Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris (FG) won't claim expenses...Oh yes he will!

Options
  • 20-02-2011 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Young Simon seemed like a breath of fresh air when he was canvassing for WCC elections last June on a platform of "change, reform and accountability" and, a vow NOT to claim ANY expenses. I gave him a high preference on this promise alone.

Now I hear him interviewed on East Coast and when put to him that he has indeed claimed expenses, he admitted he claimed full expenses but said "only legitimate ones" !!! :rolleyes:

I'll leave further comment to you but my vote is lost. I've crossed FG and FF off and will give preferences to all others this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I love the new type of posters that have sprung up since the election campaign got under way.

OP claiming expenses for a 5 star hotel in Florida is bad, just ask John O'Idontknowboutthat

Claiming for genuine expenses such as staying in a b&b due to work requirements like they do in the private sector is ok.

So the question is what did he claim for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If they are legitimate expenses what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

I don’t know if it’s literacy issue but I’ll capitalise the relevant sections for the hard of reading:

Simon Harris got my vote in the WCC election because he said HE WOULD NOT CLAIM ANY EXPENSES. Contrary to this promise...HE DID CLAIM FULL EXPENSE ALLOWANCES!

Now obviously his supporters will jump on board and say “so what?... it’s not as bad as X, Y and Z etc., etc.” but my standards are not that low, I actually expect that when somebody makes a simple promise that they stick to it...at least for a year or so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

No point in getting on the OP's case because his point is a simple one. Harris broke a basic promise. The OP isn't saying he isn't allowed claim legitimate expenses he's just saying that Harris couldn't stick to a very basic promise he made.

For the record I went to college with him and he's an absolutle f**king nitwit so he's probably a shoe in. He always reminded me of Tim Nice But Dim from Harry Enfield. Honestly how an idiot like him can get to any level of authority here just shows how f**ked the country is. You'd be better off voting for one of the PG Tips Chimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Honestly! wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s literacy issue but I’ll capitalise the relevant sections for the hard of reading:

Don't personalise the debate like that, or you'll be banned.

Now, back up the assertion you've made here. Sources please.

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Simon simply didn't keep the vast majority of his pledge
    FG Candidate signs a pledge not to accept "mileage" money if elected to Wicklow County Council and to overhaul the expenses system at local authority level Harris calls for the "gravy train" to be decommissioned

Fine Gael Local Election Candidate, Simon Harris has signed a pledge limiting the expenses he would receive if elected to Wicklow County Council in the upcoming Local Elections. Speaking about his decision and his public pledge, Mr Harris stated, "If I am elected to Wicklow County Council I will not accept any Council money for mileage incurred in travelling to meetings of the Council. Most people do not get paid to drive to work and to me it would be illogical to receive and accept such a payment. In the current economic climate, how could I, as a new politician, honestly claim to relate to the difficulties and challenges being experienced by families and by businesses if I was to apply for the honour of representing the people and then board the generous 'gravy-train' of expenses at local government." "When I announced my intention to enter politics and to contest these elections, I highlighted that it was a priority of mine to make politics more relevant, accessible and interesting to people and communities. It is easy to talk the talk but the time has come for me to put my money where my mouth is and make some very clear and very public pledges to my electorate in Greystones, Kilcoole, Delgany, Newtown and Newcastle," said Mr Harris. "Many Councillors do excellent work and their efforts are diligent and effective for our locality. I do not criticise any sitting Councillors for the expenses they receive and I do acknowledge the decision taken by Wicklow County Council to scale back expenses in the current budgetary situation it finds itself in. But nonetheless, I believe these local elections offer us a real chance to change the way we do business at local government level - it is an opportunity to say enough is enough, decommission the run-away gravy-train and let's make politics more transparent and our politicians more accountable," continued Mr Harris. "It is with that in mind that I have made a conscious decision to sign a pledge to my electorate which states that if elected to Wicklow County Council in the forthcoming Local Elections:
    I will not accept any payment from Wicklow County Council for mileage incurred whilst travelling to any meetings of the Council. Why should people be paid to drive to work? If elected, it will be an honour to serve the community and paying Councillors to drive to Council Meetings is insulting particularly at a time when people are losing their jobs, unemployment is rising and the average person would be quite happy to drive to work and pay for their own fuel in order to obtain or retain a job.

I will only go abroad on foreign trips if I deem them to be absolutely in the interest of both my constituents and our county. Should I go on any such trips, I will fully inform my constituents via letter of the benefits of the trip, the costs incurred, what was learned and how it can be put to use for our county.

In January of each year, I will publish a full breakdown of any and all remuneration I have received from Wicklow County Council – this will be itemised and again made available to all my constituents.

I will move a motion at the earliest possible opportunity in Wicklow County Council seeking reform of expenses paid to public representatives, to ensure that all such expenses are vouched and essential.
    It is vital the people can have faith and confidence in the political process and in government at all levels – local and national. By undertaking these four small pledges, I hope to herald a new type of politics – It is an honour to serve one's community – this honour must never be forgotten," stated Mr Harris.
    "To prove this is not a gimmick I am sending a signed copy of this pledge to the Wicklow Times - they will then have a copy of this and will be able to monitor the matter if I am elected. In the current climate, in a show of solidarity with hard-working people find it difficult to make businesses sustainable or maintain jobs and in the interest of increasing transparency, openness and accountability in politics I feel this is both the responsible and appropriate step to take," concluded Mr Harris.

FG Candidate remains the only County Wicklow Local Election Candidate to have signed a pledge to reduce and reform Council expenses and seek a more transparent system Fine Gael County Council Candidate in the Greystones Electoral Area has expressed his bemusement with attempts by politicians to curtail pre-election costs incurred personally by each candidate whilst ignoring the sheer waste of public money in unvouched gravy-train expenses after the election. Mr Harris remains the only candidate for Wicklow County Council to have signed a pledge in relation to expenses. He has stated that if elected he will:
    Not except "mileage money" for driving to and from Council meetings
    Move a motion that the Council adopts a system of vouched expenses
    Publish an annual breakdown of exactly every cent he receives from the Council and for what purpose.
    "The gravy-train of expenses at Council level and indeed national level needs to be halted. It could never be justified but now in these economic times if must end. I am happy to have signed a commitment to seek a more transparent system of expenses where people are not left out of pocket for expenses occurred but equally that all expenses are vouched, transparent and logical," stated Mr Harris.

"I very much welcome the limit on Local Election spending - I agree with it fully and I also support efforts to limit posters to certain areas. However, I must say I remain perplexed that politicians continue to focus on these issues - on how much money a candidate spends on an election when this has already been limited by legislation - rather than trying to ensure that public money is not wasted on unjustifiable 'expenses'," continued Mr Harris. "People I meet across my electoral area and in my community are fed-up with the waste of public money - they see politicians at a national level refusing to give up long-term increment payments even in these tough financial times and at a local level they see a cash-strapped Council unable to address simple, local issues yet the system of expenses remains unreformed," said Mr Harris. "I want the public to have faith and confidence in our politicians - this is necessary if we are to get out of this economic crisis, deliver for people and protect vital services - that is why I am determined to reform expenses at all levels of politics and for my part I will start with the Council if elected on the 5th June," concluded Mr Harris.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Simon Harris got my vote in the WCC election because he said HE WOULD NOT CLAIM ANY EXPENSES. Contrary to this promise...HE DID CLAIM FULL EXPENSE ALLOWANCES!

Now obviously his supporters will jump on board and say “so what?... it’s not as bad as X, Y and Z etc., etc.” but my standards are not that low, I actually expect that when somebody makes a simple promise that they stick to it...at least for a year or so!!

Don't worry Micheal (don't know how to do fada's) ...

Your OK here - we will be nice to you (for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭sonic85

ill probably be lynched for this but in all honesty TDs who are earning on average E112,000 and getting nice fat pensions shouldnt be getting expenses of any description

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So he promised not to claim travel expenses when going to Councillor meetings, does anyone have a breakdown of the expenses he claimed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Simon simply didn't keep the vast majority of his pledge

Actual pledge seems quite different to how original poster interpreted it.
    Johnnymcg - When you say he didn't keep his pledge - which parts? Curious about this guy since seeing him on TV the other night for the first time.
    Nobody in this thread has shown that he has reneged on his pledge yet however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This general election has been depressing, instead of concentrating on your own political views and goals that are supposed to be of benefit to our nation , every major political party are no better than the Chieftains of old times past.

Spiteful and pathetic bickering that's fuelled by a selfish desire to promote their own agenda.

Here's an idea for all major political parties, instead of trying to slam each others manifestos, why don't you try and explain the logic behind your manifestos instead of taking snide shots at your opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Wexford1798

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Actual pledge seems quite different to how original poster interpreted it.
    Johnnymcg - When you say he didn't keep his pledge - which parts? Curious about this guy since seeing him on TV the other night for the first time.
    Nobody in this thread has shown that he has reneged on his pledge yet however.

I have to agree. The moderator asked for links or back up to the claims made and none were forthcoming. It must be the Labour party again. Have they not learned from the last opinion poll that negative campaigning does not work? :) I'd prefer to hear your policies.

I admire the Harris chap. He has a great "get up and go" attitude and by all accounts, he is one of the hardest working councilors in Wicklow. What is wrong with claiming expenses? Do you expect him to work for free? It is ‘dishonest expenses claims’ that have ruined the reputation of county councilors. Going to pointless conferences in Doengal and Kerry just to get the mileage and the like. I really doubt Harris is involved in that lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Auctionmcd

I dont think this will effect his vote to be honest. He seems destined to top the poll or at very least take the second seat. Its incredible that candidates lie so much and even when they are proven to lie people still vote for them. I will probably vote FG this time but not out of choice. I think they will get the overall majority and prefer to make my vote count. Have eliminated Timmins because of a scandal back in 1997 regarding rezoning and now am eliminating Harris, that just leaves Andrew Doyle? (must check out his background)

Advertisement