Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I'm also sure Hooper, Brown and Ki would make most teams.

Where did they sign him from again? League 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Majstorovich - 40 caps for Sweden. A competent centre half.
    Stokes - On a great run of form. Still only 22.
    Rogne - 20 year old centre half who is doing fine at the moment. Definitely a good prospect.
    Mulgrew - Doing brilliant at centre half.
    Ledley - Gets through an awful amount of work. Talented player..

No world beaters but not Championship standard either.

Premiership class?? By that do you mean someone like Emile Heskey or the 25million pound Joleon Lescott?

Celtic have an exciting squad at the moment. If you watched them then you wouldn't come out with that drivel.

Kayal and Izaguirre have been heavily linked with moves to your beloved Premiership so it's fair to say they are "Premiership class". I'm also sure Hooper, Brown and Ki would make most teams.

so much wrong with that post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    I'm also sure Hooper, Brown and Ki would make most teams.

Which PL teams would they get into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    Warper wrote: »
    The top half of the EPL currently contains teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke and Newcastle. Hardly top-quality sides.

Sunderland have a really talented team. Bolton and Newcastle have pretty good teams as well Stoke while people may not like their style are very effective certainly not yeams you should take for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    partyndbs wrote: »
    Stokes? are you kidding me? hes found his level in league 2(SPL) ledley, a good championship player and would do decent in premiership but he is a championship player. mulgrew(Nobody) majstrovish well caps for a country dont tell you much aka paul mcshane..rogne cant comment

No I'm not "kidding you". Stokes is an excellent finisher. Has put his head down and his working hard at the minute. Certainly couldn't have found his level at 22 years of age.

Ledley was wanted by Roma and Liverpool apparently.

Majstorivic does his job well. Big centre half with plenty of experience.
    What has McShane got to do with anything? He carved out a career in the Premiership, what does that say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

no he didnt

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Melion wrote: »
    Does this have to come up everytime they beat Rangers or a european team? Celtic would get nowhere near the top half of the premiership. Just look at their squad and ask yourself, are any of them premiership class players? Joe Ledley is about the only one

Kinda shows you don't watch Celtic if you really believe that. Kayal and Izaguirre for starters are better players than Ledley imo and both would do well in the EPL. Hooper is one of the best natural finishers I've seen for a while in the SPL.

Stokes, Ki, Commons, Ledley, McCourt, Samaras, Maloney (when not with the doc) and Majstorovic possibly are good enough imo to be in most EPL squads outside the top 7 or 8 I'd say.

And that's the current squad. Celtic in the EPL over time would be top 10.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Ledley was wanted by Roma and Liverpool apparently.

your thinking of ledley king maybe:p

PauloMN wrote: »
    Kinda shows you don't watch Celtic if you really believe that. Kayal and Izaguirre for starters are better players than Ledley imo and both would do well in the EPL. Hooper is one of the best natural finishers I've seen for a while in the SPL.

Stokes, Ki, Commons, Ledley, McCourt, Samaras, Maloney (when not with the doc) and Majstorovic possibly are good enough imo to be in most EPL squads outside the top 7 or 8 I'd say.

samaras stokes mccourt and majstrovic would not start for any team in epl, they would be benchwarmers...commons would be a rotated player at someone like wolves/west brom...same with ledley...maloneys alright would never start for anyone

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »

Stokes, Samaras, Maloney all had their chance in the premiership and failed miserably.
    Commons and Ledley were signed from Championship teams.
    Hooper was signed from League 1, Chris Sutton, Kenny Miller and John Hartson looked like good strikers in Scotland
    McCourt would last 15 minutes in a Premiership match, not fit enough. Great player for showboat on Soccer AM though.
    Majstrovic would get destroyed by any decent strikers

Where did they sign him from again? League 1?

Scunthorpe in the Championship. Scored more goals in the Championship last season than 35million Carroll, while with a team fighting against relegation.
    BERBA wrote: »
    so much wrong with that post

What's wrong?
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Which PL teams would they get into?

