Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

• 20-02-2011 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting argument on the Celtic/Rangers Match Thread.

How would the current Celtic squad fare in the EPL?

I don't think they'd get relegated but I think they'd do very very well to achieve midtable mediocrity.

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL? 253 votes

Championship/CL Qualifiers
    0%
    5th -10th (Europa League/Upper mid Table)
    3%
    DempseyzAbboCorkManSt SenanmaklRoyal Seahawkdekbhoytdv123Carlos_Ray 9 votes
    10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    18%
    SickBoyDont be at yourselfChucky the treematrimkeano_afcMr. PresentableA Dub in GlasgotonedefPaparazzoJesus WeptSr. Pirotecnicmurpho999kryogenOhNoYouDidn'tcurry-muff[Deleted User]Kev_ps3tomred1keane2097LuckyCharms 46 votes
    14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    45%
    Ping Chow ChiLocoBounty HunterBlistermanFighting Irishyom 1KiithMaceFacemikemacHavermeyerbreadmonkeytvnutzLister1dor83Mitch ConnorJulezKinetic^Tristramraddo[Deleted User] 114 votes
    18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    33%
    RasTaPHBVokesSeanehHelixmachiavellianmeKoldpeterk19jesus_thats_greT-b0n3The RoosterKingp35Dub13SoulessJazzycashbackInquitusDave147TonyD79ciaran76 84 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Bottom 6 i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

12th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    They would be in relegation battle imo.

No better then 16th. At the teams down bottom of EPL they just about good enough to stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    They'd probably finish around 15th now nut if yeh gave them a few years in the PL they'd be challenging for the CL places no doubt especially if they were the only Scottish team to go into the PL.
    A lot of "ifs" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

With their squad as is, probably bottom 3. With the amount of money they'd be able to generate, They'd probably rise to a top 10 side just below the Villas and Evertons (bad example I know, given how both those sides are doing this season) quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Poll added there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My post from the match thread

Not this **** again. This is so juvenile, if Celtic (or even Rangers) were in the EPL, the context will have changed they will massively increase the amount of money available to them (TV money) and players who do not come to the SPL would look at joining.

It is juvenile simply because it is speculation and you are basing one circumstance (playing in the SPL) with another circumstance (playing in the EPL) without taking into account any changes that would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Has this not been done before, but in answer to the OP, mid table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

CSF wrote: »
    With their squad as is, probably bottom 3. With the amount of money they'd be able to generate, They'd probably rise to a top 10 side just below the Villas and Evertons (bad example I know, given how both those sides are doing this season) quickly enough.

They would be a much bigger team than Villa or Everton after a few years.

At the moment 10-15th.

After a few years there would be no reason why they couldn't challenge for the title.

All ifs and buts though.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    My post from the match thread

Not this **** again. This is so juvenile, if Celtic (or even Rangers) were in the EPL, the context will have changed they will massively increase the amount of money available to them (TV money) and players who do not come to the SPL would look at joining.

It is juvenile simply because it is speculation and you are basing one circumstance (playing in the SPL) with another circumstance (playing in the EPL) without taking into account any changes that would happen.
    Precisely what I was saying. With the current squad they probably would struggle, but given a few years I reckon they'd be challenging for the CL. Sure not so long ago they were holding there own very nicely in the CL.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    irish-stew wrote: »
    Has this not been done before, but in answer to the OP, mid table.

Squad is different now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

With the extra money I reckon Celtic would find it easier than some of the lower positioned clubs to consolidate for a few seasons then get challenging the top 4.

They have a huge fanbase, and that counts for a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lower mid table I would imagine!

Mid table or a bit lower.

However, if they were in the EPL for a sustained period they'd be right up there challenging imo.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    One thing I often wondered and forgive my ignorance, but with the gates that Celtic get every week and the huge income they must get from those - why don't they have a bigger transfer budget than they appear to have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

The current team would be in a relegation battle. If they had the EPL money then they would be like Newcastle.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I have no doubt that Celtic would easily finish the season in the top 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    their current squad would struggle to avoid relegation

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

flahavaj wrote: »
    One thing I often wondered and forgive my ignorance, but with the gates that Celtic get every week and the huge income they must get from those - why don't they have a bigger transfer budget than they appear to have?

Suppose those gates and merchandise go largely to pay wages and run the club. TV money in the EPL I would imagine is the key for big transfer budgets. The money for winning the SPL is paltry, hence European games are so so important to Celtic and Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Relegation battlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    With their current squad they would be doing well to avoid relegation. They would probably pick up enough points at home to just about survive.

I'm not sure that they would be challenging after a few years as others have suggested. They would need huge backing to attract real quality players to Scotland - Newcastle and Sunderland don't compete with the attraction of the London and Manchester clubs.

The club is a PLC and is in debt therefore they cannot go spending those stupid sums for players that the EPL teams do. The gate receipts effectively cover the outgoings whilst still reducing the debt.

