Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I think those on about Larrson and Sutton et al are getting caught up in a different era.

After Rangers had won 11 leagues in 12 years Celtic had to improve to finally beat Rangers and the whole level of Scottish football rose as two good teams fought for leagues. Celtic around 2003 would have been about the level of maybe Spurs currently and would have been fighting for a Champions League place were they in the epl at the time.

Now Celtic know that mediocrity is enough to beat Rangers and both clubs and the Scottish game is suffering as a result. Mediocrity is so embedded in the game above Hadrian's wall that it will become difficult to root out. That's why I believe that the current Celtic squad would be relegation candidates. Let's compare the squad with Wigan;

1 Chris Kirkland 2 Steve Gohouri 3 Antolín Alcaraz (vice-captain) 4 James McCarthy 5 Gary Caldwell (club captain) 6 Hendry Thomas 7 Franco Di Santo 8 Ben Watson 10 Charles N'Zogbia 11 Victor Moses 12 Mike Pollitt 13 Steven Caldwell 14 Jordi Gómez 15 Tom Cleverley 16 James McArthur 17 Emmerson Boyce 18 Conor Sammon20 Hugo Rodallega 21 Mohamed Diamé 23 Ronnie Stam 24 Adrián López 26 Ali Al-Habsi 28 Daniël de Ridder 31 Maynor Figueroa.

2 Andreas Hinkel 3 Emilio Izaguirre 4 Efraín Juárez 5 Daniel Majstorović 7 Freddie Ljungberg 8 Scott Brown (captain) 9 Georgios Samaras 10 Anthony Stokes 11 Cha Du-Ri 12 Mark Wilson 13 Shaun Maloney 14 Niall McGinn 15 Kris Commons 16 Joe Ledley 18 Ki Sung-Yueng 20 Paddy McCourt 21 Charlie Mulgrew 22 Glenn Loovens 24 Łukasz Załuska 25 Thomas Rogne 26 Fraser Forster 27 Daryl Murphy 33 Beram Kalal 88 Gary Hooper.

Wigan wins every time as far as I'm concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Warper wrote: »
    Eh?

You said they are big teams, i said no they're not. Where's the confusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    BERBA wrote: »
    reason why larson was so good in scotland was because the league was rubbish , id fancy myself to get 20+ goals every season playing against hamilton every week

you have just proved that you have no fecking idea what you are talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    The standard of the SPL is way below the EPL but Celtic and Rangers are big fish. Utd couldnt beat Rangers home or away in the CL this season. Celtic were unbeaten for years at home in the CL up to recently. They are both big teams with tremendous grounds and support.

Here's me thinking Rooney scored a pen at ibrox and utd won 1-0 ;)

Melion wrote: »

OK, why are they not big teams?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You think a big club is defined by television money.

To me a 'big club' is one that has a worldwide support, history ( First non latin team to win the European cup ) and tradition. To me Celtic are a massive club.

Are Man City a big club in your opinion?

Not at all.

And i wouldnt say Celtic have a worldwide support unless you count Ireland and Scotland as worldwide

And no, City are not a big club

OK, why are they not big teams?

Would you class them at the same level as United, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Milan, Inter, Juve etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

How would they not be big clubs? They both have gate receipts in the Top 20 teams in Europe. Celtic have won the European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    The standard of the SPL is way below the EPL but Celtic and Rangers are big fish. Utd couldnt beat Rangers home or away in the CL this season. Celtic were unbeaten for years at home in the CL up to recently. They are both big teams with tremendous grounds and support.

I wouldnt fancy the majority of the EPL sides to get a result at either Celtic Park or Ibrox. People always dismiss the SPL but Celtic or Rangers would easily survive in the EPL. Primarily because of their home form in the first season, then they would improve.

Good post.

Once Celtic and Rangers started to get a grip on the TV money etc then they'd have a good base to start building on. However, as I've pointed out the teams you said are ''hardly-top quality'' already have 7/8 players who would get into Celtic/Rangers starting 11. That's a hell of a gap to breach and you've got to remember that the likes of Sunderland have big spending power too. I also think they'd survive first season (barely) but it would take a lot longer than 1 season in the Premier League to start improving greatly.

It's a pointless arguement anyway, as Fenerbache have as much chance as playing in the Premier League than Celtic/Rangers do, and rightly so too.

How would they not be big clubs? They both have gate receipts in the Top 20 teams in Europe. Celtic have won the European Cup.

Parkhead is bigger than Anfield, they get a bigger crowd. Are they bigger than Liverpool?

Nottm Forest have won the European Cup twice, are they bigger than Celtic?

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    you have just proved that you have no fecking idea what you are talking about

and you do with your hoop coloured specs on , do yourself a favour and take em off :rolleyes:

1 Chris Kirkland 2 Steve Gohouri 3 Antolín Alcaraz (vice-captain) 4 James McCarthy 5 Gary Caldwell (club captain) 6 Hendry Thomas 7 Franco Di Santo 8 Ben Watson 10 Charles N'Zogbia 11 Victor Moses 12 Mike Pollitt 13 Steven Caldwell 14 Jordi Gómez 15 Tom Cleverley 16 James McArthur 17 Emmerson Boyce 18 Conor Sammon20 Hugo Rodallega 21 Mohamed Diamé 23 Ronnie Stam 24 Adrián López 26 Ali Al-Habsi 28 Daniël de Ridder 31 Maynor Figueroa.

Nah, Caldwell, McArthur, McCarthy & Sammon are absolute sh1te. They must be, they played in the SPL :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

They would probably be mid table, maybe 11-15th but if they had the money that the ELP clubs got they would finish in the top 6 easily.

After all, they are one of the biggest names in world football and if they were playing the EPL they would have no problem attracting players.

Would you class them at the same level as United, Liverpool, Real, Barca, Milan, Inter, Juve etc?

You would rather answer a question with a question. Hmmm

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    I think those on about Larrson and Sutton et al are getting caught up in a different era.

After Rangers had won 11 leagues in 12 years Celtic had to improve to finally beat Rangers and the whole level of Scottish football rose as two good teams fought for leagues. Celtic around 2003 would have been about the level of maybe Spurs currently and would have been fighting for a Champions League place were they in the epl at the time.

Now Celtic know that mediocrity is enough to beat Rangers and both clubs and the Scottish game is suffering as a result. Mediocrity is so embedded in the game above Hadrian's wall that it will become difficult to root out. That's why I believe that the current Celtic squad would be relegation candidates. Let's compare the squad with Wigan;

2 Andreas Hinkel 3 Emilio Izaguirre 4 Efraín Juárez 5 Daniel Majstorović 7 Freddie Ljungberg 8 Scott Brown (captain) 9 Georgios Samaras 10 Anthony Stokes 11 Cha Du-Ri 12 Mark Wilson 13 Shaun Maloney 14 Niall McGinn 15 Kris Commons 16 Joe Ledley 18 Ki Sung-Yueng 20 Paddy McCourt 21 Charlie Mulgrew 22 Glenn Loovens 24 Łukasz Załuska 25 Thomas Rogne 26 Fraser Forster 27 Daryl Murphy 33 Beram Kalal 88 Gary Hooper.

OMG, some EPL fans people are so hateful of the SPL. They dont want Celtic in the EPL out of fear.

and you do with your hoop coloured specs on , do yourself a favour and take em off :rolleyes:

There is a colour hoop? :confused:

You would rather answer a question with a question. Hmmm

I dont class them as big clubs because they dont have the history of the clubs i mentioned, they dont have the players of the clubs i mentioned, they dont have anything in common with any of those clubs. Now over to you to tell me whey they are big clubs.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Parkhead is bigger than Anfield, they get a bigger crowd. Are they bigger than Liverpool?