Most bottom half clubs certainly. Ki and Hooper are still young, will be playing in bigger leagues in a few years, along with Izaguirre and Kayal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

lmao2od9.jpg at some in this thread

Some of the comments in this thread are :eek: :eek:

I bet you my mortgage that a lot of people here have only seen 5 mins (if that) of Celtic and now they are experts :pac:

guys look at kris boyd just shows u how terrible spl is

partyndbs wrote: »
    guys look at kris boyd just shows u how terrible spl is

Yeah but we knew boydochenko was sh1te before he moved ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I think if Celtic football club in its current carnation and squad would get relegated from the Premiership. Its a worse squad than Wigan.

However if Celtic could stay in the premier league no reason why within a few years they couldn't start moving up the table and into maybe the Europa League.

Think about it. They'd be able to attract better players because the in the premier league, they would get far more money, they have a huge 60,000 seater stadium in Parkhead. That would be a gold mine once they are in the premier league.

Celtic the past 7 years I think have just been happy to accept mediocrity, bring in mediocre players, bring in mediocre mangers etc. The ambition just isn't there. Rangers are practically broke but Celtic don't have that excuse. If Celtic got into the prem, purely hypothetical, I think the ambition would come back and they would become a top 10 side under decent management.

• Advertisement

he exelled in that league thats a fact. the spls to be admired look at it compared to ireland but just the quality is bad league 2 level bad

Celtic the past 7 years I think have just been happy to accept mediocrity, bring in mediocre players, bring in mediocre mangers etc. The ambition just isn't there. Rangers are practically broke but Celtic don't have that excuse. If Celtic got into the prem, purely hypothetical, I think the ambition would come back and they would become a top 10 side under decent management.

Absolutely spot on

Stokes, Samaras, Maloney all had their chance in the premiership and failed miserably.
    Commons and Ledley were signed from Championship teams.
    Hooper was signed from League 1, Chris Sutton, Kenny Miller and John Hartson looked like good strikers in Scotland
    McCourt would last 15 minutes in a Premiership match, not fit enough. Great player for showboat on Soccer AM though.
    Majstrovic would get destroyed by any decent strikers

So what a few players failed in England. Charlie Adam failed at Rangers and is know doing well in the Premiership. What's your point?

You keep on saying "he's signed from league 1" and using it as an argument..So what? Players rise through the leagues all the time. Celtic can't afford big signings so they have to gamble on players. Hooper and Commons look like excellent signings.

Sutton was a great player, didn't he not play a big part in helping Blackburn win the league. Always did the business for Celtic in Europe too, same goes for Hartson. I hate Kenny Miller.

Who said anything about McCourt? His fitness has improved this season.

I already said Majstorovic isn't a world beater, he does a decent job. Was singed to bring some experience into the team. Nobody is bigging him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

With this squad probably 8th. With the money from the PL they would be a bigger prospect. Probably within 2 years challenging for 5th and building on that. They already have the stadium

So what a few players failed in England. Charlie Adam failed at Rangers and is know doing well in the Premiership. What's your point?

You keep on saying "he's signed from league 1" and using it as an argument..So what? Players rise through the leagues all the time. Celtic can't afford big signings so they have to gamble on players. Hooper and Commons look like excellent signings.

Sutton was a great player, didn't he not play a big part in helping Blackburn win the league. Always did the business for Celtic in Europe too, same goes for Hartson. I hate Kenny Miller.

Who said anything about McCourt? His fitness has improved this season.

I already said Majstorovic isn't a world beater, he does a decent job. Was singed to bring some experience into the team. Nobody is bigging him up.

All the Celtic players i mentioned were brought up by PaoloMN who said they would all be good enough for premiership squads

• Advertisement

Sutton was a great player, didn't he not play a big part in helping Blackburn win the league. Always did the business for Celtic in Europe too, same goes for Hartson.

