Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Think it would be a good idea to have the stage facing away from the road though.

I was actually surprised by how the stage was layed out when I walked past the RSC on Saturday night. Lots of money must have been lost with the free loaders standing outside watching in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I thought it was great that so many people turned up to get a free view of the concert. Now they know what it's all about and next year they'll be paying guests as there'll be no hope of a freebie.

As for only having rock music? That's nonsense. The majority of money is to be made from teenagers and early-twenties. If you have rock only, you're targetting an age-group that'll consist mostly of grown-ups with kids and mortgages. R&B, Pop, Dance with some Indie and Rock thrown in is the sensible option - as long as there's a big name for each genre.

FWIW, if you have Rihanna and/or David Guetta, a sell-out is guaranteed. Bryan Adams would be another good option as his concerts are great and he has no problem pulling the crowds to the O2 or Marley Park.

If you want to put on a real spectacle, how about Jean Michel Jarre?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Stage was re-located because of ticket sales, wasn't it? Made more sense to have it in the car park to make it look a bit bigger.

I cant think of anywhere in Waterford that would stop people looking in, and I personally thought the RSC was perfect.

The Guards cant force people to leave the surrounding area either really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

gscully wrote: »
    FWIW, if you have Rihanna and/or David Guetta, a sell-out is guaranteed. Bryan Adams would be another good option as his concerts are great and he has no problem pulling the crowds to the O2 or Marley Park.

Yeah, sell-out is the right word :P

dayshah wrote: »
    Yeah, sell-out is the right word :P

Well, it's a money-making business. Cult followings are never large enough.

Besides, I've quite a soft-spot for Rihanna...and a rock-hard spot too ;)

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The Guards cant force people to leave the surrounding area either really.

They could use the 'move along, nothing to see here' line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

gscully wrote: »

If you want to put on a real spectacle, how about Jean Michel Jarre?

Jean Michel Jarre would be amazing!! I never even thought of it, but you're right. And he always draws huge crowds to his concerts! Won't happen though. :(

Bryan Adams? You take that back! :eek: That's the last time we allow you to make suggestions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mick Electric

The real problem is that major acts like Rihanna, Bryan Adams, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford & Sons and practically everyone else mentioned above will not play an outdoor show for a small regional promoter in Ireland. They will all have strong relationships with MCD, Aiken Promotions or Pod Concerts, who between them do all the major festivals and O2 gigs in Dublin. As far as I know Tinie Tempah was a possibility for the RSC until MCD prevented it due to him playing at Oxegen, which is understandable. We will only get acts here that are off the radar of the big 3 promoters and these are usually ones who are on the way down like 50 Cent. Either that or you would need to be very lucky and get in on a new act before the others, and hope this act gets big very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'm curious, what were the transport arrangements for the acts?

Did they make use of Waterford Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If it's nothing but dance and hip-hop again the next year they do it I'll be pretty disappointed.

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Faithless flew into waterford that day and flew out to leeds that night. 50 cent flew into dublin. and the rest where already here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Teegan

Can I just say... Tinie Tempah is AMAZING live. Well worth it. And I'm usually into rock and metal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

get daft punk and ill buy 6 tickets for myself

+1 on that throw in the Prodigy and I would buy ten tickets. Basement jaxx are great at outdoor venues too. Moby seems good when I catch festival highlights on tv haven't seen him myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Basement jaxx always put on a great live show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

+1 on that throw in the Prodigy and I would buy ten tickets. Basement jaxx are great at outdoor venues too. Moby seems good when I catch festival highlights on tv haven't seen him myself though.

Moby is good live. Saw him a good few years ago at Slane. Half way through, Ardal O'Hanlon comes out and they sing my lovely horse - the acoustic version - bizarre...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,677 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

+1 on Basement Jaxx.

Maybe try and get Rodrigo y Gabriela hmmm hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Moby is good live. Saw him a good few years ago at Slane. Half way through, Ardal O'Hanlon comes out and they sing my lovely horse - the acoustic version - bizarre...

I'd say that was classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Despite my passion for metal and techno and spacey electronica I'd have to reckon that a real winner all round would be Radiohead.

Super live, always draw a big crowd, have worked with smaller promoters, likely to tour within next year anyway, fit in well with a broad spectrum of rock and electronica for supports, the advantages just go on and on :p

Yep, Radiohead I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

old gregg wrote: »
    Despite my passion for metal and techno and spacey electronica I'd have to reckon that a real winner all round would be Radiohead.

Super live, always draw a big crowd, have worked with smaller promoters, likely to tour within next year anyway, fit in well with a broad spectrum of rock and electronica for supports, the advantages just go on and on :p

Yep, Radiohead I reckon

Will never happen going by the type of acts they seem to be interested in but, if it did, I would forever love the organisers.

Radiohead on my doorstep - a man can dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

With the line-up this year, a lot of people i know either said 'na i dont like rap and rnb' or would say 'i dont mind rap and rnb but there'll be some scum at it so im not bothered going'.

Just get Madness... no matter what kind of music you like... you can always dance to Madness!
    So if you've come in off the street
    And you're beginning to feel the heat
    Well listen buster
    You better start to move your feet
    To the rockinest, rock-steady beat
    Of Madness
    One step beyond!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Selfishly I hope the main acts are from the RnB/Dance genre again next year.

Neill has said previously on this thread that Armin Van Buuren ticks all the boxes for him so fingers crossed on that one ;)

Either way, I'm sure it will be a success :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

tankbarry wrote: »
    Faithless flew into waterford that day and flew out to leeds that night. 50 cent flew into dublin. and the rest where already here

Venem also flew in to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broom

It would be amazing to see it turned into a fest that promotes Irish music.... Here would be an ideal Irish Line Up!!

Duke Special
    O Emperor
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Damien Rice
    The Blizzards
    Ryan Sheridan
    Imelda May
    The Coronas
    Snow Patrol
    U2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Who the fcuk is armin van buuren?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Moby is good live.

Moby is one of the great live shows. I have seen him twice and both sit in my top 10 shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

CHOOOOOONS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Well whatever about Rn'B and Hip Hop attracting scumbags etc, if Music Fest is all choons next year I'll be anywhere but there. Don't fancy getting knocked about by people who can't stand while trying to chewing the jaw off themselves tbh :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

Picture this. You're walking down the road of an estate. Theres a banged up fiat punto with 3 or 4 scumbags sitting on it drinking cans, smoking fags, intimidating people and generally being dickheads. There is some rave tunes blaring out of the stereo.

That is Armin Van Buuren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

shraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, talk about sweeping generalisations! Normal people like trance and techno too. I love it (and all other kinds of music too), yet I've never even smoked a cigarette, let alone take a drug or mug someone. :rolleyes:

Scumbags aren't the people they are because of music.

Advertisement