Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Hooper is a much better footballer than Carroll. Id have him in my team before Caroll any day.

jut wrong , wrong i tell ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

why? hooper is just a jermaine beckford type striker, excels against rubbish teams but put him up against even the worst of top level football defences and he would struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    Carroll's all-round game is much better and his physique is a huge asset.

Hooper is small, not super quick but is a finisher. Plenty of Hoopers around, not that many Carrolls.
    Hooper is actually very speedy. Carroll could be described as a Niall Quinn type player. Not very good in other words.Certainly not 35 million quid good.

partyndbs wrote: »
    why? hooper is just a jermaine beckford type striker, excels against rubbish teams but put him up against even the worst of top level football defences and he would struggle.
    Beckford????? what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dempsey wrote: »
    Is Beckham a bench player at Galaxy??

oh wait indeed!!:rolleyes:

Beckham is hardly a Galaxy Player at all.

During his early seasons there he was an absent nuisance. Then for two season he moved to Milan on loan. He has played 20 games less duing two loan spells at Milan, then he has in four full years in LA.

BERBA wrote: »
    jut wrong , wrong i tell ya
    Hooper outscored Carroll in the Championship,playing for a much lesser club last season.He also played less games than Super dooper Carroll I tell ya. Care to explain the reason for this? Carroll scores a couple of goals in the Mega-superhero league and now hes worth 35MILLION POUNDS STERLING. I despair.:rolleyes:

Het-Field wrote: »

During his early seasons there he was an absent nuisance. Then for two season he moved to Milan on loan. He has played 20 games less duing two loan spells at Milan, then he has in four full years in LA.
    Who cares about that yoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

5th -10th (Europa League/Upper mid Table)

Where ever Beckham is at, he playing unless he's injured though.

Ljungberg was given a contract until the end of the season and he hasnt started a league game and only started a cup match against Berwick. Thats 2 appearances out of a possible 11 so far. Calling him a marquee player shows your ignorance about Celtic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You are wrong. Simple as that. Ljungburg has been brought in as cover, and more importantly to finish his badges and pass on his wisdom to young players like Forrest and Feruz. He hasn't, and is unlikely to get near the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Hooper outscored Carroll in the Championship,playing for a much lesser club last season.He also played less games than Super dooper Carroll I tell ya. Care to explain the reason for this? Carroll scores a couple of goals in the Mega-superhero league and now hes worth 35MILLION POUNDS STERLING. I despair.:rolleyes:

while the 35 million was a ridiculous price and was more a desperate buy..there are reasons why the hoopers of this world are not getting moves to big clubs like the andy carrolls!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    gary hooper lol :D

major bill wrote: »
    while the 35 million was a ridiculous price and was more a desperate buy..there are reasons why the hoopers of this world are not getting moves to big clubs like the andy carrolls!!!
    Oh right. So Hooper moved to Glasgow Celtic.Theyre not a big club at all sure.Jesus is weeping:rolleyes:

Oh right. So Hooper moved to Glasgow Celtic.Theyre not a big club at all sure.Jesus is weeping:rolleyes:

not as big as liverpool mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Sorry to butt in so late, but just read this thread. I love it, but you might as well ask if your aunty would be your uncle, if she had ballcocks. It isn't going to happen. For the sake of argument, I think they would be relegated with the present squad.

Where ever Beckham is at, he playing unless he's injured though.

Ljungberg was given a contract until the end of the season and he hasnt started a league game and only started a cup match against Berwick. Thats 2 appearances out of a possible 11 so far. Calling him a marquee player shows your ignorance about Celtic

Dont let facts interfere with your logic. Beckham has played less then 50 games in 4 years in LA. His last major injury was sustained at Milan.

Celtic fans will have their preferred players. But that does not make them marquee players. Ljungberg is a far bigger name then any of his club-mates. The fact that he doesnt play doesnt negate his "marquee" standard.

Tell me, is there a bigger name at Glasgow Celtic ? This is regardless of his current status in management plans.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    gary hooper lol :D
    If he played in the lollipop league like Carroll hed be worth 35 MIL I suppose. :rolleyes:

not as big as liverpool mate ;)
    You might think so.I dont

you really are biased towards your club......celtic have done nothing major to claim the big club tag since their sevilla days. Liverpool are a bigger club than celtic.!!

You might think so.I dont

god even knows this :D

You are wrong. Simple as that. Ljungburg has been brought in as cover, and more importantly to finish his badges and pass on his wisdom to young players like Forrest and Feruz. He hasn't, and is unlikely to get near the first team.

I am wrong that he is a marquee player by American definition ?

He fits the bill as a marquee player. Simply because he is not a certain starter, it doesnt negate the definition.

• Advertisement

Tell me, is there a bigger name at Glasgow Celtic ? This is regardless of his current status in management plans.[/QUOTE]
    Paddy Mcourt-The Derry Pele:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

flahavaj wrote: »
    Interesting argument on the Celtic/Rangers Match Thread.

How would the current Celtic squad fare in the EPL?

I don't think they'd get relegated but I think they'd do very very well to achieve midtable mediocrity.

With their current squad they would struggle a lot
    But they could generate good income and certainly spend on players

you really are biased towards your club......celtic have done nothing major to claim the big club tag since their sevilla days. Liverpool are a bigger club than celtic.!!
    Sure they are.They play in England after all. :rolleyes:

Dont let facts interfere with your logic. Beckham has played less then 50 games in 4 years in LA. His last major injury was sustained at Milan.

Celtic fans will have their preferred players. But that does not make them marquee players. Ljungberg is a far bigger name then any of his club-mates. The fact that he doesnt play doesnt negate his "marquee" standard.

Tell me, is there a bigger name at Glasgow Celtic ? This is regardless of his current status in management plans.

Efrain Juarez has far more marketing potential than Ljungberg. Celtic are also setting up an affiliation with Santos Laguna to market the club in that region of the world.

Ki is another with more marketing potential than Ljungberg, there is a reason why Celtic paid €3m for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

But seriously, they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tell me, is there a bigger name at Glasgow Celtic ?

Spot the difference?

lgsp0039celticclubcrest.jpg

Efrain Juarez has far more marketing potential than Ljungberg. Celtic are also setting up an affiliation with Santos Laguna to market the club in that region of the world.

Ki is another with more marketing potential than Ljungberg, there is a reason, besides his footballing ability why Celtic paid €3m for him.

Juarez was a long way behind the likes of Giovanni, Hernandez, Franco, Salcido, and Barrera in terms of marketability. In fact, save for his World Cup salvo, were you honestly aware of his presence before ?

celtic - 1 european cup

Liverpool - 5 european cups, 3 uefa cups

Juarez was a long way behind the likes of Giovanni, Hernandez, Franco, Salcido, and Barrera in terms of marketability. In fact, save for his World Cup salvo, were you honestly aware of his presence before ?

No, but that doesnt change the fact that he has more marketing potential for Celtic than Ljungberg

Celtic setting up a formal partnership with Santos Laguna proves it.

No, but that doesnt change the fact that he has more marketing potential for Celtic than Ljungberg

Celtic setting up a formal partnership with Santos Laguna proves it.

Honestly, I dont understand how this link-up is in any-way probative of Juarez's purported "marquee" status.

• Advertisement

celtic - 1 european cup

Liverpool - 5 european cups, 3 uefa cups
    Doesnt make them a bigger team.Just means they have more European trophies.40,000 stadium compared to Celtics 60,000.Celtic have a much bigger worldwide following too.

But seriously, they are.
    Naw.Theyre not.

Honestly, I dont understand how this link-up is in any-way probative of Juarez's purported "marquee" status.

So its just a coincidence that the club was trying to increase its exposure in Mexico and Central America around the time they were signing a Mexican World Cup player :rolleyes:

I am wrong that he is a marquee player by American definition ?

Yes.

He fits the bill as a marquee player. Simply because he is not a certain starter, it doesnt negate the definition.

Yes it does.

Just because he is one of the Celtic players YOU have heard of does not mean he is the biggest star, wheeled out for press conferences, the marketing stuff etc.

Doesnt make them a bigger team.Just means they have more European trophies.40,000 stadium compared to Celtics 60,000.Celtic have a much bigger worldwide following too.

lol :D bigger stadium yes.
    more supported no.
    dalglish left celtic to join a big club ;)

lol :D bigger stadium yes.
    more supported no.
    dalglish left celtic to join a big club ;)
    Yes we have more supporters worldwide.Dalglish was a Rangers supporter growing up so I wouldnt read too much into that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

That has to be the most deluded thing ive ever read in the history of internet forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    partyndbs wrote: »
    yeah could just imagine barca struggling for points down at the foot of the table

Over a 38 game, plus cup, season barca wouldnt qualify for europe in england. Not coz theyre not good enough, but because the change in approach, pacing and brand new opposition. After a couple of years theyd have adjusted. Anyone who would presume to argue with that is codding themselves if they think theyve a clue imo

Yes we have more supporters worldwide.Dalglish was a Rangers supporter growing up so I wouldnt read too much into that one.

WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    Over a 38 game, plus cup, season barca wouldnt qualify for europe in england. Not coz theyre not good enough, but because the change in approach, pacing and brand new opposition. After a couple of years theyd have adjusted. Anyone who would presume to argue with that is codding themselves if they think theyve a clue imo

My god. I have read it all now.

I'm sticking to the LoI threads. There are far two many consumers of random english club x on here who seriously need to get off their barstools and look at the world of football out tehre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pauleta wrote: »
    That has to be the most deluded thing ive ever read in the history of internet forums.

You are a minute too early with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

The above is testament to Andy Gray's Sky Sports legacy.

Barcelona would be challenging for everything and would finish 2nd at worst in the Premier League.

One for the archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I think you've outdone yourself here Helix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Thankfully, I had finished my tea by the time I read this.

• Advertisement

helix has just taken the heat of parkhead67 with that post

Yes. .

Wow. I see you have decided to stop playing the sophist, and simply resorting to taking debating tips from your 5 year old brother. Do you want to back that bald statement up. You probably cant

Yes it does.

Just because he is one of the Celtic players YOU have heard of does not mean he is the biggest star, wheeled out for press conferences, the marketing stuff etc.

So Celtic bought him just for press conferences and marketing ? If that is the case then it would appear that he is a marquee player (It is well noted that Pele and Beckenbauer were only brought to the US to heighten an interest in the game. Their ability on the pitch mattered little as they were at the end of their careers. Teams in the US simply bought them for their selling power). The same would apply to Beckham.

If you want to tell yourself that the likes of Scotty Brown, Kris Commons, and Anthony Stokes are the "Marquee" players, then I suggest you consider whether you have any knowledge about the game at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can we close the thread now? Its reached a fúcking ridiculous level now. Ive seen some funny shít on this forum but that comment right there tops the whole lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

18th - 20th ( Relagated)

As Andy Gray said (ill say it again) "How would they fare at the Brittania on a cold Monday night"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Think Helix is being a bit OTT saying it would take a few years or wouldn't qualify for Europe but he's not far wrong. They still be excellent at home but when you look at their away record in europe I don't think they win the league or even challenge for it in their first season. In their last 10 awa matches in the CL they've W2 Drawn 6 L 2. Wins againt Kiev and Panathinikos, draws against Rubin(x2) Copenhagen, Arsenal, Stuggart, Inter and lost to Arsenal and Inter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement