Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was just speaking to Neill about the event and he's signed an artist that will surely make this a sell out. Hope he doesn't mind me posting here but sure I'm a gossip when it comes to these things :p.

Will be announced officially next week but if you were already interested in attending but haven't got a ticket, I'd recommend you get one asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    Was just speaking to Neill about the event and he's signed an artist that will surely make this a sell out. Hope he doesn't mind me posting here but sure I'm a gossip when it comes to these things :p.

Will be announced officially next week but if you were already interested in attending but haven't got a ticket, I'd recommend you get one asap.

So more of the same but still a big name yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Can you confirm what genre this artist is from??

or even say whether its more of the same (predominantly hip hop) or not?

or should i also call Neill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

If it was signed, he could announce it now, so it mustn't be signed to be fair..

nkay1985 wrote: »
    So more of the same but still a big name yeah?
    Nothing to do with hip-hop at all. Up until now I've been wishing the guys the best but really had no interest in the line up. This artist changes that, especially because I didn't think they'd play Ireland... let alone Waterford!

• Advertisement

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    If it was signed, he could announce it now, so it mustn't be signed to be fair..
    You don't announce something the week of a bank holiday when everyone is broke :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Was just speaking to Neill about the event and he's signed an artist that will surely make this a sell out.

Haven't they already sold out by not making this a death-metal gig.

:p

Nothing to do with hip-hop at all. Up until now I've been wishing the guys the best but really had no interest in the line up. This artist changes that, especially because I didn't think they'd play Ireland... let alone Waterford!

Hmmm. They? And your taste in music. That's a combination that could mean I'm interested too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

dayshah wrote: »
    Haven't they already sold out by not making this a death-metal gig.

:p

there you go :p some of us are still 'baying for metal' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Vanman1

Why dont you set up your own festival and show us all how it's done??

You clearly did not read my post fully. I've wished the guys well, the point I was making is that the likes of Shayne Ward, Wonderland etc are clearly NOT some of the biggest superstars in the Music industry surely even you can see that. My second point was that (and I clearly stated it was my personal opinion) that the line-up for an 'outdoor' festival was dreadful.

I stand by all of the above. You (as is your entitlement) may think differently so good luck to you if that's the case and should you attend hope it all lives up to your expections!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Vanman1 wrote: »
    You clearly did not read my post fully. I've wished the guys well, the point I was making is that the likes of Shayne Ward, Wonderland etc are clearly NOT some of the biggest superstars in the Music industry surely even you can see that. My second point was that (and I clearly stated it was my personal opinion) that the line-up for an 'outdoor' festival was dreadful.

I stand by all of the above. You (as is your entitlement) may think differently so good luck to you if that's the case and should you attend hope it all lives up to your expections!!

Its simple marketing. You hardly expected to call them a group of wasters who really couldn't pull together a decent vocal cord in their lives but they will do because they are cheap and we couldn't get anyone else?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

how much would you charge for this event? Like considering that the marquee prices range from 35€ to 80ish for one act and alot on week nights I think it offers good value to see good acts from the music industry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I did read it fully, and while I dont question that you said you "hope for their sake the festival is successfull", It did make me doubt whether you truly wish them well. But that's beside the point.

In your post, while "wishing them well", you also raised criticisms that, in my own personal opinion, were not constructive (mainly, the idea that they should not try and promote the significance of their acts in the global music industry). While you are, of course, entitled to your opinions I would wonder how you would advertise acts in a festival if you were the one organizing it.

Sully wrote: »
    Its simple marketing. You hardly expected to call them a group of wasters who really couldn't pull together a decent vocal cord in their lives but they will do because they are cheap and we couldn't get anyone else?!

No, nor did I say suggest that. Your wording not mine but perhaps that's what many people may very well think looking thru the line-up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No, nor did I say suggest that. Your wording not mine but perhaps that's what many people may very well think looking thru the line-up.

But thats the thing. Its his job to promote the festival and he will describe it like its the best thing in the world, no matter how ****e. Others may disagree, others may agree - but it needs to be sold damn well and thats exactly what they will do.

Me - I cant sing. But if by some bizarre reason I was asked and signed up for 40k + expenses, you will be damn sure they will sell the **** out of me and ill be the best thing since sliced bread.

Its just marketing!

I did read it fully, and while I dont question that you said you "hope for their sake the festival is successfull", It did make me doubt whether you truly wish them well. But that's beside the point.

In your post, while "wishing them well", you also raised criticisms that, in my own personal opinion, were not constructive (mainly, the idea that they should not try and promote the significance of their acts in the global music industry). While you are, of course, entitled to your opinions I would wonder how you would advertise acts in a festival if you were the one organizing it.

No, I understand it's big risk to take and I genuinely hope it all works out and benefits the city overall. Would of course 'big it up' too if it was me running it but if putting a line up together I would look at alternatives to the likes of Shayne Ward / Wonderland etc as I am sure you would get some decent Irish/UK bands with decent profiles for a similar fee. It is after all an 'out door' music festival.

Sully wrote: »
    But thats the thing. Its his job to promote the festival and he will describe it like its the best thing in the world, no matter how ****e. Others may disagree, others may agree - but it needs to be sold damn well and thats exactly what they will do.

Me - I cant sing. But if by some bizarre reason I was asked and signed up for 40k + expenses, you will be damn sure they will sell the **** out of me and ill be the best thing since sliced bread.

Its just marketing!

I hear ya Sully but the other side of the coin is that while you can fool some of the people some of the time etc..... I can't sing a note myself either should we pool our talents together and see if we can't blow em away at the auditions - you never know....it might just happen for us ....!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'd fair love Primal Scream.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Miss Snowy

Hear that its Faithless being announced, for around 40k plus expenses!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Miss Snowy wrote: »
    No way!
    Fair play if it's true. Very good line up for it's first year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Miss Snowy wrote: »
    Dont think so, Faithless have split up:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

couple of Waterford bands on the line up would be good i think,seeing as we have one of Irelands best bands at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Beeker wrote: »
    Dont think so, Faithless have split up:(
    :pac:
    Faithless have not split its the Live Band production was too big to produce and bring on tour all the time is all Im sure Maxi Jazz will always be invlolved with Faithless with production scaled down is all , Still same tunes same voice .

EDIT: Just found this -

DJ Mark Kavanagh on Twitter - "Faithless' last ever Irish concert will be at Waterford Music Fest Saturday July 30 alongside Fiddy and Flo-rida."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Will be a shame to see them on an undercard to 50 cent cause they would blow the roof of the place as a festival finale. Instead it will be an anti-climax...npt so much cause 50 cent will be poor, but more because his music doesn't really lend itself to a rousing, feel good, go home buzzing, finish.

Still though, a great addition to the lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

christ if faithless are openin for 50cent the world is gone mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

blue-army wrote: »
    EDIT: Just found this -

DJ Mark Kavanagh on Twitter - "Faithless' last ever Irish concert will be at Waterford Music Fest Saturday July 30 alongside Fiddy and Flo-rida."

I take back any nasty stuff I might have said,

I'm fvcking going!!!!!!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Speculation guys

Mods please remove as we cannot have this as confirmed and cannot have that type of speculation with regards acts and prices.

Already made contact with Mark kavanagh to ask where he got this and to remove his tweet ?

Regards

Neill K

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Faithless!! I'm there!

Speculation guys

Mods please remove as we cannot have this as confirmed and cannot have that type of speculation with regards acts and prices.

Already made contact with Mark kavanagh to ask where he got this and to remove his tweet ?

Regards

Neill K

But sure that's what threads like this are about. Rumours, gossip and speculation! If it is true, that's some coup but I do agree that the world has gone mad if Faithless have to open for 50 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

You really do get some beauties on here!!!

Go take some evening marketing courses and see how you would go about advertising an event like this!!

If it was Mary Black and Dick, Dave n' Us headlining I would understand your view that they are not some of the biggest superstars in the world but in fairness to the lads, the line-up is pretty decent....there is no arguing that 50 cent and flo rida's music is known across the world and there is no doubt that they are international stars!!

Advertisement