Have a read of the Money League analysis from Deloitte

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/industries/sportsbusinessgroup/sports/football/deloitte-football-money-league-2011/66f55ec578ffd210VgnVCM2000001b56f00aRCRD.htm
    Deloitte wrote:
    Most strikingly, only three clubs from outside Europe’s ‘big five’ leagues feature in any of our rankings. The Glasgow giants, Celtic and Rangers have not appeared in the Money League since 2006/07 and 2005/06 respectively but they still generated the 10th and 14th highest matchday revenues owing to their phenomenal support. Each club has average league attendances in excess of 45,000. However, the limited size of their domestic broadcast market means that, barring UEFA Champions League success, neither club is likely to reappear in the Money League top 20 in the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

With the current squad you'd have to say relegation zone side. If they had the money to spend (its not a given that they wouldn't sign flops) they would probably be a mid-table/occasional contending for Europe spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Mid table.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

their squad looks to be gelling so I'd say upper mid table if they keep improving this season but not above 8th I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Afaik, a very high percentage of the Parkhead gate is season ticket holders, hence the take at the gate is lower then what it would be at an equivelant sized ground with less season ticket holders

Wrt how Celtic or Rangers would do in England, probably very similar to how Middlesborough are doing, given the number of current Boro players and manager(s) who were playing first team football at the Old Firm sides very recently

I think though that once the TV money started comming in, they would improve vastly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

8-12 comfortably given the sell out crowds and large fan bases I think they'd do ok.
    Although they would lose there champions league money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    How about we flip the question,how would Wolves do in the SPL...?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »

Dreadful, they would be tired with all that travelling :D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Dub13 wrote: »

3rd at worst.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    8-12 comfortably given the sell out crowds and large fan bases I think they'd do ok.
    Although they would lose there champions league money.
    Wouldn't they gain more though overall, in terms of TV rights and bigger crowds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    3rd at worst.

3rd at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

THFC wrote: »
    Wouldn't they gain more though overall, in terms of TV rights and bigger crowds?

They would ya but some would be offset was all I meant.

Definitely, they would be able to increase prices as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    3rd at worst.

Agreed.

Paully D wrote: »
    Agreed.

I wouldn't be so sure, they would have to cut their cloth to suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Players of the caliber Ledley, Rogne, Majstorovich, Stokes, Mulgrew would guarantee a return to The Championship.

Long term they would be a top half of the table team.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Teams would find it difficult at Celtic Park. Their fans are immense as is the atmosphere, much more intimadating than your average EPL ground. Just look at their record there in Europe. They would avoid relegation on home form alone. With their resources they would probably build year on year and would be a comfortable mid-table team within a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

theres no difference between celtic and newcastle, so they would prob have good spells and bad spells, never be challengers tho, would push for europe at best.

current squad would get into playoffs in championship i think

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Does this have to come up everytime they beat Rangers or a european team? Celtic would get nowhere near the top half of the premiership. Just look at their squad and ask yourself, are any of them premiership class players? Joe Ledley is about the only one

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    partyndbs wrote: »
    theres no difference between celtic and newcastle, so they would prob have good spells and bad spells, never be challengers tho, would push for europe at best.

current squad would get into playoffs in championship i think
    Huge difference IMO, Celtic have a good history. More similarities with Liverpool tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Melion wrote: »
    Joe Ledley is about the only one

The myth continues......:confused:

so many celtic players are terrible, gary hooper is one of those players stoke would buy to save them from relegation some season for some big price like 6 million and he would score about 2 goals.

paddy mccourt is an amazing talent but i think he would struggle in prem. niall mcginn is gick. scott brown awful..samaras awful...stokes awful

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Does this have to come up everytime they beat Rangers or a european team? Celtic would get nowhere near the top half of the premiership. Just look at their squad and ask yourself, are any of them premiership class players? Joe Ledley is about the only one

The top half of the EPL currently contains teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke and Newcastle. Hardly top-quality sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Huge difference IMO, Celtic have a good history. More similarities with Liverpool tbh.

We are not talking about history though, Newcastle have a big support base also, the comparison with Newcastle is a good one imo

eh on paper they're much better than celtic...

also celtic arent that big their just big relative to the country they're in. put them in prem they become a small fish in a big pond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Players of the caliber Ledley, Rogne, Majstorovich, Stokes, Mulgrew would guarantee a return to The Championship.

Long term they would be a top half of the table team.

Majstorovich - 40 caps for Sweden. A competent centre half.
    Stokes - On a great run of form. Still only 22.
    Rogne - 20 year old centre half who is doing fine at the moment. Definitely a good prospect.
    Mulgrew - Doing brilliant at centre half.
    Ledley - Gets through an awful amount of work. Talented player..

No world beaters but not Championship standard either.

Premiership class?? By that do you mean someone like Emile Heskey or the 25million pound Joleon Lescott?

Celtic have an exciting squad at the moment. If you watched them then you wouldn't come out with that drivel.

Kayal and Izaguirre have been heavily linked with moves to your beloved Premiership so it's fair to say they are "Premiership class". I'm also sure Hooper, Brown and Ki would make most teams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The myth continues......:confused:

Was a great player at Cardiff, would suit a team like Brum etc

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Majstorovich - 40 caps for Sweden. A competent centre half.
    Stokes - On a great run of form. Still only 22.
    Rogne - 20 year old centre half who is doing fine at the moment. Definitely a good prospect.
    Mulgrew - Doing brilliant at centre half.
    Ledley - Gets through an awful amount of work. Talented player..

No world beaters but not Championship standard either.

Stokes? are you kidding me? hes found his level in league 2(SPL) ledley, a good championship player and would do decent in premiership but he is a championship player. mulgrew(Nobody) majstrovish well caps for a country dont tell you much aka paul mcshane..rogne cant comment

if people want to see the standard of spl take a look at middlesboro..thats the kind of team scott brown and co. would be at home in

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement