Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC news van in town today

• 20-02-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

It was parked up outside Londis on the quay. Proper news van with "BBC News" logos on it and satellite equipment on the roof. It was on GB (not NI) number plates.

Anyone know why it might be here? Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

It was parked up outside Londis on the quay. Proper news van with "BBC News" logos on it and satellite equipment on the roof. It was on GB (not NI) number plates.

Anyone know why it might be here? Just curious.

Maybe its that small thing called a General Election? You may have noticed the posters.tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Saw that van this evening as well. Thought it might be something to do with the GE but didn't think BBC would be bothered to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course they'll cover the election in the news, just not live on BBC1 (SKY News and BBC News will when things get interesting on Saturday evening), quite why they'd come down here is another matter, still lets be happy they know about us, cos RTE hardly do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Saw that van this evening as well. Thought it might be something to do with the GE but didn't think BBC would be bothered to be honest.

Exactly. Wouldn't have crossed my mind that the BBC would be interested in Waterfordian voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

mike65 wrote: »
    Of course they'll cover the election in the news, just not live on BBC1 (SKY News and BBC News will when things get interesting on Saturday evening), quite why they'd come down here is another matter, still lets be happy they know about us, cos RTE hardly do!

Maybe they heard you giving out about Wogan the other week and decided to make it up to you.biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought it was to cover the fishing boat incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Sack Me?! Sack Me?! I made the BBC!

*cough*

Could have take a spin down this way for tall ships coverage to be used later on in the year, or they could possibly have gotten the ferry over and saw waterford as handier to go to as opposed to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I hope its not to get shots of the Ard Rí. Nothing shows Ireland's decline like comparing the Ard Rí in 2005 and now.

Anyway, they might want a regional angle. We are the nearest city to Rosslare, so Waterford would be handy for them. Also the decline of W Crystal would get the attention of BBC watchers and how we are recovering. Our stubborn determination to recover bla bla blaa. Or maybe they are here for blaas?

Be sure to post anything you see on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 spokes

Might have something to do with tomorrow nights Panorama program. Read today Brian Lenihan is on it for some reason.

dayshah, you know I bet they filmed the Ard Ri for the reason you state.

"Waterford, a city in decline - victim of the Celtic Tiger collapse - here is a wrecked big building to crudely illustrate that fact".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

spokes wrote: »
    Might have something to do with tomorrow nights Panorama program. Read today Brian Lenihan is on it for some reason.

"Panorama - How to Blow a Fortune
    Will the death of Ireland's boom-time economy spell big trouble for the UK? Fergal Keane returns home to find out why Ireland went from being one of the richest countries in the world to the brink of bankruptcy. Bailing out Ireland has put Britain on the hook for billions, but will it be enough to save one of our most important business partners?"

Yer man presenting the program has a holiday home in Co.Waterford

Ah fcuking hell, its Mr Sunshine and Lollipops himself - Mr Fergal Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

BBC News this morning - anchor broadcasting from the quay in Waterford --- but all the doc was on avoca and ghost estates and downturn in tourism - not a word about waterford ---
    part 2 on wed morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Love it! You could get home and say to who-ever was listening, 'I just saw a BBC van in Waterford' and there would be vague speculation on why it was there. Come on Boards and the whole programme is sorted in half a dozen posts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

BBC Ulster covering the General Election. They are in Waterford for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

BBC News 24 (UPC channel number 201) have been reporting live from Waterford for a couple of minutes every half-hour or so. Bertie Rogers, Chairman of Waterford City Enterprise Board, was being interviewed on the quay about 12:45. He was talking about emigration, the Irish economy and the likely outcome of the general election. The flour mills was clearly visible in the background but thankfully they didn't show the Ard Rí.

At least the sun is shining on the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭PatrickD32

Yeah, i overtook it this morning at 9am on the new road, coming out of Waterford heading for carlow/dublin.

Advertisement