Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    Around 10th to 15th, mid table safety.

However, they would generate huge amount of cash through sponsorship, TV money, prize money and ticket price hikes.

Give them two to three years and they'd push for European qualification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    I dont know.But Im sure the EPL fanboys will tell you.:D

3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. Top 6 form.

But Celtic would struggle?!?

PH, do you reckon the English fanboys simply overestimate how good the EPL is, underestimate how good the Glasgow clubs are or are just generally ignorant?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Precisely why he was Scottish writers and Spl player of the year in 2009 I've no doubt.

If you had seen the games I've seen him play you'd know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

PH, do you reckon the English fanboys simply overestimate how good the EPL is, underestimate how good the Glasgow clubs are or are just generally ignorant?

All of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Around 10th to 15th, mid table safety.

However, they would generate huge amount of cash through sponsorship, TV money, prize money and ticket price hikes.

Give them two to three years and they'd push for European qualification
    2-3 years and Celtic would be on a par with Man U.Thats just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would say the latter as I cannot believe someone with the facts will spout the sh1te that was spouted here tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

you would need a whole new team to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i think the current celtic team would be high to mid table championship - but with gates , additional money they would get from being in england , and subsequent good signings, over 3 years they would be a mid table / to / top end level - Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    In the last 10 years Celtic have played 3 English sides in Europe.

They knocked Blackburn and Liverpool out in the UEFA Cup. They beat Man U away and lost at home in the CL.

Why exactly would they be whipping boys on that form?

To quote a headline on Football365 right now:
    It's Official: Leyton Orient Are Better Than Barcelona

Performances in knock out competitions aren't indicative of very much at all.

• Advertisement

But Celtic would struggle?!?

A good mixture of all 3.Definately ignorant though.That one stands out. They should take a trip to Paradise for an Old Firm game and see what a real game is about.What a real support is about. And see fans with a GENUINE love for their club.Not because "Man U are the best".CFC uber alles;)

oconnon9 wrote: »
    doubt it.
    I dont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Paully D wrote: »
    Real Madrid and Barcelona should also be considering for the Premier League if Celtic and Rangers are, shouldn't they?. After all, they play in a different country and are part of a 2 horse title race almost every season.

Ah now, that comparison is really stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

Exactly and some have the opposite opinion :)

Anyway its not going to happen :)

To quote a headline on Football365 right now:

Performances in knock out competitions aren't indicative of very much at all.
    Always an excuse. A well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham all play league football.

And it's quite possible Cardiff and Swansea will play in the EPL very soon.
    But mention a Scottish team and a huge debate kicks off :confused:

Wales have their own league, I do understand the top Welsh sides made an agreement with the FA in England.
    But if Welsh teams can do it, so can the Scottish one day but I'm not even saying it'll be this decade. Could be a long way away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No they wouldn't. The Man City project has been up and running for two and a half years and they still aren't on a par with United.

Celtic, despite a decent cash injection from tv revenue etc, would not come close to having as much money at their disposal so would be buying players of a much lesser calibre than City have.

I don't see how they could out do what City have done thus far in the same amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

You're deluded. Man City have had infinite money for 3 years now and are still not established in the CL, nevermind ona par with United.

Edit: snap Xavi. City and United fan in agreement shocker. Only an SPL fanboi with a chip on his shoulder could do that. :pac:

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Another bloke looking for a pension , where will i go? i'll go to Celtic

Freddie Ljungberg:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. The Man City project has been up and running for two and a half years and they still aren't on a par with United.

Celtic, despite a decent cash injection from tv revenue etc, would not come close to having as much money at their disposal so would be buying players of a much lesser calibre than City have.

I don't see how they could out do what City have done thus far in the same amount of time.

I think Celtic would be a big attraction to some top players.

We wouldn't have to pay over the odds for average players like Lescott, Barry, Bridge etc.

It's all open to debate though of course.

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Exactly and some have the opposite opinion :)

Anyway its not going to happen :)
    So whats your opinion? I reckon it will happen in my lifetime.Look at how the European Cup was revamped into the CL.Celtic and :mad:ers have outgrown the SPL.Celtic & :mad:ers will be in some sort of a set up with EPL clubs within 10 years.Im convinced of this.Money talks and having Celtic and :mad:ers will enhance the english clubs financially.Celtic would then overtake united with all the extra revenue we'd recieve;).