Melion is obviously an EPL noob as he does not remember SAS!

shearer5burn400x300.jpg

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Sutton was a great player, didn't he not play a big part in helping Blackburn win the league. QUOTE]

suttons best years were behind him when he went to celtic to pick up his pension ,same as roy keane , when a blokes career is coming to an end head for celtic , easy money to pick up off em in a rubbish league, while i think of it robbie keane is another, paul gazza with rangers another...the list is endless.

your thinking of ledley king maybe:p

Nah I'm not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8714916.stm

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/127469-liverpool-fc-to-swoop-for-blackburn-rovers-target-joe-ledley.html

Also what was wrong with my previous post?

Seems to me all you can do is snipe at posts and not debate.

shearer5burn400x300.jpg

I remember Shearer being a far superior player who made Sutton look a lot better than he was. Just look at his performances for Chelsea, that was the proper Chris Sutton, he was good at Norwich, made to look better at Blackburn, found his level at Celtic

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Most bottom half clubs certainly. Ki and Hooper are still young, will be playing in bigger leagues in a few years, along with Izaguirre and Kayal.

Specifically which ones?

Since i mentioned his time at Norwich, is it just my hazy memory in my old age or did Ruel Fox play a big part in a lot of Suttons goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Sunderland have a really talented team. Bolton and Newcastle have pretty good teams as well Stoke while people may not like their style are very effective certainly not yeams you should take for granted.

If Celtic faced any of the above over 2 legs, I would fancy Celtic to at least win the home leg.

I remember Shearer being a far superior player who made Sutton look a lot better than he was. Just look at his performances for Chelsea, that was the proper Chris Sutton, he was good at Norwich, made to look better at Blackburn, found his level at Celtic

You really are hilarious

internettroll.jpg

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Sutton was a great player, didn't he not play a big part in helping Blackburn win the league. QUOTE]

suttons best years were behind him when he went to celtic to pick up his pension ,same as roy keane , when a blokes career is coming to an end head for celtic , easy money to pick up off em in a rubbish league, while i think of it robbie keane is another, paul gazza with rangers another...the list is endless.

Kinda like Larrson at Utd or Owen

You really are hilarious

internettroll.jpg

Wow, nice picture. If you've a problem with anything ive posted then hit that little "Report Post" button instead of trying to appear funny in front of your little internet buddies.

• Advertisement

Kinda like Larrson at Utd or Owen

Larsson was fantastic for United. If we could have we would of taken him for the rest of the season.

shearer5burn400x300.jpg

Yeah that was an excellent partnership.

How were Suttons best years behind him when he signed at 27/28? He scored against Barcelona and Juventus to name two. He was excellent for Celtic.

Roy Keane could have gone to Real Madrid when his contract ran out. Would you say that was a retirement home if he had signed for them? No but it fits your argument.

The list isn't endless.

Was Larsson past his prime? No but he was when he signed for Man United.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Le King wrote: »
    Larsson was fantastic for United. If we could have we would of taken him for the rest of the season.

You should have seen him at Celtic when he was in his prime.

How were Suttons best years behind him when he signed at 27/28? He scored against Barcelona and Juventus to name two. He was excellent for Celtic.

Was Larsson past his prime? No but he was when he signed for Man United.

Stokes has been good for Celtic, Kenny Miller was good for Celtic. How did they fare in England?

Larsson was class for United when he signed

I did he was class. He also won Barcelona the Champions League Final in 2006. Completely changed that game.

Specifically which ones?

You get the idea. Would be in around any club bar United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs.. Like I said though they are still young with time to improve.

This is it you see. Larsson was never seen as world class until he made his cameo for Barca in the Champions league final. Despite doing the business for Celtic in Europe and Sweden consistently.

Same goes for the argument with Sutton. People will never accept that good players can play for Celtic. They have to be tested in the magical waters of the EPL first :rolleyes:

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Stokes has been good for Celtic, Kenny Miller was good for Celtic. How did they fare in England?

