the online at http://lostandfoundincorkairport.wordpress.com/

It would be great if anyone has any images if you could upload them also and the site can become an interactive archive of sorts, any will go on to form part of the exhibition.

I'll be continually updating the website with new images over the month so do keep visiting, you may even see a familiar face!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Great to know who vividly people remember the old terminal, I'm actually one of the artists exhibiting as part of the Terminal Convention exhibition in March. Having only seen the Terminal since it was decommissioned it's nice hear how lively a place it used to be.

During one of the airport site visits I found a box of unclaimed cameras in a lost property box, I've since had the pictures developed and I am posting the online at http://lostandfoundincorkairport.wordpress.com/

It would be great if anyone has any images if you could upload them also and the site can become an interactive archive of sorts, any will go on to form part of the exhibition.

I'll be continually updating the website with new images over the month so do keep visiting, you may even see a familiar face!

Cool web site looking forward to more pics been put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Scanning the windows from the ground trying to see my parents waving me off/welcoming me back. Also the longer walk from the luggage carousel to the sliding exit doors where you could see everyone waiting outside for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

When I was a little lad I would be waking up fierce early as kids do so on Sunday mornings when I woke up my Dad used to bring me up to the airport. I got to watch planes, Dad got to read the newspaper and my Mum got to sleep in late. Comeback wonderful Cork airport, you kept families together!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I flew in and out of the old terminal 50/60 times and can't believe the lack of memories I have. I remember the statue of Jack, the pond, the lift, the viewing area upstairs and I remember the bar well!!. I can't remember the gates or the baggage collection. All my memories are of the new place, thats kind of sad.

Best memory was after flying in from Australia to surprise my parents and going straight to the bar upstairs for a few pints of Murphy's - sure I was in no rush home, it was a surprise. They were some of the nicest pints I have ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hannah Pierce

To the people of Cork

OLD TV's NEEDED FOR DOUGLAS GORDON ARTWORK at Terminal Convention (www.terminalconvention.com)

Do you have an old TV that you are about to throw out or one that you can lend?

We are setting up a major art installation by the artist DOUGLAS GORDON at the old Cork Airport terminal and we need 100 old style 4:3 ratio TV's 18" and above (Not flat screen or plasma).
    These TV's are now becoming very hard to get hold of as people replace with modern flat screen TV's.

If you have an old TV and can lend it to us, please email hannah@terminalconve ntion.com or call 00447814889613 and we can arrange to pick up your old TV or alternatively you can drive up to the old airport terminal and drop off up untill 15 March 9am - 8pm as we will be there each day setting up the Terminal Convention Exhibition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Threads merged.

Advertisement