Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Boooourns wrote: »
    At the end of the day all i want to know is MC Dubh playing?

We need him to add a local vibe to the event.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shame about the promotional material/website design - hope it doesn't get people thinking its some sort of piss take and discourage them from buying tickets.

Its a pretty good lineup and while itts not everyones cup of tea - what is? A lot of people will go to this gig as supporters of the acts or just because they want to support the fantastic idea.

We should support local festivals like this, and get behind them as its great for local tourism and businesses. A lot of festivals don't succeed because we, and the council, do not get behind them.

Good work to all involved for finally getting it announced and official. Looking forward to it and I hope its a fantastic success. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    Its a pretty good lineup and while itts not everyones cup of tea - what is?

Ice-T presumably.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dayshah wrote: »
    Ice-T presumably.

Pffft. Tea should be hot, not cold. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Them girls from wonderland would get it :)

Mrs Ziedth watched some documentary about them earlier in the year. Think they managed by ya man from westlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

There is no way the line up is going to pull 15,000

50 cent in cork last year 5,000
    The O2 in Dublin about the same

Wonderland who are they?
    Flo Rida not bad
    Smash hits??? Good for a club maybe
    And Shane Ward, dropped by Mr Cowell last week
    And haven’t a clue who the dj is

Personally I don’t have any respect for the people promoting this, full of S***t hope its goes well for the city but that’s about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Wonderland who are they?
    They're becoming fairly famous, will have an album out by June.
    Flo Rida not bad
    Sold out the Marquee in Cork.
    Sold out the Olympia three nights in a row this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

daddydick wrote: »
    I wouldnt agree Boooourn, a lot of people may be rock lovers and dont mind listening to Flo Rida etc when they're on the radio. If they announce a large rock band, people will pay that bit more if they are going to also hear other music they are used to listening to ie. flo rida, 50 cent, shayne ward

Sweet Mother of Mercy no. A lot of people who like rock don't mind listening to Flo Rida on the radio? I love rock, as do most of my friends and none of us can stand that kind of music. Some indie gigs I've been to I've seen loads of fans putting in earplugs because they didn't want to hear the support act.

I really think people are forgetting that you can't just throw any 2 types of music together at a festival and expect it to gel. If people are expecting to get the teenage girl audience for Shane Ward, and also the hip hop scanger wannabes for 50 cent side by side with them at a festival, that's not gonna work out too well.
    There is no way the line up is going to pull 15,000

50 cent in cork last year 5,000
    The O2 in Dublin about the same

Wonderland who are they?
    Flo Rida not bad
    Smash hits??? Good for a club maybe
    And haven’t a clue who the dj is

Personally I don’t have any respect for the people promoting this, full of S***t hope its goes well for the city but that’s about it

I'd say Smash Hits can't believe their luck alright, a 90's tribute band playing a festival. They are quite good though.
    Musicman, are you involved in music in any way?

While I certainly won't be going, I'm glad to see the whole thing has come together in the end.

I reckon you'd be surprised how many are going to go to this? What would the 16-21 year old population of the city be?

Noel you would want to ge t some of your facts straight

Their first single flopped in the UK and Irish charts a month or so ago.

I did say Flo rida is not bad

Big difference between the Olympia and the RSC capacity wise, If you really think their is going to be 15,000 you need to get your head checked

• Advertisement

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Sweet Mother of Mercy no. A lot of people who like rock don't mind listening to Flo Rida on the radio? I love rock, as do most of my friends and none of us can stand that kind of music. Some indie gigs I've been to I've seen loads of fans putting in earplugs because they didn't want to hear the support act.

I really think people are forgetting that you can't just throw any 2 types of music together at a festival and expect it to gel. If people are expecting to get the teenage girl audience for Shane Ward, and also the hip hop scanger wannabes for 50 cent side by side with them at a festival, that's not gonna work out too well.

I'd say Smash Hits can't believe their luck alright, a 90's tribute band playing a festival. They are quite good though.
    Musicman, are you involved in music in any way?

While I certainly won't be going, I'm glad to see the whole thing has come together in the end.

Yes I was in Dublin for a few years, but not anymore, Yes they are good but I dont think they are suited to a festival

ziedth wrote: »
    I reckon you'd be surprised how many are going to go to this? What would the 16-21 year old population of the city be?

Obviously I hope they are successful at brining in people to Waterford.

But what will Spraoi have on the same day?

I wouldn't be into the rap stuff, so unless the other acts are really big, I'd be inclined to stick to Spraoi. So I think a lot of the 16-21 year olds will be hanging around Spraoi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

homolumo wrote: »
    We need him to add a local vibe to the event.

He is leading the way locally, would be good to see mc dubh on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the absence of at least 3 death metal bands on the line-up is a clear indicator that the organisers do not have their finger on the pulse of the nation :p

best of luck with this in spite of the fact that you have excluded me and my family from attending \m/ :p

Noel you would want to ge t some of your facts straight

Their first single flopped in the UK and Irish charts a month or so ago.

I did say Flo rida is not bad

Big difference between the Olympia and the RSC capacity wise, If you really think their is going to be 15,000 you need to get your head checked

No, you're clearly wrong.

The capacity of the Olympia is 1,300. Multiply that by 3 and you've got 3,900, and that's just for one of the minor acts involved in the concert. Tickets for that concert were €40 each, for just one act.

As for Wonderland's first single, how would you know about it? Afterall your first question was "Who are they?". They're single didn't flop, it placed in both the Irish and British charts unlike many artists. It was their first single, and without and album present it still managed to chart. They're forming an ever-growing fan base as they support Westlife on tour, so despite you're pessimism I'm sure that this concert will be a success. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Well, I'll be there and so will my two kids aged 17 and 13 (thats providing there no age limit).......I'm 47 and am looking forward to it.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    No, you're clearly wrong.

The capacity of the Olympia is 1,300. Multiply that by 3 and you've got 3,900, and that's just for one of the minor acts involved in the concert. Tickets for that concert were €40 each, for just one act.

As for Wonderland's first single, how would you know about it? Afterall your first question was "Who are they?". They're single didn't flop, it placed in both the Irish and British charts unlike many artists. It was their first single, and without and album present it still managed to chart. They're forming an ever-growing fan base as they support Westlife on tour, so despite you're pessimism I'm sure that this concert will be a success. :)

Exactly who are they????????? Not a group I would be putting in a festival, Come off it Noel it did flop, It was placed very very poorly. One album from them and that will be it. Ill quote you again in August:) can you tell me why Shane Ward no longer has a record deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Daysha wrote: »
    It will be the biggest selling point for a lot of people though. At the moment I'm about 50:50 on whether I'll go or not, but if they can get someone like a Paolo Nutini or somebody else mainstream they might be enough for me to give it a shot.

Also, can I ask if one of the remaining acts is local?
    Looks like 'The Wanted' is one of the other acts.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=150778574987271

If true about the wanted then would I be right in saying 4 of the acts have had a UK no 1?

In all fairness that's hardly terrible for a first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think we need two threads for all events:
    - One for talking about what the event is all about and what is going to happen.
    - The other one for talking about how it's a rip-off, how it's definitely going to fail, how it's going to attract scumbags, drugs, litter and crime; how the money is going to fund child rape and trafficking; and how the organisers are the worst sort of people in the world, who are only doing it for the most cynical reasons imaginable.

Give the people what they want and all that.

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Are you involved in the organising? Because I don't think that talking up Wonderland's chart success lends any credibility what so ever to the event. Peaking at 22 in the Irish charts for Louis Walsh band is a flop.

If it is successful it will because people want to see the headline acts. Wonderland are just there for filler.

dayshah wrote: »
    Are you involved in the organising? Because I don't think that talking up Wonderland's chart success lends any credibility what so ever to the event. Peaking at 22 in the Irish charts for Louis Walsh band is a flop.

If it is successful it will because people want to see the headline acts. Wonderland are just there for filler.

No :pac: I just love Wonderland :P

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

There's a hell of a lot of bands playing at Oxegen and Electric Picnic that would kill for a Top 30 single. I was listening to Beat FM earlier and they did a competition for this. The winner (an adult female) said she would love to go to see Shane Ward and Wonderland, not 50 Cent and Flo Rida. I was kinda surprised to hear that, but it just shows.

Fair play to the promoters. Musicman... that's a big old chip there on your shoulder, but it's evident on many threads here.

Someone has to tell the truth Sandra, I just hate all this hype,hype rubbish, name the acts when they are booked simple as, Im glad for the city its good to see, and for Shane Ward and Wonderland im sure every young child in the city will love them and Noel to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

STIG83 wrote: »
    Shayne Ward must be stuck for work, AFAIK he was dropped by his record label recently.

Wish you guys all the best but Jeez Shane Ward is only big in Ireland and the others..................

All the best to the organisers.

Someone has to tell the truth Sandra, I just hate all this hype,hype rubbish, name the acts when they are booked simple as, Im glad for the city its good to see, and for Shane Ward and Wonderland im sure every young child in the city will love them and Noel to:D

*too

Ps, I'm only 18, so like.. :)

you see now mr. BIG-SLICK-POKER, the crowd are baying for Metal, I'll not say 'I told you so' but ..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

After Mr Big Slick Poker made the breakthrough in the entertainment business with Chris Doran. Will he be making a comeback with all the other wash up acts in your line up??

From the top............ if my world stops turning in the morning...........

crikey Gardner, it's a sat night/sun morn, take a chill pill and give the world a break from the negativity, **** like that would give you ire, seriously mate, it's only rock n' roll smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Looks to be getting a bit overheated in here - chill out :cool:

First off - @Gardner: This isn't a place for taking a personal dig at anyone, the thread is set out to talk about the festival itself so if you want to take a shot at someone do us all a favour and go somewhere else. The 2 lads involved in organising the event happen to be 2 very nice lads so get your head out of your a*** and look at the upside of this - more visitors to the city, great chances for local businesses to increase income etc, the chance to build a good reputation for Waterford as the best concert venue in the south east let alone the country for big acts......

Secondly - If you don't like the acts or there not your cup of tea theres a simple solution - don't go.............

Thirdly - Hats off to the lads, they've done a fantastic job so far in bringing these acts to Waterford. Fair enough theres been a few glitches along the way we can all see that but sure its a stepping stone and they will learn from there mistakes and i can nearly say it will keep coming back bigger and better than ever year after year...

To be honest lads when was the last time anyone in this city tried to bring big international music acts to Waterford, to get this far alone is a big achievement in itself....

So all i can say is f*** the begrudgers and if your not happy then don't bother going - you may want this and that etc but you have to realise not everyone has the same taste of music as you............:cool:

Advertisement