Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where would Celtic finish in the EPL?

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Back on topic, the majority (nearly 40%) of people reckon they would be 10th to 14th in their first season, which sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Think Helix is being a bit OTT saying it would take a few years or wouldn't qualify for Europe but he's not far wrong. They still be excellent at home but when you look at their away record in europe I don't think they win the league or even challenge for it in their first season. In their last 10 awa matches in the CL they've W2 Drawn 6 L 2. Wins againt Kiev and Panathinikos, draws against Rubin(x2) Copenhagen, Arsenal, Stuggart, Inter and lost to Arsenal and Inter.

yes they are hard away matches for barcelona, in contrast wolves bolton stoke etc. wouldn't be hard as those matches you mentioned hence barca would prob win the league

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Think Helix is being a bit OTT saying it would take a few years or wouldn't qualify for Europe but he's not far wrong. They still be excellent at home but when you look at their away record in europe I don't think they win the league or even challenge for it in their first season. In their last 10 awa matches in the CL they've W2 Drawn 6 L 2. Wins againt Kiev and Panathinikos, draws against Rubin(x2) Copenhagen, Arsenal, Stuggart, Inter and lost to Arsenal and Inter.

Irrelevant to League form. European comps are all about progressing and doing enough especially in the Group stages. The main thing is topping the Group, which they have done the past few seasons. They dont need to win all their away matches and in the KO stages are happy with draws as they know they can finish teams off at home. Have a look at Barca's away record in the League, its better than their home record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Le King wrote: »
    My father was a United fan born in Manchester. Simple really. Plus I was always interested in the art of barstooling. I never had a local team to support in Ireland either. Sporting Fingal was my local club for the past year. Never bothered with them as I used to follow Kildare County until they were sent into abyss, I'm completely angry with the whole set up of the league. Maybe sometime I can find a club who last more than a handful of years.

The thread you're looking for is over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

10-14th (Mid Table safety)
    On Barca I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't win the league but I'd be very surprised if they were to finish outside of the top 2/3 places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Sorry gentlemen, I don't quite see what ye're talking about. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

14th - 17th( Relegation Survivors)
    Reading back this thread again and for some reason Gary Hooper is getting it in the neck?

I honestly cannot understand why!

Celtic took a gamble on him but before he signed for the hoops he had an excellent scoring record in the Championship for a team battling relegation.

I've seen him play all this season and have been very impressed with him. He has a turn of pace ( look at his goals yesterday ) He can finish very well and has a excellent first touch. Yet if you look at some of the posts on this forum Andy Carroll is seen as a good player, Hooper stands up to him in my opinion. Delighted to see him leading the line for Celtic. If we qualify proper for the CL next season I think he will do well.

Honestly though at the minute I just can't get enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Warper wrote: »
    Irrelevant to League form. European comps are all about progressing and doing enough especially in the Group stages. The main thing is topping the Group, which they have done the past few seasons. They dont need to win all their away matches and in the KO stages are happy with draws as they know they can finish teams off at home. Have a look at Barca's away record in the League, its better than their home record.

It doesn't matter what there away record in Spain is, one of the points was they would struggle to adjust to new teams away fro home, which seems to be correlate with their away record in the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    Honestly though at the minute I just can't get enough ;)

Cracking song that. There's a number of clubs taking it now. I think Liverpool have used it for Suarez, I know that Sunderland are also trying to get it going.

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Reading back this thread again and for some reason Gary Hooper is getting it in the neck?

I honestly cannot understand why!

Celtic took a gamble on him but before he signed for the hoops he had an excellent scoring record in the Championship for a team battling relegation.

I've seen him play all this season and have been very impressed with him. He has a turn of pace ( look at his goals yesterday ) He can finish very well and has a excellent first touch. Yet if you look at some of the posts on this forum Andy Carroll is seen as a good player, Hooper stands up to him in my opinion. Delighted to see him leading the line for Celtic. If we qualify proper for the CL next season I think he will do well.

Against Davey Weir?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Paully D wrote: »
    Cracking song that. There's a number of clubs taking it now. I think Liverpool have used it for Suarez, I know that Sunderland are also trying to get it going.

Didn't Liverpool steal You will never walk alone from Celtic too?

It's genius mate. At least we know who started it!

Look at the crowd yesterday, would get anyone going :D

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    It doesn't matter what there away record in Spain is, one of the points was they would struggle to adjust to new teams away fro home, which seems to be correlate with their away record in the champions league.

Youre missing my point though about European comps being totally different to domestic leagues. They are all about progressing and topping your Group which they invariably do. In Barca's KO games they are invariably at home the second leg so a draw is an excellent result away from home, particularly a score draw.

karma_ wrote: »
    Didn't Liverpool steal You will never walk alone from Celtic too?

From United actually

Melion wrote: »
    Against Davey Weir?

Yeah he done Weir out of the first goal but it was an excellent piece of skill.

The second goal he ran 60 meters to outpace Bartley, a Arsenal lad.

Hail hail to Hooper man, he's a quality striker and still only 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    The above is testament to Andy Gray's Sky Sports legacy.

Barcelona would be challenging for everything and would finish 2nd at worst in the Premier League.

I live in canada, i dont have sky. Gray had no effect on me. Barca are the best team in the world playing in the best league the world. Dont presume to think im saying the epl is better than la liga. Its not. Its a poor league, but the adjustment switching leagues would mean barca, bayern, lyon, united or anyone else would initially struggle in a new country. My point wasnt barca specific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

they would finish 8th.
    don't ask me how.

why though? theres nothin complicated about football its not like switching from rugby league to union or playing in the north or southern hemisphere.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    partyndbs wrote: »
    why though? theres nothin complicated about football its not like switching from rugby league to union or playing in the north or southern hemisphere.

Weather, pace, culture, media, stlye

Same reasons it takes foreign players time to adjust

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    My god. I have read it all now.

I'm sticking to the LoI threads. There are far two many consumers of random english club x on here who seriously need to get off their barstools and look at the world of football out tehre.

Or you could learn to read and comprehend what people are actually saying instead of jumping to ridiculous conclusions

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Helix wrote: »
    Or you could learn to read and comprehend what people are actually saying instead of jumping to ridiculous conclusions

Thinking that Barca wouldnt even qualify for Europe in the EPL is a ridiculous conclusion, be it in their first season or not.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Thinking that Barca wouldnt even qualify for Europe in the EPL is a ridiculous conclusion, be it in their first season or not.

You think theyd have no bother facing a load of teams theyd never played or heard of before at a pace theyre not used to in a climate quite different to theirs without needing adjustment time? No chance. No team could challenge after such a change for at least a year

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    You think theyd have no bother facing a load of teams theyd never played or heard of before at a pace theyre not used to in a climate quite different to theirs without needing adjustment time? No chance. No team could challenge after such a change for at least a year

Ya right, you could turn that around too ya know. How would teams get to grips with Barca. They wouldnt be used to playing a team with the best technical ability in the world. Barca had 66% possession against the most technical team in the EPL in Arsenal at the Emirates just last week. Imagine what they would do playing your average side in the EPL. They would be running around like headless chickens trying to get the ball off them, it would be a massacre. Before you say Barca lost, yes they did but this is a European tie and they took their eye off the ball as it was so easy for them in the first half. What would it be like if Blackpool or Wolves played Barca, it would be a cricket score.

lol at the thought of barcelona against blackpool :P It prob be 15-4 2 barca

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Question is who could handle Stoke away on a Monday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The whole barcelona thing where they would find it hard to settle is aload of bull**** imo....They are professional players the best at their trade and can be just as physical as stoke on their day.The weather problem is again bull**** if anyone has ever been to barcelona in the winter would know it aint exactly the nicest weather in europe.

id be very surprised if barcelona didnt finish top 4 in their first season in the EPL!!!

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    major bill wrote: »
    The whole barcelona thing where they would find it hard to settle is aload of bull**** imo....They are professional players the best at their trade and can be just as physical as stoke on their day.The weather problem is again bull**** if anyone has ever been to barcelona in the winter would know it aint exactly the nicest weather in europe.

Then tell us all why top players fail in some leagues and excel in others?

Then tell us all why top players fail in some leagues and excel in others?

personalitys, attitude, gelling with other players etc...we aint taking xavi or messi here and putting them in boltons team or blackburns we are talking about a whole unit moving to another league that are used to playing with one another and can adapt to differant environments!!.

how is it that barcelona can compete against english clubs in europe and come out the better in most battles but when it comes to a 38 game league campaign you think they would struggle....its not like they are fluking the wins they have usually been the better side in those games.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    personalitys, attitude, gelling with other players etc...we aint taking xavi or messi here and putting them in boltons team or blackburns we are talking about a whole unit moving to another league that are used to playing with one another and can adapt to differant environments!!.

how is it that barcelona can compete against english clubs in europe and come out the better in most battles but when it comes to a 38 game league campaign you think they would struggle....its not like they are fluking the wins they have usually been the better side in those games.

The tactics and pace of play employed by english clubs in europe are very different to having stoke kick you up and down the pitch while playing route one and not giving you a second on the ball.

Are you honestly saying you dont see that as a factor in adjustment time? Lets pretend the topic at hand was united playing in germany, the same would apply imo. Minimum 1 season bedding in time before getting back to normal.

Too many people here completely unable to appreciate the full scale of the proposal being discussed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Ya right, you could turn that around too ya know. How would teams get to grips with Barca. They wouldnt be used to playing a team with the best technical ability in the world. Barca had 66% possession against the most technical team in the EPL in Arsenal at the Emirates just last week. Imagine what they would do playing your average side in the EPL. They would be running around like headless chickens trying to get the ball off them, it would be a massacre. Before you say Barca lost, yes they did but this is a European tie and they took their eye off the ball as it was so easy for them in the first half. What would it be like if Blackpool or Wolves played Barca, it would be a cricket score.

Meh, Arsenal had more shots and shots on target.

The tactics and pace of play employed by english clubs in europe are very different to having stoke kick you up and down the pitch while playing route one and not giving you a second on the ball.

Are you honestly saying you dont see that as a factor in adjustment time? Lets pretend the topic at hand was united playing in germany, the same would apply imo. Minimum 1 season bedding in time before getting back to normal.

Too many people here completely unable to appreciate the full scale of the proposal being discussed

when people go on about barcelona or messi moving to the premiership stoke city and their boot boys are always mentioned.....for every stoke in england you have a bilbao in spain messi gets kicked up and down spain nearly every week.....barcelona aint just any normal team. i think barcelona would find it easier to adapt to the english game than united would to the spanish game.

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    when people go on about barcelona or messi moving to the premiership stoke city and their boot boys are always mentioned.....for every stoke in england you have a bilbao in spain messi gets kicked up and down spain nearly every week.....barcelona aint just any normal team. i think barcelona would find it easier to adapt to the english game than united would to the spanish game.

I was using stoke as an example. Look how long its taken arsenal to figure out not getting done by kickers. For years people knew how to play against them. Full throttle physical long ball footie.
    Its not just the physicality, its the unknowns. Barca know bilbao. Familiarity means being better prepared, drop them in with 13/19 teams theyre not used to and theyll need time to figure it out.

Look how regularly smaller teams beat top ones in england, and these teams are familiar with each other yet still get done at times

I was using stoke as an example. Look how long its taken arsenal to figure out not getting done by kickers. For years people knew how to play against them. Full throttle physical long ball footie.
    Its not just the physicality, its the unknowns. Barca know bilbao. Familiarity means being better prepared, drop them in with 13/19 teams theyre not used to and theyll need time to figure it out.

Look how regularly smaller teams beat top ones in england, and these teams are familiar with each other yet still get done at times

fairpoint id love to see it so we can lock this debate but its irrelevent as it will never happen whereas celtic moving to the epl is a real possibility!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

This, id be surprised if they werent in the 2 or 3 even in there first season. Even if they dont no who wolves are, or the majority of the teams in the bottom half, its not like those teams would have any chance vs them

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    nuxxx wrote: »
    This, id be surprised if they werent in the 2 or 3 even in there first season. Even if they dont no who wolves are, or the majority of the teams in the bottom half, its not like those teams would have any chance vs them

Like they have no chance when they play utd, city, chelsea or arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Like they have no chance when they play utd, city, chelsea or arsenal?

Upsets happen every season, been that way since the dawn of time. Majority of games are won by the top clubs, this season has seen more upsets etc than most, but if you look over last decade or so its been pretty consistent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The above is testament to Andy Gray's Sky Sports legacy.

Barcelona would be challenging for everything and would finish 2nd at worst in the Premier League.

barcelona would finish 1st at worst in the premier league, over a 38 game season they'd be streets ahead of a rather poor quality premier league this season, they are head and shoulders over any team in the premier league, indeed if you picked a squad of 25 players from all the premier league clubs and formed a team, i'd say barcelona would still finish ahead of them but at least they'd get some kind of challenge, as things stand now in an incredibly mediocre year for quality of teams in the premier league I would be stunned if barcelona didn't win the league by 10 points plus

as for celtic, the first few years they'd be lower mid-table, after a few seasons of the increased revenues from the tv money they'd be challenging for a place in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

fairpoint id love to see it so we can lock this debate but its irrelevent as it will never happen whereas celtic moving to the epl is a real possibility!!.

No it isn't!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Will you all stop talking about Barca. This thread has nothing to do with Barca. Using them as a comparison is fine, but it's just turned into a Barcelona debate now.

• Advertisement

18th - 20th ( Relagated)
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Will you all stop talking about Barca. This thread has nothing to do with Barca. Using them as a comparison is fine, but it's just turned into a Barcelona debate now.

i said quite a few times that barca were just another example. celtic seems to be a loaded word here, if you say they'll fight against relegation its because you hate them, i used a different team to argue the nuts and bolts of the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

i said quite a few times that barca were just another example. celtic seems to be a loaded word here, if you say they'll fight against relegation its because you hate them, i used a different team to argue the nuts and bolts of the point

Saying that Barca wouldn't achieve a European place in England will get you ridiculed because its clearly daft.

Saying that Celtic would get relegated from the EPL will also get you ridiculed because its also daft.

Both of those sets of daftness comes from a very anglocentric view of football that has also taken hold in Ireland.

Its nothing to do with loaded words. Its due to you clearly not having a clue about football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement