Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

Piss up and brewery come to mind!

Best of luck to the organisers, I hope it goes well but I do think they've shot themselves in the foot by not controlling the hype going around about this. Unless the lineup is very strong,people are going to say 'All this buildup and we're getting THESE guys?'.

I agree with the poster who said it seems like an eternity ago that this was announced.Why not hold off and have all the loose ends sorted before you announce the acts and sell tickets? Is this not what they do with the Live at the Marquee gigs? The Facebook update as of today makes the whole thing look a bit amateur. As I said, I appreciate that it'll be great for Waterford if the gig goes ahead and also that it may be the organisers first time but I think most people would agree that it's just a bit on the unprofessional side.

**Even the website is a bit of a joke,just looking at it there. Without naming the acts, they could still give us an idea of whats to come, info on the venue, ticket prices, promos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Smelled of an April Fools to me too. I hope it is. Cant see another delay going over well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Feck it, I give up. Even if it is an April Fool's joke.

Best way this can be described is all promises, only 20% of which could be supported or backed up. I still want this to work well but it's becoming a bad joke now. This should have waited until nearly everything was confirmed and approved before anything was announced or launched. Over confidence has just gotten anyone who was looking forward to it annoyed at the constant guaranees and promises of info, and then either a delay or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I've just heard the line up and the reason for the delay. Unfortunately they're stuck between a rock and a hard place now. When you're dealing with so many acts (more than 3) there's a lot of red tape. They've brought in 2 other acts, which I think will be a bigger draw than 50 cent to many people in this town...and it doesn't make sense to announce without everything signed off.

• Advertisement

So is there suppose to be 4 Acts now on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Aaaaand it is GONE from Ticketmaster.

5 I think

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note
    I have spoken with the organiser throughout the lifetime of this idea. I spoke with them a number of times this week including today.

While there is a delay, I can confirm its a genuine gig and event but there are ongoing delays which the organisers were not expecting. Its been knock after knock, and its annoying on everyone but its just how things have worked out.

I'm keeping in regular contact with them and I can assure you that its a genuine event.

Thanks folks.

To be fair, if there are 4 or 5 acts that you would have heard of on the day the price doesn't look that bad. I genuinely hope it all works out for the best for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Unfortunately we will be holding off our launch until further notice , Due to reasons out of our control with contracts , Keep checking back for more details and exclusives . We will be running more ticket giveaways as a way of an apology for this Delay . We are extremely happy with the line up but unfortunately we are held up with something that is beyond our control. Save the Date July 30th

I understand the frustration. But this is something that is 100% happening and Everything is in place fro planning to staging to security. But at the last minute something has happened and we have taken the option to postpone because of this . We are looking at 8 stage acts and to announce all the acts, our legal team has to be 100% that everything is correct and that they are ok to announce the Line up . Sincere apologies.

This desicion is not taken lighlty as we had a full Media Launch ready to roll on Beat 102 103 and The Irish Daily Star Our official Media Partners.Also the launch party was to be held in City Square . We do not see this being a lengthy delay just that it could not happen tommorrow .

Apologies from all the Team at Waterford Music Fest ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

edit: didn't see the above post

ziedth wrote: »
    To be fair, if there are 4 or 5 acts that you would have heard of on the day the price doesn't look that bad. I genuinely hope it all works out for the best for them.

Hi Zieth ,

We will have 8 acts in total i can say that

Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Haha this is mental! I'll echo my comments on their Facebook page. This is amateur hour stuff and is so ridiculous it's almost funny.

Why on earth would you put it off again? Let's say some legal problem has appeared out of nowhere (and forgive me if I don't believe this, seeing as it's the reason we've been given for how long now). That problem is surely only to do with one or two acts or whatever. Why not announce what's confirmed rather than failing to deliver on yet another promise?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Haha this is mental! I'll echo my comments on their Facebook page. This is amateur hour stuff and is so ridiculous it's almost funny.

Why on earth would you put it off again? Let's say some legal problem has appeared out of nowhere (and forgive me if I don't believe this, seeing as it's the reason we've been given for how long now). That problem is surely only to do with one or two acts or whatever. Why not announce what's confirmed rather than failing to deliver on yet another promise?

You don't announce support acts without the full confirmation from the main acts. Its embarrassing, and doesn't look good, but they didn't expect it to be dragged out this long.

I understand your frustration and you cannot imagine ours. Somethings are just out of our hands and this was the case today . We had to make the decision today to postpone unfortunately and that meant cancelling the whole launch which is very costly to do so as the full add campaigns were ready to roll out with dates on all material which has to be changed .

I apologize for this as it makes us look bad but can assure you that the event is still 100% .

Neill

I understand your frustration and you cannot imagine ours. Somethings are just out of our hands and this was the case today . We had to make the decision today to postpone unfortunately and that meant cancelling the whole launch which is very costly to do so as the full add campaigns were ready to roll out with dates on all material which has to be changed .

I apologize for this as it makes us look bad but can assure you that the event is still 100% .

Neill

Ah like I'm sure you had no want whatsoever to do it. I just think, given what's gone before with hyping the event up, saying how nothing can be said due to legal reasons etc, that when you set a date for launch, it had to be set in stone. There could be no chance of something cropping up that would stop the launch. Now this happened and the trust that was already seriously decimated has now been destroyed.

I don't doubt that the gig will go ahead or that you're trying your best but the way everything's gone leaves a lot to be desired. I just hope that it will be successful enough to allow you to run it again next year and not make the same mistakes then!

Ah like I'm sure you had no want whatsoever to do it. I just think, given what's gone before with hyping the event up, saying how nothing can be said due to legal reasons etc, that when you set a date for launch, it had to be set in stone. There could be no chance of something cropping up that would stop the launch. Now this happened and the trust that was already seriously decimated has now been destroyed.

I don't doubt that the gig will go ahead or that you're trying your best but the way everything's gone leaves a lot to be desired. I just hope that it will be successful enough to allow you to run it again next year and not make the same mistakes then!

Year 1 always has problems . Year 2 becomes easier and we see where we went wrong . We agree we jumped the gun but the contracts are the problem and solictors unfortunately dictate our every move and when they say no we have to obey and take what comes with postponing .

Apologies all round

Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Big Slick Poker, did you not say that the legal formalities and contracts had been all wrapped up and done with? Now they appear not to have been?

As mentioned Dan there has been a considerable improvement to the event (from a financial viability point of view) with the addition of more acts that will attract a broader audience. New acts = new contracts.

Maybe they responded to the initial reaction of the populace...which is commendable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

GOOD GOD this is annoying and if it all ends up to be just the rumoured act il cry i hope at the end il at least feel the need to try get a ticket :( , when is the next supposed date of announcement :confused:

Sully wrote: »
    You don't announce support acts without the full confirmation from the main acts. Its embarrassing, and doesn't look good, but they didn't expect it to be dragged out this long.
    As mentioned Dan there has been a considerable improvement to the event (from a financial viability point of view) with the addition of more acts that will attract a broader audience. New acts = new contracts.

Maybe they responded to the initial reaction of the populace...which is commendable.

These two comments seem to contradict each other. One suggests that the contracts issue is with the main acts, the other with an act or multiple acts that have been added later. If it's the former, then it's bad planning to say that everything will be tied up by April 1st without being dead certain. If it's the latter, then there's no reason why whatever is confirmed couldn't be announced.

Well I'm not part of the team organising this so I really can't comment with any real conviction. As kensutz pointed out earlier 50 Cent is obviously their headline act, confirmed and tied up with no loose ends.

I know what it's like dealing with companies like MCD and they never make it easy for ya, especially if you're new to the scene.

I'm a mouthy fcuker and Im one of those types who finds it hard to bite their lip...whether it's on here or real life. I haven't really made the secret of the fact that I didnt really think this would work but I've supported the people who are behind it all the way, simply because they deserve support and credit for trying something for this town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

If the main acts were confirmed as was stated, would it not make sense to go ahead and announce them on the official launch date, and then make more press releases in the future saying "also addded to the bill x and y"?

If there has been the addition of new acts to attract a broader audience, this is something I can't understand. This is a music festival, taking place over 1 day, with presumably 1 stage. You cannot offer all things to all people. Every type of music has certain fans which like that genre and may or may not like other genres. Rap and hip hop is in a niche market and doesn't have much overlap with other types of music. If the organisers think they are going to get the young rap fans to see 50 cent while also getting the indie crowd or the rock crowd to see a different act on the same bill, then they are sadly mistaken if they think you can just lob them together and it will work out.

^ I'm not to sure about that. Say for example 3 of the 5 acts of the kind of music I like then I'd prob go down for them and stick around then for the other acts too. But that's just me to be fair.

Edit: Thank you Beegirl, I post on the mobile site so I don't usually see post count. I feel great at 5,000 till I see the lads on like the film fourm who have like 30,40,50 thousand posts. Someday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Well I for one am absolutely shocked and surprised by this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ I'm not to sure about that. Say for example 3 of the 5 acts of the kind of music I like then I'd prob go down for them and stick around then for the other acts too. But that's just me to be fair.

^^^5000th post!!!!

Anyway, me too! Even if there were a couple of good acts (good from my point of view I mean!) added - be they national or international - I think I would go - like say what about Republic of loose or something? Not that I'd pay over 50 just to see them on their own but it would probably be a good day all in all, atmosphere wise etc even though I'm not really into the acts that might be headlining...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we could have a boards get together down at this even though it could be expensive lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Any rumours on who the other acts are going to be?

It'd be class if they got someone like Bell X1, Republic of Loose, Coronas... even Paddy Casey!

Hopefully it'll be announced finally this week anyway.

• Advertisement

That would certainly be a random line-up. Some former x factor singers would actually be great filler and get more people in there I'm sure.

Advertisement