Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    Let these Premiership clubs expand first. They should be able to afford it after winning the sky lotto every season.

Believe it or not Spurs,West Ham, Villa, Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea all are trying to do so planning permission, funds etc are holding this process up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    No they wouldn't. The Man City project has been up and running for two and a half years and they still aren't on a par with United.

Celtic, despite a decent cash injection from tv revenue etc, would not come close to having as much money at their disposal so would be buying players of a much lesser calibre than City have.

I don't see how they could out do what City have done thus far in the same amount of time.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    You're deluded. Man City have had infinite money for 3 years now and are still not established in the CL, nevermind ona par with United.

Edit: snap Xavi. City and United fan in agreement shocker. Only an SPL fanboi with a chip on his shoulder could do that. :pac:
    PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Man City havent bought properly.Thats their own fault.Kicking off Bellamy(their player of the year beforehand), and dropping the best keeper in EPL(shay) proves that their just a disaster of a club.Celtic arent man city FFS.Our fanbase is about twentyfold what theirs is.
    BERBA wrote: »
    yeah thats spot on ...not! why get rid of bellamy when you only got tevez as a backup
    Actually now that I think of it, if City had Bellamy on the left and Given in goals they'd probably have left United for dust by now.:rolleyes:

The Dublin Super Cup will sort this out once and for all....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Actually now that I think of it, if City had Bellamy on the left and Given in goals they'd probably have left United for dust by now.:rolleyes:

:eek: When you put it like that, Mancini OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

fo shu. Crawley Town nearly dusted ye.Pity they didnt.Their a huge club though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

anyone ever tell ya its all about the result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

Super Caley Go Ballistic Celtic Are Atrocious.

Its easy to be childish, lets stick to the debate at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I think someone needs to cuddle you and explain that he said "fanbase"-not attendance records.Celtics fanbase stretches worldwide.Youll find a Celtic bar in any city in the world.whenever Im abroad Ive no problems finding a place showing Celtic.Could I say the same if I was a Chelsea(for example) fan?? No way.Celtic are a massive, massive club whether you like to admit it or not.The 60,000 at Celtic Park only represents the hundreds of thousand watching on tv throughout the world.Ive been in packed out bars in NY at 10 in the morning where everyone had to pay $10 to get in to watch. How many clubs in England have better supporters than Celtic? None. All the epl players want celtic as their opposition when a testimonial comes about(Shearer, giggs, scholes etc.).Why is this?Its because they know that celtic fans will fill the away section of the ground and there wont be any trouble.Just craic.;)

:pac:

But to the matter of numbers. If there were so many Celtic fans around the world how come the TV money for the SPL is rubbish. Surely if there were millions and millions of fans around the world then TV companies would be queuing up and paying massive fee's to show the games.

Im no expert on economics but......
    Loads of fans = Loads of viewers = Loads of Ratings = Loads of subscriptions or advertising = Money for Tv company = Tv companies paying lots of money to show games. Are the TV companies missing something here :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    I think someone needs to cuddle you and explain that he said "fanbase"-not attendance records.Celtics fanbase stretches worldwide.Youll find a Celtic bar in any city in the world.whenever Im abroad Ive no problems finding a place showing Celtic.Could I say the same if I was a Chelsea(for example) fan?? No way.Celtic are a massive, massive club whether you like to admit it or not.The 60,000 at Celtic Park only represents the hundreds of thousand watching on tv throughout the world.Ive been in packed out bars in NY at 10 in the morning where everyone had to pay $10 to get in to watch. How many clubs in England have better supporters than Celtic? None. All the epl players want celtic as their opposition when a testimonial comes about(Shearer, giggs, scholes etc.).Why is this?Its because they know that celtic fans will fill the away section of the ground and there wont be any trouble.Just craic.;)

I don't dispute Celtic are a big club btw. Or even that they would become a major force eventually with Sky TV money in the Prem. But you can't possibly believe ye would realistically overtake United in 2-3 years? Ye would need such a massive overhaul of the playing staff for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Right now Celtic are years behind United, Arsenal, Spurs, City, Chelsea and Liverpool. It would take at least 5 years of consistent investment in talented players for Celtic to reach the upper-levels of the Premier League - that is assuming they would have the financial backing to compete in the transfer market, and that quality players would be prepared to play in Glasgow.

The current Celtic squad would struggle in the lower-third of the Premier League. If they were in the Championship they would probably be somewhere in the play-off picture.

• Advertisement

Pauleta wrote: »
    :pac:

But to the matter of numbers. If there were so many Celtic fans around the world how come the TV money for the SPL is rubbish. Surely if there were millions and millions of fans around the world then TV companies would be queuing up and paying massive fee's to show the games.

Im no expert on economics but......
    Loads of fans = Loads of viewers = Loads of Ratings = Loads of subscriptions or advertising = Money for Tv company = Tv companies paying lots of money to show games. Are the TV companies missing something here :confused::confused::confused:
    Setanta have the rights to show games in US.You have a point actually.SPL clubs get paid a pittance from sky.We know this.But surely Celtic and :mad:ers should get more than st. mirren for example.I admit that the spl is fogging swite apart from the old firm. Who wants to watch any spl match when either of the O.F. arent playing?Not me anyway.Eventually the shoite will hit the fan and the OF will join up with the EPL clubs.It has to happen. It would make it better for the EPL clubs too. Would you rather play Wigan or Celtic FFS???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Would you rather play Wigan or Celtic FFS???

Wigan

Wigan
    JEEBUS. You serious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Wigan

Celtic would be a far bigger draw than Wigan to be fair. At least for the first two or three seasons until the novelty wore off. After two or three seasons IF they had established themselves as a reasonable Premier League outfit they would probably fall into the Everton/Villa category in terms of how big a game it would be for United/Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham all play league football.

And it's quite possible Cardiff and Swansea will play in the EPL very soon.
    But mention a Scottish team and a huge debate kicks off :confused:

Wales have their own league, I do understand the top Welsh sides made an agreement with the FA in England.
    But if Welsh teams can do it, so can the Scottish one day but I'm not even saying it'll be this decade. Could be a long way away

There wasn't an established league in Wales when Cardiff, Wrexham and Swansea entered the English leagues so there's a big difference in comparing that to the Scottish sides.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    #15 wrote: »
    Ah now, that comparison is really stretching it.

It is mate, but it's the same principal.

There's not a hope in hell that Celtic and Rangers will be allowed to join the Premier League and rightly so IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    If Celtic joined the EPL, they would win a domestic trophy or european trophy within 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Wigan

At least you'd get a ticket.That place is nearly always empty.Surprisingly common for the 'best league in the world'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

between 8th ans 12th for me, but with the more money generated and being able to attract a better calibre of player cause of that they could after a few seasons be pushing for top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    I can't believe there are 6 people who think Celtic would get into Europe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The quality at the bottom of the EPL is often over-estimated, I'd say they'd be comfortably lower mid-table..12th-13th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    ziggy wrote: »

Gloryhunting? That's slightly ironic considering Celtic usually win a trophy or two every season :pac:

I'm wholeheartedly against Celtic becoming part of the Premier League and the team I support hasn't won any major silverware since 1973, how does that make me a glory hunter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

S'after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Majstorovich - 40 caps for Sweden. A competent centre half.
    Stokes - On a great run of form. Still only 22.
    Rogne - 20 year old centre half who is doing fine at the moment. Definitely a good prospect.
    Mulgrew - Doing brilliant at centre half.
    Ledley - Gets through an awful amount of work. Talented player..

No world beaters but not Championship standard either.

I watch Maj, and Rogne through the palms of my hands. 2 big donkeys with little or no pace that have been caught out time and again this season.

Stokes still has a lot to prove at Celtic.

Mulgrew can strike a mean dead ball. Not sure I would call him a brilliant centre half as yet.

Ledley has been like a ghost all season. Explain what he brings to the team because I don't see it. Seriously.

I do like Hooper. Reminds me of John O'Flynn back in the day.

Himself and Izaguirre would fit in well in the PL. But beyond that....:confused:

EPL is the ultimate.Sure Celtic arent a patch on wigan,WBA, blackburn etc,etc.The fact that celtic beat united and liverpool in european competitions recently does not matter. Do you know why?ammmm i dont know either.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    If Celtic joined the EPL, they would win a domestic trophy or european trophy within 10 years
    EDIT-within 1 or 2 years.

Ledley has been like a ghost all season. Explain what he brings to the team because I don't see it. Seriously.

Easy to say Ledley is like a ghost.He does a lot of work off the ball that goes unnoticed and rarely wastes a pass.One of our best players in the last few months.

Easy to say Ledley is like a ghost.He does a lot of work off the ball that goes unnoticed and rarely wastes a pass.One of our best players in the last few months.
    Agree. He hasnt shone but he does his bit. whatever celtic scout picked out Hooper when he was at scunthorpe deserves a raise. That boy is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

That is not the Ledley Iv'e seen.

The guy Ive been watching hasn't imposed himself at all this season. Brown and Kayal put him to shame today. Again.

That is not the Ledley Iv'e seen.

The guy Ive been watching hasn't imposed himself at all this season. Brown and Kayal put him to shame today. Again.

You were watching a different game then.He's not the same player as Kayal or Brown and probably not as good as Kayal but they dont put him to shame.The amount of times he covers for Izzy when he goes on his runs is immense.I remember him giving the ball away once today.Also wins the ball back a lot.He's just not the type of player you notice but is effective.

• Advertisement

Agree. He hasnt shone but he does his bit. whatever celtic scout picked out Hooper when he was at scunthorpe deserves a raise. That boy is class.

Supposedly it was the assistant coach Gary Parker who recommended Hooper.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    EDIT-within 1 or 2 years.

Ah come on now. So, Manchester City spend an insane amount of money and haven't won anything since the Sheiks took over (which isn't surprising as these things take time), but yet you think Celtic could do it in 1 or 2 years?

As I said earlier, the likes of Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke City and Bolton all have 7/8 players who would walk into Celtic's current side. Also, teams like Villa and Everton do too and they won't have as poor seasons as they've had this one for quite some team and will be top 10 at least next season.

Even with the Premier League TV money it would take Celtic some time to get up to that level as the other sides are established and aren't going to stop receiving TV money or stop spending money just because Celtic or Rangers are there. The likes of Forest, Leeds etc are ''big'' clubs too with proud histories and they wouldn't expect to be challenging for domestic or European trophies with 1 to 2 years of being back in the Premier League.

It's absolutely crazy to think that Celtic could do it within 1 or 2 seasons.

Paully D wrote: »
    Ah come on now. So, Manchester City spend an insane amount of money and haven't won anything since the Sheiks took over (which isn't surprising as these things take time), but yet you think Celtic could do it in 1 or 2 years?

As I said earlier, the likes of Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke City and Bolton all have 7/8 players who would walk into Celtic's current side. Also, teams like Villa and Everton do too and they won't have as poor seasons as they've had this one for quite some team and will be top 10 at least next season.

Even with the Premier League TV money it would take Celtic some time to get up to that level as the other sides are established and aren't going to stop receiving TV money or stop spending money just because Celtic or Rangers are there. The likes of Forest, Leeds etc are ''big'' clubs too with proud histories and they wouldn't expect to be challenging for domestic or European trophies with 1 to 2 years of being back in the Premier League.

It's absolutely crazy to think that Celtic could do it within 1 or 2 seasons.
    With the right manager it could be achieved I think.Take Mourinho for example.Although he's probably the only one who could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dont let the door hit you on the way out pal

With the right manager it could be achieved I think.Take Mourinho for example.Although he's probably the only one who could.
    Or Lennon;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    In haven't read any of this but here goes.

First season, they would do well to avoid being relegated.

After that, with the extra TV money, extra sponsorship money and those massive gates they get, they would be competing with Arsenal, Man Utd et al in terms of turn over and could thus make much better signs, offer better wages etc.

Within 4/5 seasons they'd be qualifying for the champions league and competing for the league, if they were run properly and had a good manager.

IMHO anyway.

Only Utd would have a bigger match day gate, or is Arsenals new stadium bigger than 60,832 seats?
    Just googled the above and according to Wikipedia, the emirates holds 60,355.

Seaneh wrote: »
    In haven't read any of this but here goes.

First season, they would do well to avoid being relegated.

After that, with the extra TV money, extra sponsorship money and those massive gates they get, they would be competing with Arsenal, Man Utd et al in terms of turn over and could thus make much better signs, offer better wages etc.

Within 4/5 seasons they'd be qualifying for the champions league and competing for the league, if they were run properly and had a good manager.

IMHO anyway.

Only Utd would have a bigger match day gate, or is Arsenals new stadium bigger than 60,832 seats?
    Just googled the above and according to Wikipedia, the emirates holds 60,355.
    Celtic would scare united,arsenal and the kellski.the top 4 pact would be interrupted.The Epl is ****e anyway.Who wants to watch bolton v wolves for example. I cant emphasise enough how overrated that league is.Rooney shinned an overhead kick against city for example.Suddenly, the fact that he hadnt scored in 2 centuries beforehand didnt matter.He was now a better player than maradona ever was, again.Keep that EPL shoite away from me. Im happy following Celtic.A proper club with a proper support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The situations are not the same though. Mourinho and Abramovic inherited a club that already had Champions League football so were instantly able to attract a better calibre of player.

Both City and Celtic (hypothetically) are without that that platform and it makes a massive difference in terms of short term success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    initially theyd be in the relegation battle, but so would any team coming straight in from another country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If Celtic were in the Premier League they would be a giant club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think the current celtic team would struggle in the premiership, but I think given a few years they would be fighting for Europa League places, 4th CL spot. Beyond that is possible with time and patience

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Celtic would scare united,arsenal and the kellski.the top 4 pact would be interrupted.The Epl is ****e anyway.Who wants to watch bolton v wolves for example. I cant emphasise enough how overrated that league is.

Ìd rather watch Bolton - Wolves or any EPL match than have to sit through an SPL match inolving such football luminaries as Hamilton, St Johnstone, St Mirren etc. I cant fathom how anyone thinks the current Celtic team would be anything other than relegation battlers.

EPL is the ultimate.Sure Celtic arent a patch on wigan,WBA, blackburn etc,etc.The fact that celtic beat united and liverpool in european competitions recently does not matter. Do you know why?ammmm i dont know either.

Are Arsenal better than Barcelona?
    Are Orient at the same level as Arsenal?
    Are Orient now better than Barca?
    Blackpool beat Liverpool twice this season, are they a better team?
    Northampton knocked Liverpool out of the Carling Cup this year, are they a better team?
    What about Everton, are they now better than Chelsea?

One season in the Champions league and you think Spurs are the business.

Celtic have been competing in that competition for years, we've even won it. Just taking a break this season, you probably won't be in it next year.

Really? Celtic won the Champions League? When?

Melion wrote: »

aren't you a liverpool fan? Have you ever chanted a "5 Times" chant? By your post there, you will have to start singing "We won one 4 times.... then another once!, We won one 4 times, then another once".

Your 18-5 talk will also have to become - 18-0-4-1.

• Advertisement

aren't you a liverpool fan? Have you ever chanted a "5 Times" chant? By your post there, you will have to start singing "We won one 4 times.... then another once!, We won one 4 times, then another once".

Your 18-5 talk will also have to become - 18-0-4-1.

We won the European cup 4 times and the Champions League once. Wheres the problem?

We won the European cup 4 times and the Champions League once. Wheres the problem?

But th song says you won 'it' 5 times. Your post above clearly indicates you feel the CL and the EC are utterly separate competitions and so Celtic can't claim to have won 'it' as they have never won the CL, they only won th EC of years and forgotten memories ago.

But th song says you won 'it' 5 times. Your post above clearly indicates you feel the CL and the EC are utterly separate competitions and so Celtic can't claim to have won 'it' as they have never won the CL, they only won th EC of years and forgotten memories ago.

Did i make up the song? Have you ever heard me singing it? Sorry but im afraid im not going to be biting at this particular piece of bait.

Did i make up the song? Have you ever heard me singing it? Sorry but im afraid im not going to be biting at this particular piece of bait.

yeah, right. I'm sure there isn't a single post on here from you with a 5 times, or 18-5 comment.

Your comment over Celtic winning the EC/CL was churlish imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I watch Maj, and Rogne through the palms of my hands. 2 big donkeys with little or no pace that have been caught out time and again this season.

Stokes still has a lot to prove at Celtic.

Mulgrew can strike a mean dead ball. Not sure I would call him a brilliant centre half as yet.

I do like Hooper. Reminds me of John O'Flynn back in the day.

Himself and Izaguirre would fit in well in the PL. But beyond that....:confused:

Rogne does have a turn of pace, he's only 20 and has done well this season. Unfair calling him a donkey.

Mulgrew is doing well at centre half when you consider the lynching he got from the support at the start of the season. The way he has conducted himself at centre half has been brilliant the last few games.

Ledley does a lot of work that goes un noticed. He also has good technique. He's been solid not spectacular in my opinion.

To add to Izzy and Hooper..Ki, Kayal, Commons, Brown and Ledley could slot into a lot of EPL sides.

Celtic won the European cup In the heat of Lisbon, '67. You already knew that though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement