Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Like an earlier poster said, there are plenty of great Irish acts that would be realistic targets to get too, say what you like about 50 Cent but he was a major coup for the organisers, should make it easier to get acts in the coming years when they see who's gone before. I would say achievable and popular acts would be the likes of
    Snow Patrol
    Bell X1
    Imelda May
    Republic of Loose
    The Coronas
    Ryan Sheridan
    Maverick Sabre

and possibly
    Tinie Tempah
    Mumford & Sons
    The Script
    Katy Perry even

As for Adele I think she's gone on record about her fear of large crowds and only really plays intimate gigs,
    As for Adele I think she's gone on record as saying

Apologies for the arse about face end to that post, my phone won't let me edit it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah, Adele will not play any large gigs because she suffers with nerves. 50 Cent was so impressed with the gig that he tweeted about it today or yesterday.
    50cent 50cent
    I had a good show #SK RT @wavinpipe: @50cent it's All over the Air Waves that you rocked Waterford last night !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

I was talking to my (now ex) girlfriends mother back in May and we were discussing the line up and she had a wonderful idea. Get a mix of rock/pop/ska etc acts from the 80s until the contempary. It would attract actual music fans who are willing to pay for their music as opposed to skangers who are completely indifferent to music and are much happier to have their own parties in the PC World carpark. In fairness Neill fair play on the concert and how little trouble has arose from it but please make the acts more music based instead of rappers/djs

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Two R&B acts I'd like to see are Tinie Tempah and Cee Lo Green. Two rock acts I'd like to see are Arctic Monkeys and Mumford and Sons. Two dance acts - maybe Fish Go Deep and Calvin Harris. It would be nice to see one or two Irish acts but not sure if an all Irish line up would work seen as there are so many one day festivals already going on with that kind of line up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Nypd wrote: »
    What part of town do you live in ?
    kingsmeadow

Two R&B acts I'd like to see are Tinie Tempah and Cee Lo Green. Two rock acts I'd like to see are Arctic Monkeys and Mumford and Sons. Two dance acts - maybe Fish Go Deep and Calvin Harris. It would be nice to see one or two Irish acts but not sure if an all Irish line up would work seen as there are so many one day festivals already going on with that kind of line up.

You are right about the Irish acts in that respect, and agreed, would love to see Arctic Monkeys and Calvin Harris. Fish Go Deep have played town a lot though, not my scene at all but the missus like all dance stuff and her and her mates have nicknamed them Fish Go Sleep due to the regularity with which they play town and the apathy that comes from that. Could be an idea to have a large main stage and then a smaller one on the far end of the venue for more local acts to get a bit more exposure e.g. a Beat FM 'Irish Beats' stage that would play in between the main stage acts? A band like Fighting Spiders or the like might benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I would love to hear your choices for a two day fest . Pick 2 rock 2 RNB/POP and 2 dance acts ?

Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Armin Van Buuren, David Guetta :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Paully D wrote: »
    Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Armin Van Buuren, David Guetta :cool:

We were in talks with Chris Brown but his stage spec was MADDDDDDDDDDDD////Van Burren Ticks all the boxes for me.

batm!ke wrote: »
    You are right about the Irish acts in that respect, and agreed, would love to see Arctic Monkeys and Calvin Harris. Fish Go Deep have played town a lot though, not my scene at all but the missus like all dance stuff and her and her mates have nicknamed them Fish Go Sleep due to the regularity with which they play town and the apathy that comes from that. Could be an idea to have a large main stage and then a smaller one on the far end of the venue for more local acts to get a bit more exposure e.g. a Beat FM 'Irish Beats' stage that would play in between the main stage acts? A band like Fighting Spiders or the like might benefit?

That's a good point actually about Fish Go Deep. My friends aren't really into anything but pop music so haven't gotten to see them that much. However it might be better to get someone that the rest of Waterford hasn't seen regularly. Perhaps Calvin Harris mightn't be the best idea either then seen as he's done a couple of gigs in the Forum and has another one coming up there soon.

Just wondering if it's going to be a 2 day event, will it be the case that you have to buy a weekend ticket or could you just buy a ticket for one of the days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

How many were at it on Saturday and why was the concert on in a stadium with only the carpark being used - puzzled -?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was thinking that. Surely
    A better option might be too build the stage in front of the new stand and seating would be the old stand with general standing being in the pitch?

My only thought would be that the RSC didn't want the running Track/ pitch getting walked on.

As far as I know it was going to cost a shed load to have the pitch covered - think someone mentioned €70,000 - so they decided not to cover the pitch, use the car park and then keep the moola they saved for next year.

Think it would be a good idea to have the stage facing away from the road though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 willers

Congratulations with Waterford Music festival. Now if your doing it next year I'd recommend you do a more rock band type festival as this will cater for a wider variety more mature type crowd. I'm sure this would be hugely successful and great for Waterford and the south east region.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Honestly whoever decided that the RSC was a good place to hold the event must have being smoking something espeically the way the setup was. You had people who paid way over the odds for a ticket watching people near PC world car park watching the gig for free.

Next year some advice I would give is to ask the Waterford GAA and local residents if its possible to have it in Walsh Park. Bigger stage, more people allowed equals better quality acts. Plus better security and not selling tickets on the day would be a starter for an event that has the potential to have a future in Waterford. Promoting local Irish acts would be more beneficial along some headliners who actually are signed up by a record label.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Walsh Park is actually a really good idea but I'd say a move away from residential areas would be best.

What about the carpark in that fecked up retail unit out by the six cross roads business park?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

ziedth wrote: »
    Walsh Park is actually a really good idea but I'd say a move away from residential areas would be best.

What about the carpark in that fecked up retail unit out by the six cross roads business park?

Park and ride system would be easy to curb parking etc..for Walsh Park - or even have it on the opposite side of the key with the Smirnoff thing last summer.

2 day thing you need a massive field not the RSC would be crazy to have a 2 day concert (RSC) espeically if people coming outside of the City wanted to camp. The potential is there, as my mate said there is fields out near B&Q etc..are would be ideal for a massive music festival. I am sure a certain person who owns the fields would be very interested.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Honestly whoever decided that the RSC was a good place to hold the event must have being smoking something espeically the way the setup was. You had people who paid way over the odds for a ticket watching people near PC world car park watching the gig for free.

Next year some advice I would give is to ask the Waterford GAA and local residents if its possible to have it in Walsh Park. Bigger stage, more people allowed equals better quality acts. Plus better security and not selling tickets on the day would be a starter for an event that has the potential to have a future in Waterford. Promoting local Irish acts would be more beneficial along some headliners who actually are signed up by a record label.

RSC is perfect we made the desicion a few weeks back to take it off the pitch to save money we realise there were people outside and we look to teh future to fix these probs . We promoted original Rudeboys and solar taxi who are irish . Why would u not sell tickets on the day that just baffles me ? Every event in Ireland has tickets up until the last minute if there are tickets left . Its different if it was sold out ?

Neill K

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

5ForKeeps wrote: »

Jaysus that sounds bitter!
    Not selling tickets on the day? Can't understand the logic of that at all....
    Truth is, everyone I know who was at it said it was brilliant. Lots of my friends (who were not looking forward to 50 cent) admitted he was the best act of the night and had the crowd rockin.
    Kinda annoyed that I didn't go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

just dont have it at the same weekend as spraoi next year

• Advertisement

It all depends on the acts . That was the date we were given to work around .We build around the act first . Roll on the biggest act act to hit waterford in 2012 yes u guessed it
    JUST WAIT AND SEE :)

It would be great to have something at the end of august...weather is always great then and it doesn't clash with much.

Oh...and say absolutely fcuking nothing until you have the acts booked lol

It would be great to have something at the end of august...weather is always great then and it doesn't clash with much.

There ya go...so good I said it twice #oops

Lol no one knew about faithless :)

FIDDY was a wikileak :)

Well there's a lot of good vibes with ya after you got this one over the line...so that should help with next years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnjoe123

what was the attendance inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

It might be a bit close to Electric Picnic depending on the line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broom

Having it the same weekend as Spraoi was perfect for us, we stayed in a hotel in Waterford for the weekend and were able to attend the Music Fest on the Saturday and then Spraoi on the Sunday, it made for the perfect weekend! Well done to all the organisers at the years event, I was very impressed in the way it was ran, especially as it was the first year!! 50cent were brilliant! Ticket prices were perfect this year, hopefully they'll remain the same next year as we'll definitely be back for next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

get daft punk and ill buy 6 tickets for myself

Advertisement