Nottm Forest have won the European Cup twice, are they bigger than Celtic?

Tell me how are they not a big club?

OMG, some EPL fans people are so hateful of the SPL. They dont want Celtic in the EPL out of fear.

Good one :D
    Fear of what?

• Advertisement

You said they are a big club because they have big attendances and Celtic have won the European cup. That doesnt make a big club, or maybe it does and Nottm Forest and Aston Villa are massive clubs too

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

I think if Celtic football club in its current carnation and squad would get relegated from the Premiership. Its a worse squad than Wigan.

You do know Wigan's captain was one of the worst centre halves we've had in years?

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

look at the players they attract , from the dregs of the championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    You do know Wigan's captain was one of the worst centre halves we've had in years?

Was thinking that, was glad to see the back of him.

Nah, Caldwell, McArthur, McCarthy & Sammon are absolute sh1te. They must be, they played in the SPL :pac: :pac:

That's not the point though that automatically they're ****e. They are decent players, well McArthur and McCarthy anyway and moving to Wigan would develop them far more than playing for Celtic or Rangers. Were the both clubs to move to England I'm sure with the money and league quality both squads would be far improved.

Celtic and Rangers are victims of geography as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    man utd, arsenal, chelsea, man city, spurs, liverpool, sunderland, everton, aston villa all have better squads than celtic, i dont think celtic would get relegated so i think they would finish somewhere between 10th & 17th place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

It's not that at all. It's because they're Scottish sides and therefore rightly play in a Scottish league.

Real Madrid and Barcelona should also be considering for the Premier League if Celtic and Rangers are, shouldn't they?. After all, they play in a different country and are part of a 2 horse title race almost every season.

Oh, and Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham didn't have an established league to join when they became part of English leagues, whereas Celtic and Rangers obviously did, just in case you were going to refer to them as many people do, in this weekly discussion ;)

Precisely why he was Scottish writers and Spl player of the year in 2009 I've no doubt.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Celtic can only go so far due to the money in the SPL. It is basic economics. There is fcuk all TV money which leads to lower sponsorship, money etc.. If they were in the EPL, they would attract more TV money, sponsorship etc.. The current Celtic team would easily avoid relegation and within a few years would be a comfortable Top 10 side. From there, with Celtic's fanbase anything could happen. They have a greater European pedigree than most of the teams in the EPL as it is.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

Celtic and Rangers are victims of geography as much as anything else.

dont agree , both clubs get in the champions league year in year out all be it getting knocked out straight away , whereas only 4 clubs in the EPL get in to that competition, thats all wrong.

That's not the point though that automatically they're ****e. They are decent players.

Woah, you better watch, the EPL brigade will be out to get you :pac:

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    dont agree , both clubs get in the champions league year in year out all be it getting knocked out straight away , whereas only 4 clubs in the EPL get in to that competition, thats all wrong.

Is this what you are doing now Andy Gray?

Your only jealous coz you know the Spurs ain't gonna manage Champions League this year! ;)

But yeah I understand your point but I don't necessarily agree with it.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Your only jealous coz you know the Spurs ain't gonna manage Champions League this year! ;)

But yeah I understand your point but I don't necessarily agree with it.

thats exactly what i mean , celtic will get in to champo league next season and spurs might not and compare both squads:eek:

geography me ar$e ...all wrong.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

Btw you are right. Only Champions should play in the "Champions League"

Celtic vs Ac Milan 2006 last 16
    Celtic vs Barcelona 2007 last 16

You're making a fool out of yourself.

Only 4 clubs get into the Champions league? Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

There are some very anglocentric posts on this thread.

Celtic and Rangers have HUGE fanbases, much more than most of the EPL

They have merchandising operations bigger than most of the EPL

They have stadia bigger than most of the EPL.

They have competed with, and regularly beaten, EPL opposition in Europe over the past 10 years. Celtic have beaten Man United, Liverpool and Blackburn, the latter two with ease.

The only difference is the tv money. And if Celtic or Rangers had it, they would be competing in a short space of time for the CL places.

Anyone who thinks Celtic would be relegated from the EPL at the moment really need to reassess either how good they think the EPL is, how bad they think Celtic are, or both

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Btw you are right. Only Champions should play in the "Champions League"

dont mention that to any pool fans :p

thats exactly what i mean , celtic will get in to champo league next season and spurs might not and compare both squads:eek:

Feck it. Let's take out all the European teams in the Champions league and put in all the English ones for the craic. That would make Berba happy.

Spurs deserve to be in there because their squad looks good on paper, not because they might fail to qualify and are therefore undeserving.

Do you look at what you type??

Eh?

Celtic have beaten Man U, Milan, Juve and Barca, amongst other sides, in the CL and qualified for the last 16 twice (in fact, the last two times they qualified for the group stages).

What are you arguing? The CL should be English clubs only

Its difficult to be as wrong as you are, but keep it up anyway

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Feck it. Let's take out all the European teams in the Champions league and put in all the English ones for the craic. That would make Berba happy.

Spurs deserve to be in there because their squad looks good on paper, not because they might fail to qualify and are therefore undeserving.

Do you look at what you type??

you'd be better off because the english teams are flying in it this season , remind me who celtic are playing in the last 16 of the champ league?

or even better remind me who they are playing in last 32 of europa league?

no need , i'll have a word with some bloke from utrecht , he might be able to tell me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

you'd be better off because the english teams are flying in it this season , remind me who celtic are playing in the last 16 of the champ league?

no need , i'll have a word with some bloke from utrecht , he might be able to tell me:rolleyes:

So what? Celtic didn't achieve their usual standards in Europe this year. So Scottish clubs should be thrown out of Europe?

We all know no English club will come close to winning the CL, should we restrict it to Spanish and Italian sides?

You are some tulip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    If they managed to survive a few seasons and were able to build their finances, I think that both clubs could establish themselves as being top 10 clubs. It would be pretty tight for the first 5 years though I think.

I can't believe I spent the last couple of hours discussing this juvenile **** with the likes of BERBA and Melion who probably wouldn't recognise talent if it smacked them in the gob. They epitomise what is wrong with football these days.

One season in the Champions league and you think Spurs are the business.

Celtic have been competing in that competition for years, we've even won it. Just taking a break this season, you probably won't be in it next year.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    One season in the Champions league and you think Spurs are the business.

Celtic have been competing in that competition for years, we've even won it. Just taking a break this season, you probably won't be in it next year.

you putting words in my mouth now son:rolleyes:

If they managed to survive a few seasons and were able to build their finances, I think that both clubs could establish themselves as being top 10 clubs. It would be pretty tight for the first 5 years though I think.

In the last 10 years Celtic have played 3 English sides in Europe.

They knocked Blackburn and Liverpool out in the UEFA Cup. They beat Man U away and lost at home in the CL.

Why exactly would they be whipping boys on that form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

ONLY 4 CLUBS from the EPL??? See, this is the ****e.Its the CHAMPIONS league bud. 1 team from each country in Europe is the way it should be. But money dictates and because of this England has 4(yes 4 CHAMPIONS).Sad state of affairs TBH.But Money rules nowadays.andy carroll-35mil.Jeebus Im so flabbergasted by that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What the hell are you talking about?? You have a problem with clubs from other countries qualifying for the Champions League when Spurs don't???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

5th -10th (Europa League/Upper mid Table)
    there'd be no problem attracting foreign players either, especially with the extra revenue. just take the e out of epl first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

In the last 10 years Celtic have played 3 English sides in Europe.

They knocked Blackburn and Liverpool out in the UEFA Cup. They beat Man U away and lost at home in the CL.

Why exactly would they be whipping boys on that form?
    I dont know.But Im sure the EPL fanboys will tell you.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement