Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

06 Mondeo Flashing Glow Plug

• 20-02-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi there, I have half bought a 06 2.0 Tdci(130) Ford Mondeo, 60,000 miles, spotless car, i have it for the weekend as kind of extended test drive before i make up my mind on Monday. While driving it from the garage yesterday there was a sudden loss of power and the glow plug light started flashing, i turned off the car and when i restarted it was fine again, it happened again this mornig but worked fine after, the car is gret nick besides this as its in from england but im worried with it having problems from day one, anyone know what the problem may be? The garage is gonna take care of it tomorrow but im worreid there may be more to come.. Any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Was it the engine management light or the glow plug light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd either let the garage fix it and then insist on another extended test-drive, or I'd walk away.

Have you had your own mechanic (or the AA or whoever) check the car over? I'd think that'd be very important in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

It's more than likely the EGR valve as they can often clog up on this engine. Let the dealer fix it and take it for another long test drive as advised above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Celtxx wrote: »
    It's more than likely the EGR valve as they can often clog up on this engine. Let the dealer fix it and take it for another long test drive as advised above.

Or another very common problem is the injectors and high pressure pump. I would advise getting these checked as I know the injector can be recoded and this brings back normality for a while but someday it will come back on and you will be left with a nice bill payable to Mr Henry Ford.

a leakback test and diesel filter inspection is the only real way of testing this, A maindealer wont charge a massive amount to carry these tests out as the leakback test takes only a few mins but the filter inspection requires them to cut open the filter and check for metal shards inside it ( A sign that the high pressure pump is starting to break up ) so the filter will have to be replaced.

Its suprising the amount of people who get caught out this way, Friend of mine brought in an Mondeo ST Tdci from the Uk in immaculate condition and full service history etc etc and it failed coming off the ferry in Rosslare. It was only when he rang back to the garages who serviced the car did he find out that one of the invoices was missing from the folder of invoices he got and suprise suprise it was the one from a week beofre the sale that the original owner had brought it to the garage to have a fault light diagnosed and on the invoice " Carried out injector leakback test 3 injectors failed and 1 borderline, Recommend replace 4 injectors, High pressure pump and diesel filter. Estimated cost 1500 sterling "

I myself have had a few mondeos and never had injector problems but I know what to look for and I usuall when buying one will carry out a leakback test myself as I have the kit and know how to use it :) It has rufled a few sellers but what harm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

happened to me last month - replaced oil filter and no problems since

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056125923

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

taintabird wrote: »
    Was it the engine management light or the glow plug light?

sorry, im not to up on my mechanics, its the orange double coil light, if that answers he Q

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Just for reference, this is the car
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0-TDCI/201026198581300/advert?channel=CARS

I brought it back today and was told it could be something small, sensors or something.and just anther enquiry, this car is my first exp. with cruise control, nothing happens when i press the 'on' button, i tried while standing still and while moving, could this be related to the other problem or could this be a simple problem wih a fuse.
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Cruise control generally only comes on when the car is above a certain speed.

Seems very pricey,( I've an 04 tdci estate 99k,cruise control & aircon etc going on adverts tomorrow for 4500 ) you'd no doubt get a titanium x for that kinda money.
    Cruise control works by pressing on and then set or + on th rhs. As far as I remember it works after 30mph. It is cancelled by either touching accelerator or brake or off.. Trust me on the glow plug light it's not a oil filter, definitely get it checked independently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

I would say EGR valve or the injectors are going to go. Valve is cheaper to replace but your still talking about €250 for the part, Ford seem to have a bit of a monopoly on these parts for the TDCI engine. Fitting it is easy though, its just under the engine cover.

darragh - the leak back test that you mention could any competant mechanic carry out that test? How does it show the condition of the injectors?

• Advertisement

burger1979 wrote: »
    darragh - the leak back test that you mention could any competant mechanic carry out that test? How does it show the condition of the injectors?

Without going into too much detail a injector leakback tester connects to the leakback pipes on the injector. These pipes reutrn unused or excessive fuel back to the tank or to the filter for re-use. A leakback tester is basically a long plastic pipe with a graduated jar on one end and a specific attachment to fit the injector on the other. The kit is fitted and the engine is started for a set period pf time. After the period of time is up the engine is switched off and the amount of diesel in each jar including the pipes is measures. This is then referenced back to manufacturers specification, A bad injector will dump more diesel back than a good one and it will become very apparant if there is one or two bad ones and two good ones. It does get tricky though when the 4 injectors are equally as bad, so then manufacturers spec is needed for reference. The kit itself is relitively cheap (draper do one for about 100 euro ) and if your anyway competant you will have no problem using it.

Hopefully an EGR valve will do it but Id always be wary and I hate seeing people getting caught out.

Advertisement