Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 7 - Flourless chocolate cake

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Took me a few seconds to work out the last pic. It looks like it's covered in tinfoil! :o;)
    A bit too much sugar came out alright :p, managed to get a good bit of it off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

You don't have to use dark chocolate but I would say you need to use GOOD chocolate, i.e. no vegetable oil added (I'm looking at you, Dairy Milk!)

Aldi and Lidl both do great quality chocolate that you could get at around 40% or 50%, or if you're feeling extravagent Lindt is always amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My second time to make this and it was Devine!
    I didn't mix the egg whites in properly first time, but spent a bit longer on it and it was much nicer.

4ca50c6b.jpg

Goddamn you Susie Q.
    The Kids want it again tonight.
    Ah sure ye' have to!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Tried this today.. and failed miserably. It seems to have split, if that's even possible?

The bottom half is like jelly, it's gross. And there's not even much of a chocolate taste from it? It also turned out incredibly greasy. The top half looks like the rest of the pics I've seen in this thread and tastes alright but its really really wet, not moist, wet..

I followed the recipe in the thread and it looked the same as the pics that OP posted in the step by step guide... and yet, it turned out rather manky.

Anyone have any clue where I could have gone wrong?

Here's a pic of it.. click the attachment for a bigger version and to see where it looks to have separated.

014-2.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How long did you cook it for? It looks like it's just raw really. Mine took WAY longer in the oven than the recipe suggested, if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement

It was in there for 25 mins, got a little burned around the edges so I didn't want to leave it much longer, then I left it in the tin for about 2 hours after, it was still warm when I took it out of the tin too.

Was it set? Was it cracked on top? I think mine took nearly an hour in the oven to stop wobbling when i touched it.

Faith wrote: »
    Was it set? Was it cracked on top? I think mine took nearly an hour in the oven to stop wobbling when i touched it.

Yeah it was, I checked it after the first 15 mins and it shook like a bowl of water so I left it longer.

I'm no expert, but surely it shouldn't have separated like it did? It was a proper cake texture on top but almost like a jelly or mousse (with no air bubbles) texture and the underneath had like a layer of the butter too.. it was very strange.

That is strange. Mine was all mousse textured, while some of the pictures above look more cake texture. I thought I did mine wrong, but when I thought about it, it's probably supposed to be a light mousse-y texture given the whisked eggs. I have no clue why it would have separated like that if it was set.

Gah, oh dear! I don't know what happened there. What type of chocolate did you use? Perhaps if there was some vegetable oil in the chocolate it may be a culprit? If not I have no idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I made this tonight. Used half and half Lindt Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Orange...it's really gorgeous. Mine turned out like Faith's...really light and fluffy and mousse-like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yeah, I've made it a couple of times now with Aldi chocolate and it's gorgeous.

It does need at least 45 mins in my new gas oven, I've found. Not sure what kind of super-oven you have Susie_Q :D

My oven is ridiculous to be honest, most recipes that say 30 mins will cook in only 10 mins for me!

I'm about to start on the Malaysian curry from cooking club now, can't wait!

Susie_Q wrote: »
    My oven is ridiculous to be honest, most recipes that say 30 mins will cook in only 10 mins for me!

Are you sure it's not a microwave? :p

Going to re-try this hopefully over the weekend and use different chocolate, wish me luck! :D

Going to re-try this hopefully over the weekend and use different chocolate, wish me luck! :D

Good luck! I recommend Lindt chocolate :)

Also make sure you beat the egg whites really really well so there's no watery-ness left, just in case that was what happened last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

foodaholic wrote: »
    2qkrmdv.jpg

Well done, foodaholic. Your slice looks awesome!
    Loopy wrote: »
    My second time to make this and it was Devine!
    I didn't mix the egg whites in properly first time, but spent a bit longer on it and it was much nicer.

4ca50c6b.jpg

Goddamn you Susie Q.
    The Kids want it again tonight.
    Ah sure ye' have to!
    :)

Yours too, Loopy! :pac:
    Tried this today.. and failed miserably.

My first go was miserable too.

I've made this now for the second time and this is where I am:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=9646

The first time I made it the oven was too hot and the mix swelled up hugely... actually, is this a souffle mix???

The second time I made it in a cooler oven and turned out grand, but I couldn't get it out of the (non-stick) pan. With brutal coaxing I finally got in out... hence your greaseproof paper, d'oh!

I'm going to give it another go soon!

Oh yeah, it actually (the second go) tasted lovely... moussy/spongy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Are you sure that's not a ginger nut biscuit on a saucer Alex? :pac:
    My fourth attempt.
    30658497.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

haha! Almost got away with it! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well, would you look at that....6 eggs, not 5. Made this 4 times now and this is the first time with the correct number of eggs. :o Only 4 ingredients and I still manage to read it wrong.

Still, if anyone is ever making this and realises they are short an egg...it works with 5! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Made this tonight. It was delicious. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe. :)

My fourth attempt.
    30658497.jpg

That looks absolutely perfect! I'm drooling here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭xoaudhep

If you were making this and putting some chopped nuts in it at what point should you add them?
    Or does it matter?! :confused:
    Thanks!

I wouldn't add them at all. This is a very, very light and airy cake - I'm imagine they'd probably sink to the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I'm a hopeless cook, but am starting to get into the swing of baking (I can even manage caramel squares now ;))

I made a flourless chocolate cake years ago for the hubby, can't remember the recipe, but it tasted fantastic (it looked more like a lump of cow ding than a cake, but delicious all the same), so I really want to try out this recipe soon, I was thinking of adding a few drops of peppermint to make a nice mint choc cake, question for the experts here. do you think that would work - and if yes how much peppermint should I use?

I should point out that I can't buy peppermint extract here, so I'll be using peppermint oil - and if I recall correctly the dosage is 1/4 of the amount of peppermint extract in recipes.

Thanks

Finally made this properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Myself and some friends recently took part in a cooking group and made this cake on round one, it was so popular its been made four times since and there's plans for more.

Its unbelievable. The last time we made it, we didn't have enough dark chocolate so used one bar of milk chocolate and it worked wonderfully.

We served it with strawberries, raspberries and fresh whipped cream. Gorgeous.

Advertisement