Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,270 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

kkdela6 wrote: »
    WATERFORD MUSIC FEST 2012

FRIDAY

MADNESS
    THE PIXIES
    IAN BROWN
    SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA
    MUMFORD AND SONS
    SWAMP STOMPERS
    WITH DJ TIESTO KEEPING ALL THE SCUMBAGS OUT IN SLIEVERUE OR SOMEWHERE

SATURDAY

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS
    THE PRODIGY
    ARCTIC MONKEYS
    DEADMAU5
    O EMPEROR
    FIGHTING SPIDERS
    WITH DJ RANKIN KEEPING ALL THE SCUMBAGS UP IN THE COMERAGH MOUNTAINS FOR THE DAY

....too optimistic? :D

Ill take Saturday please lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I heard someone say faithless weren't actually there live and their music videos were just being played on a big screen, is this true?

From what I heard. Faithless flew in on a private jet to Waterford from Ibiza and then flew straight back there when it was over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Who turned up at the after show party in harveys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

they flew to Leeds after there gig......

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

is it true the security took the red jacket back off the fan that caught it...:(
    the fella got pushed off the stage got some slap.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxxdjGGLK3w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

What dope would go to Harveys?no fool's in the Déise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hoffmans wrote: »
    is it true the security took the red jacket back off the fan that caught it...:(
    the fella got pushed off the stage got some slap.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxxdjGGLK3w

Jesus who the fcuk pushed him? Was he a fan that managed to get up onto the stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Did fiddy push him? If he did id be suing the hairy black balls off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Brilliant event, a great day, and I hope to see you all in 2012 :)

• Advertisement

LADY GAGA 2012............????? not a rumour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

tankbarry wrote: »
    LADY GAGA 2012............????? not a rumour

Yeah and The beatles are second on the bill, all four of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

kkdela6 wrote: »
    WATERFORD MUSIC FEST 2012

FRIDAY

MADNESS
    THE PIXIES
    IAN BROWN
    SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA
    MUMFORD AND SONS
    SWAMP STOMPERS
    WITH DJ TIESTO KEEPING ALL THE SCUMBAGS OUT IN SLIEVERUE OR SOMEWHERE

SATURDAY

RED HOT CHILLI PEPPERS
    THE PRODIGY
    ARCTIC MONKEYS
    DEADMAU5
    O EMPEROR
    FIGHTING SPIDERS
    WITH DJ RANKIN KEEPING ALL THE SCUMBAGS UP IN THE COMERAGH MOUNTAINS FOR THE DAY

....too optimistic? :D
    Chili Peppers aren't great live and are almost as overplayed as Kings of Leon at this stage. Also Ian Brown can't sing for shít live. I really do like your Tiesto and Rankin suggestions though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeah and The beatles are second on the bill, all four of them.

Ill get my shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

As I said earlier, the music isn't my taste and I was at indiependence instead. But by the sounds of it (and with the exception of the no-show) it seems to have gone well. Congrats to all involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Just want to say a big thank you to all the Boardies.

Its all a learning curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Adyx wrote: »
    Chili Peppers aren't great live and are almost as overplayed as Kings of Leon at this stage. Also Ian Brown can't sing for shít live. I really do like your Tiesto and Rankin suggestions though. :p

Ian Brown could just stand there and blow into an empty glass bottle and he'd still be inspirational :P

Its all a learning curve

Congrats Big Slick, delighted it was a success.

Can you imagine this in waterford next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Well, what a day that was on Saturday. Have to say it was absolutely fantastic and big congratulations have to go to Mark Dunne and Neil Kelly and all who were involved in creating a huge gig of this stature right here in Waterford.
    As is the case when anyone in Waterford tries to do something good the begreudgers in this town wish ill on it and hope it fails. They got their answer Saturday

I thought the line up was fantastic as it catered for fans all differant genres and differant ages. Big Faithless fan myself and they were excellent but have to admit that 50 Cent stole the show, absolutely fantastic!

Smash Hits were very good as were local band Solar Taxi who I am very quickly becoming a big fan off and DJ Ahmed really had the crowd on their feet throughout the breaks between acts with a great range of tunes!

Thought it was odd to have the stage facing PC World allowing people to look in for free and think the lads might look at this next year to increase the attendance. TBH, I could'nt really estimate what the attendance was at all but I remember looking back during 50 Cent and there looked like a quite sizeable crowd, any estimates lads?

Already looking forward to the Waterford Music Fest 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Its all a learning curve

Well done to all involved. My daughter was at and she had a ball - even though she was disappointed with Flo Rida - it didn't take away from the occasion.

The only real downside were those intent on causing bother and not giving a damn about other people but you get that at these events.

I'd just like to know your thoughts on the events outside the stadium with at least 2,000 able to view the concert as good as those inside for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

jimbojazz wrote: »

I'd just like to know your thoughts on the events outside the stadium with at least 2,000 able to view the concert as good as those inside for free.

Gardai estimated at 500+ outside

Road was suposed to be closed but Gardai changed this .

We will fix this for next year please god and make this bigger and better on the field or even at a different location . Bolton street being a super option .

Just happy we got this to happen and apologies about FLO RIDA but these things happen , At the start of the day we also had issues with 50 cent who had to make and emergency landing and was delayed but all good . I have to say the man absolutely stole the show . He was amzing LIVE .Again we do this to put Bring Music to Waterford but need support for it to happen . I think after year one people will belive in us more and get behind us ..

I would love to hear your choices for a two day fest . Pick 2 rock 2 RNB/POP and 2 dance acts ?

Regards

Neill K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think for a two day event your going into Oxygen territory and I don't know will you be able to stand up next to it given it's (although fairly scummy) popularity. I personally think your better off with a wall to wall excellent one day event then maybe allot of fluff padding out a two day.

Are you thinking of having such an eclectic mixture of genres again next year? I honestly think its the right way to go. Like say if you had I dunno Snow Patrol or to mention them again Mumford & Sons I would have Been there with bells on because I'm a big fan and if pop acts are there too sure what harm you can always say you saw them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Yeah if it were up to me I'd stick with the one day for at least another year and focus instead on improving things you felt you fell down on this year.

And I'd be like ziedth as well with regards the lineup. I'd rather a group of B-list rock bands then an A-list, world-famous act from a genre I've no interest in (like what happened this year).

if you got guys like Mumford and Sons, Paolo Nutini, Two Door Cinema Club etc I'd be there in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

We will fix this for next year please god and make this bigger and better on the field or even at a different location . Bolton street being a super option .

Just happy we got this to happen and apologies about FLO RIDA but these things happen , At the start of the day we also had issues with 50 cent who had to make and emergency landing and was delayed but all good . I have to say the man absolutely stole the show . He was amzing LIVE .Again we do this to put Bring Music to Waterford but need support for it to happen . I think after year one people will belive in us more and get behind us ..

I would love to hear your choices for a two day fest . Pick 2 rock 2 RNB/POP and 2 dance acts ?

Regards

Neill K

There are some top quality Irish bands around at the moment. The likes of Republic Of Loose, Bell X1, Ash and of course O Emperor are all excellent live bands. Snow Patrol or The Script would be massive coups if you could pull it off. RNB wouldn't really be my genre of choice so can't really comment on that but in terms of a dance act - Swedish House Mafia were excellent at Oxegen.

Well done the other day by the way. icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Regards

Neill K

Think they were a bit conservative there, Neill, as I posted earlier I had to collect her and got down at 10.30 - there was a lot more tha 500 there.

She's still on a high. i dont think you'll have any bother with sales next year

While I agree the Bolton Street car park is a great venue - I dont think it would be suitable for such an event given

1. its in a mainly residential area
    2. the sound system would probably structurally damage a lot of the
    buildings down there!!
    3. with these events you tend to get a lot of on street and under age
    drinking so I think that could be an issue down there

Ideally you'd need a venue that is obviously not visible from the road e.g somewhere like Tramore Racecourse - but thats taking it out of the city.
    One that is easy to police, not in a residential area.

One place in town that is ideal is the North Wharf - but there is a major security issue there with the river - so your insurance would rocket.

As regards acts, a wish list for me would be

Dance Acts

Sander Van Doorn
    Swedish House Mafia
    Faithless
    Fat Boy Slim
    The Prodigy
    Chemical Brothers
    Pendulem
    Japenese Popstars

Others

Specials
    Madness
    The Script
    Snow Patrol
    The Courteenas
    The View
    Elbow
    Paolo Nuitni
    Cee Lo Green
    Kool and the Gang
    Glasvegas
    Noah and the Whale
    Imelda May

I agree with most of the Lads I think a 1 day event would be much better especially in the times we are in...

I personally think that RnB next year would be a great seller..... at the moment they are producing some artists...

You could also throw in the likes of : adele that kind too

I might be looking for a bit too much but what about somebody like Rihanna ? she is on in belfast and that will hold about 15,000 you would get more in the RSC if you turned the stage around.

add a few like

tinnie tempah
    jason de rulo

no problem filling that concert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont think it will be in the Rsc next year.

Heard there were a few complaints from local residents about the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

mikeym wrote: »

I couldnt actually talk, had to shout in the house. Saying that there didnt seem to be any trouble about the place and hope next year will have a line-up that i would enjoy myself. Even a completely Irish line up could be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

mikeym wrote: »

I couldnt actually talk, had to shout in the house. Saying that there didnt seem to be any trouble about the place and hope next year will have a line-up that i would enjoy myself. Even a completely Irish line up could be amazing.

What part of town do you live in ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    I think for a two day event your going into Oxygen territory and I don't know will you be able to stand up next to it given it's (although fairly scummy) popularity.

One thing it has different to Oxygen is the urban setting. So its easier to get to by train. If it were to be a two day event, camping probably wouldn't be an option (unless you had shuttle buses out to a camp site).

A two-day could be grand for locals, and it would be a bit mad to go to a festival, go to disco, and then back to festival the next day. But it would be fairly expensive for non-locals to get accommodation. They'd probably need at least 2 nights accommodation.

Anyway, I'm glad it went so well.

Advertisement