BERBA wrote: »
    Another bloke looking for a pension , where will i go? i'll go to Celtic

Freddie Ljungberg:D
    Hes a backup player-Im sure you know this but lets not let facts get in the way of a good:D.Free transfer FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

In the last 10 years Celtic have played 3 English sides in Europe.

They knocked Blackburn and Liverpool out in the UEFA Cup. They beat Man U away and lost at home in the CL.

Why exactly would they be whipping boys on that form?

Why are you leaving out games on purpose to suit your agenda?

You've left out an additional 3-1 loss to Arsenal, 2-0 loss to Arsenal, 3-0 loss to Man Utd and 2-2 draw with Man Utd.

So rather than the 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss you like to claim, it's actually 3 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses, and that's just off the top of my head.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    So whats your opinion? I reckon it will happen in my lifetime.Look at how the European Cup was revamped into the CL.Celtic and :mad:ers have outgrown the SPL.Celtic & :mad:ers will be in some sort of a set up with EPL clubs within 10 years.Im convinced of this.Money talks and having Celtic and :mad:ers will enhance the english clubs financially.Celtic would then overtake united with all the extra revenue we'd recieve;).

super-cool-story-bro.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Manchester United = 75,000 Stadium.

Celtic = 60,000 Stadium.

I could go on and compare fanbase, sponsorship, teams, reputation and manager. But no I won't. Because quite simply the above post is the height of arse talk.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham all play league football.

And it's quite possible Cardiff and Swansea will play in the EPL very soon.
    But mention a Scottish team and a huge debate kicks off :confused:

Wales have their own league, I do understand the top Welsh sides made an agreement with the FA in England.
    But if Welsh teams can do it, so can the Scottish one day but I'm not even saying it'll be this decade. Could be a long way away
    Cardiff aren't getting thrown straight into the PL though, which is what people want for Celtic/Rangers. Cardiff worked their way through the leagues.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

flahavaj wrote: »
    You're deluded. Man City have had infinite money for 3 years now and are still not established in the CL, nevermind ona par with United.

Edit: snap Xavi. City and United fan in agreement shocker. Only an SPL fanboi with a chip on his shoulder could do that. :pac:
    Man City havent bought properly.Thats their own fault.Kicking off Bellamy(their player of the year beforehand), and dropping the best keeper in EPL(shay) proves that their just a disaster of a club.Celtic arent man city FFS.Our fanbase is about twentyfold what theirs is.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Man City havent bought properly.Thats their own fault.Kicking off Bellamy(their player of the year beforehand), and dropping the best keeper in EPL(shay) proves that their just a disaster of a club.Celtic arent man city FFS.Our fanbase is about twentyfold what theirs is.

yeah thats spot on ...not! why get rid of bellamy when you only got tevez as a backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

dropping the best keeper in EPL(shay) proves that their just a disaster of a club

Best in the PL?

Would you get a clue, he's not even the best at City ffs.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

I wonder what they have in common.:rolleyes:

The City case simply demonstrates that getting a big cash injection is no guarantee of success. Thinking Celtic will overtake United in 2-3 years is laughable and deluded. The size of their fanbase really doesn't make a difference when a club that has infinite resiurces hasn't managed it.

Ye would need to literally buy a new squad pf players. Whats to say Lennon, amanager of six months' experience, would spend any better than City have? You're being optimistic in the extreme. Its the stupidest thing I've read on here in years.

cson wrote: »
    Manchester United = 75,000 Stadium.

Celtic = 60,000 Stadium.

I could go on and compare fanbase, sponsorship, teams, reputation and manager. But no I won't. Because quite simply the above post is the height of arse talk.
    75,000 fandan "united fans"-half of em schoolkids from the far- east on a school tour.If yee were playing the likes of falkirk or st mirren every week would ye have that level of support.No.We have REAL FANS. As Roy Keane said-PRAWN SANDWICH EATERS.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Given isn't the best 'keeper at City anymore, tbh, never mind the whole league.

You may have a point with the fanbase argument, though. However, it would take a lot longer than three years for Celtic to be on a par with United.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

If it was to happen and I still believe it won't, I think Celtic would do well to finish mid table, certainly in the first few seasons, I honestly could not see them doing much in the first few years, as mentioned by Xavi, just look at Man city, all they money they have and they are far from certain to qualify for the CL this season.

After a few years, who knows, obviously you have great crowds, so money coming in, tv money and possible takeover and with all due respect to the SPL, you would be in a position to attract some "good" players.

It won't happen though ;) How do you think Rangers would do ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

5th -10th (Europa League/Upper mid Table)
    Celtic and Rangers are two of the biggest clubs in Britain. However, they are in a poor league hence they don't attract the quality of players that English clubs do. However, if they were in the English league they would attract much better players. Futhermore, they'd benefit from greater revenue through improved sponsorship and TV deals. Their fanbase is already second to none and they would easily sell out 60,000 seats plus a week.

I find it laughable that people are considering this hypothetical situation without taking into account the fact that a Premiership Rangers or Celtic would be totally different beasts than the ones currently feasting on the easy prey that makes up the SPL.

If it was to happen and I still believe it won't, I think Celtic would do well to finish mid table, certainly in the first few seasons, I honestly could not see them doing much in the first few years, as mentioned by Xavi, just look at Man city, all they money they have and they are far from certain to qualify for the CL this season.

After a few years, who knows, obviously you have great crowds, so money coming in, tv money and possible takeover and with all due respect to the SPL, you would be in a position to attract some "good" players.

It won't happen though ;) How do you think Rangers would do ? :p
    Rangers would be the new West Ham.Always flirting with the championship.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Celtic and Rangers are two of the biggest clubs in Britain. However, they are in a poor league hence they don't attract the quality of players that English clubs do. However, if they were in the English league they would attract much better players. Futhermore, they'd benefit from greater revenue through improved sponsorship and TV deals. Their fanbase is already second to none and they would easily sell out 60,000 seats plus a week.

I find it laughable that people are considering this hypothetical situation without taking into account the fact that a Premiership Rangers or Celtic would be totally different beasts than the ones currently feasting on the easy prey that makes up the SPL.

I think you will find there fan base is indeed second to 2 PL teams.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »

Now you talking sense;).This is what im trying to say.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I think you will find there fan base is indeed second to 2 PL teams.
    So despite all the wealth, and "better teams" in the milky bar league only 2 teams can boast higher attendances.That proves my point.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    So despite all the wealth, and "better teams" in the milky bar league only 2 teams can boast higher attendances.That proves my point.

I think someone needs to sit down with you and explain the phrase "second to none."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not really there are a few more teams that could attract up to 60k but are stuck due to stadium capacity.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

Motherwell next weekend , best of luck with that one , tough one that:rolleyes:

Not really there are a few more teams that could attract up to 60k but are stuck due to stadium capacity.

Celtic could have filled a 90,000 stadium today but were stuck due to stadium capacity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

I was referring to fan base,not attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

BERBA wrote: »
    yeah thats spot on ...not! why get rid of bellamy when you only got tevez as a backup

Dont really see your point Bellamy played on the left side of a front three, Tevez played in the centre, what's the comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Celtic could have filled a 90,000 stadium today but were stuck due to stadium capacity.

Fantastic expand it so

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Dont really see your point Bellamy played on the left side of a front three, Tevez played in the centre, what's the comparison.

Actually now that I think of it, if City had Bellamy on the left and Given in goals they'd probably have left United for dust by now.:rolleyes:

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Fantastic expand it so

+1

If they can attract that kind of crowd every second week, they should definitely do that, why haven't they?

Fantastic expand it so

Let these Premiership clubs expand first. They should be able to afford it after winning the sky lotto every season.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    +1

If they can attract that kind of crowd every second week, they should definitely do that, why haven't they?

coz they have spent all their cash buying players like stokes , ledley and hooper;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think someone needs to sit down with you and explain the phrase "second to none."
    I think someone needs to cuddle you and explain that he said "fanbase"-not attendance records.Celtics fanbase stretches worldwide.Youll find a Celtic bar in any city in the world.whenever Im abroad Ive no problems finding a place showing Celtic.Could I say the same if I was a Chelsea(for example) fan?? No way.Celtic are a massive, massive club whether you like to admit it or not.The 60,000 at Celtic Park only represents the hundreds of thousand watching on tv throughout the world.Ive been in packed out bars in NY at 10 in the morning where everyone had to pay $10 to get in to watch. How many clubs in England have better supporters than Celtic? None. All the epl players want celtic as their opposition when a testimonial comes about(Shearer, giggs, scholes etc.).Why is this?Its because they know that celtic fans will fill the away section of the ground and there wont be any trouble.Just craic.;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement