Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I too heard that a couple of weeks ago, hopefully it will go ahead, but youd imagine it would want to be cancelled sooner rather than later if it is tocbe cancelled.
    Personally, I know nobody going to this.
    Same, haven't talked to one person thats going. We're still gettin offered discounted tickets in work and they're being given away as prizes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Saw them advertising it on the NYPD advertising trailer in Tramore today!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I heard from someone today that only 3000 tickets have been sold. I know the lineup isn't my sort of thing but thought it would have sold better than that!!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That's the figure I heard in the week leading up to the tall ships, however I would have though that that should have increased big time by now, if it hasn't, I fear that it may not go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Some of the rumours that have been started are ridiculous!

"I heard faithless are only appearing on TV screens there"
    "50cent has been arrested and won't be performing"

I can't even imagine how hard it is to operate as a newcomer into the field, up against one of the biggest players in the world. All things considered, I think they've done very well but it will be interesting to see if this can be made an annual event either here or somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Of course it will go ahead. There would probably be serious implications to cancel a gig that's being heavily promoted on radio three (nearly two) weeks before. Sure the lads even got a bullet proof car for Fiddy, according to Beat today.

I know ticket sales are probably piss poor, and its not my lineup either. It wasn't best put together from beginning to end but at the same time its an attempt regardless of who makes the money and I cant help but feel there are begrudgers trying to knock the gig at every turn.

I say fair play, but do it better next time if there will be one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Sully wrote: »
    Of course it will go ahead. There would probably be serious implications to cancel a gig that's being heavily promoted on radio three (nearly two) weeks before. Sure the lads even got a bullet proof car for Fiddy, according to Beat today.

I know ticket sales are probably piss poor, and its not my lineup either. It wasn't best put together from beginning to end but at the same time its an attempt regardless of who makes the money and I cant help but feel there are begrudgers trying to knock the gig at every turn.

I say fair play, but do it better next time if there will be one.

So how do you find running the major music festivals yourself every year Sully? :)

Elbows22 wrote: »
    So how do you find running the major music festivals yourself every year Sully? :)

Easy peasy. Piece of pie. Don't know why Neil is stressed at all :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Easy peasy. Piece of pie. Don't know why Neil is stressed at all :P

2 lads are doing a fantastic job so far imho. Not really there fault that we live in a town of begrudgers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

2 lads are doing a fantastic job so far imho. Not really there fault that we live in a town of begrudgers :)

Very easy to blame it on that in fairness. The reality is that the lineup doesn't appeal to the majority of people. Out of the entire lineup, Faithless are the only group I'd like to see but I'm not going to pay €55 or whatever the price of the ticket is just to see them. I suspect a lot of people are the same. For instance, if someone's a fan of 50 cent, theyr'e hardly going to be Wonderland or Shane Ward fans. The reverse is also true.

If it goes ahead last year, I think they would be better off making it more focused. If it's a pop festival, let it be that. If it's a hip hop/R 'n' B festival, let it be that. But by trying to appeal to lots of different people, they probably ended up not appealing to enough.

Really hope the stories of ticket sales are untrue and that it's a success for the lads though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Sure the lads even got a bullet proof car for Fiddy, according to Beat today.

ah jaysus i know the rsc is near ballybeg but thats a bit extreme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I read that the recent trend in Ireland for concerts has been that they are still selling out. However, in the past they would sell out within 20 minutes, now tickets are still available up to the last week.

I'd say for this one its even more of a factor. I'd expect lots of people will leave it to the last week and say to their friends, 'ah, sure will we wander in'.

Begrudgers.

Still the most annoying and overused word on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

As far as I know the night of the concert Faithless are due to fly out of the airport for Ibiza.....

To be fair, there are more than two people involved in the operation and getting it together. But that's besides the point. Its been a bit of a PR disaster and the acts are far to mixed. The promotional material and website isn't the best either (though improved from what they had). So there are areas that need improvement, but even with all that, you have to hand it to the lads for pushing along anyway and trying to get something decent for Waterford. A lot of people seem intent on knocking it in every single shape or form, which is a pitty. Begrudges, that's what they are! ;)

Maybe next year, or another year, they or someone else can try again but with a more even lineup. Still though, you will probably have the same begrudges moaning away and knocking it.

Begrudgerism should be made illegal. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

if the organisers had taken my advice and gone for a day of Metal then they'd be raking in the cash by now and we'd all be millionaires Rodney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

tankbarry wrote: »
    As far as I know the night of the concert Faithless are due to fly out of the airport for Ibiza.....

Other way around I think, they are playing in Ibiza the day before, the 29th July, according to their website... Hope there's no flight problems with them getting to Waterford by the next day :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

To be fair, there are more than two people involved in the operation and getting it together. But that's besides the point. Its been a bit of a PR disaster and the acts are far to mixed. The promotional material and website isn't the best either (though improved from what they had). So there are areas that need improvement, but even with all that, you have to hand it to the lads for pushing along anyway and trying to get something decent for Waterford. A lot of people seem intent on knocking it in every single shape or form, which is a pitty. Begrudges, that's what they are! ;)

Maybe next year, or another year, they or someone else can try again but with a more even lineup. Still though, you will probably have the same begrudges moaning away and knocking it.

Begrudgerism should be made illegal. ;)

The word should anyway (on this forum). As far as I can see the majority of people were just pointing out what the organisers already know. The more it goes on the more they're learning, and that bodes well for next year's event. The security and events team behind it are the guys behind the Tall Ships so I think we can all agree they're in safe hands there.

The acts won't suit everyone but that's just life...The biggest headache in my life is trying to book the right acts to suit everyone. You can't please everyone all the time so the key is to try and please them some of the time.

Also, the lads, in particular Neil and Tara (i think it's tara?) deserve a lot of credit for how they have composed themselves with their facebook page. As sully and the guys know, people get very brave behind a keyboard and it's very hard to remain diplomatic, calm and dignified.

Line-up not your thing? That'll be begrudgery.

Didn't buy tickets? That's begrudgery.

Bought tickets but wasn't really your thing? Pity about ya, because thats begrudgery.

Begrudgery begrudgery arseoverfeckintits begrudgery

Now lets be done with it and use a new feckin word.

Line-up not your thing? That'll be begrudgery.

Didn't buy tickets? That's begrudgery.

Bought tickets but wasn't really your thing? Pity about ya, because thats begrudgery.

Begrudgery begrudgery arseoverfeckintits begrudgery

Now lets be done with it and use a new feckin word.

How about a thread (perhaps a sticky) totally dedicated to begrudgery. That way it will soak up all the begrudgery, and the other threads will be begrudgery free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

dayshah wrote: »
    How about a thread (perhaps a sticky) totally dedicated to begrudgery. That way it will soak up all the begrudgery, and the other threads will be begrudgery free.

I really don't think we could fit it all into the one thread. We'd probably break the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 waterford1

I think it's great for the city n by god whoever is organising it has some balls to organise something like this I hope it's a major success n who knows it could be a yearly thing like sproai etc !!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Sure is a lot of resentment in on this forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

Hataazzzzzzzzz gonna hate...

Getting ready for fiddy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Hardly call all the talk about it here begrudgery (which may I add isn't a word.. <.<), it's just negative feedback tbh 'cos the Music Fest didn't exactly take off with a storm in terms of: line up, organisation and communication..

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

The line-up HAS to be diverse, so you can cater for all tastes. I'll be there and I cant wait for it. Personally, I cant stand 50cent but I will stay and watch him. You never know, he could be great live, and if the crowd are up for it, it could be a great event.

The line-up HAS to be diverse, so you can cater for all tastes. I'll be there and I cant wait for it. Personally, I cant stand 50cent but I will stay and watch him. You never know, he could be great live, and if the crowd are up for it, it could be a great event.

Well I'm quite disappointed at the lack of light opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And where's the acid jazz?

Wouldn't mind a bit of Tom Jones type music tbh. Didnt cater for me, I refuse to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Ah screw it you're right. I'm actually gutted that they couldn't get The Bok.:p

Advertisement