Larsson was class for United when he signed

Larsson was well past his best by the time he moved to Utd. which suggests the quality of the opposition was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Also to point out because it's been mentioned here a few times, Hooper was signed from the Championship not League 1.

He also scored 2 goals more in the Championship than Andy Carroll last season and cost £32.5mill less!

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    You get the idea. Would be in around any club bar United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs.. Like I said though they are still young with time to improve.

I heartily disagree.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Le King wrote: »
    I did he was class. He also won Barcelona the Champions League Final in 2006. Completely changed that game.

Yes he got 2 assists when coming on as a sub in the second half. He was in his prime at Celtic, even at Barca he was a bit past his best imo. He could barely run by the time he got to Utd.

The guy was simply a great player of which his best form was at Celtic.

I heartily disagree.

I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    The top half of the EPL currently contains teams like Sunderland, Bolton, Stoke and Newcastle. Hardly top-quality sides.

Gordon, Onouha, Mensah, Sessegnon, Muntari, Henderson, Cattermole, Richardson, Malbranque, Welbeck, and Gyan would all walk into SPL sides.

Cahill, Holden, Lee-Chung Yong, Taylor, Petrov, M. Davies and K. Davies would all walk into SPL sides.

Begovic, Huth, Shawcross, Pennant, Etherington, Jones and Carew would all walk into SPL sides.

Harper, Collocini, Enrique, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Ireland would all walk into SPL sides.

Come on now 'Warper', don't get carried away with the standard of the SPL.

Yes he got 2 assists when coming on as a sub in the second half. He was in his prime at Celtic, even at Barca he was a bit past his best imo. He could barely run by the time he got to Utd.

The guy was simply a great player of which his best form was at Celtic.

And I never said any different.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    reason why larson was so good in scotland was because the league was rubbish , id fancy myself to get 20+ goals every season playing against hamilton every week

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Paully D wrote: »
    Gordon, Onouha, Mensah, Sessegnon, Muntari, Henderson, Richardson, Malbranque, Welbeck, and Gyan would all walk into SPL sides.

Cahill, Holden, Lee-Chung Yong, Taylor, Petrov, M. Davies and K. Davies would all walk into SPL sides.

Begovic, Huth, Shawcross, Pennant, Etherington, Jones and Carew would all walk into SPL sides.

Harper, Collocini, Enrique, Nolan, Barton, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Ireland would all walk into SPL sides.

Come on now 'Warper', don't get carried away with the standard of the SPL.

The standard of the SPL is way below the EPL but Celtic and Rangers are big fish. Utd couldnt beat Rangers home or away in the CL this season. Celtic were unbeaten for years at home in the CL up to recently. They are both big teams with tremendous grounds and support.

I wouldnt fancy the majority of the EPL sides to get a result at either Celtic Park or Ibrox. People always dismiss the SPL but Celtic or Rangers would easily survive in the EPL. Primarily because of their home form in the first season, then they would improve.

• Advertisement

The standard of the SPL is way below the EPL but Celtic and Rangers are big fish. Utd couldnt beat Rangers home or away in the CL this season. Celtic were unbeaten for years at home in the CL up to recently. They are both big teams with tremendous grounds and support.

I wouldnt fancy the majority of the EPL sides to get a result at either Celtic Park or Ibrox. People always dismiss the SPL but Celtic or Rangers would easily survive in the EPL. Primarily because of their home form in the first season, then they would improve.

No they're not

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    The standard of the SPL is way below the EPL but Celtic and Rangers are big fish. Utd reserves couldnt beat Rangers home or away in the CL this season. Celtic were unbeaten for years at home in the CL up to recently. They are both big teams with tremendous grounds and support.

FYP.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    No they're not

Eh?

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    FYP.

Same as Utd couldnt beat Celtic a few years back.

No they're not

You think a big club is defined by television money.

To me a 'big club' is one that has a worldwide support, history ( First non latin team to win the European cup ) and tradition. To me Celtic are a massive club.

Are Man City a big club in your opinion?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement