Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Who the fcuk is armin van buuren?!

We played a festival with him once. Met him in the artist's bar, no idea who he was! He was telling us how he just flew in from Morocco and he's off to Las Vegas in the morning...

I said "That's lovely... We're doing the Duncannon Sand Sculpting Festival next weekend", took a victory sip and fecked off.

His face was priceless.

True story, bro...!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just back in from taking heroin, drinking cans of Dutch Gold, and blasting Armin Van Buuren out of the car. Oh, I also killed two puppies and took a shit in an old ladies letterbox.

Anything else from the sweeping generalisation that I've missed out?

Van Buuren would certainly put on a good show and attract a big crowd. After all, that's what it's about surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Book Armin Van burren and his merry band of scobies and you sell fcuk all tickets and may as well rename it skangerfest 2012.

If I was involved...my first choices (not necessarily my tastes...purely for ticket sales etc...and also being realistic about who would actually come...) would be...

Daft Punk
    David Guetta
    Manic Street Preachers
    Pulp
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Boyzone or some ****
    Whoever won the X-factor...
    some small acts that cost about 1k....

Book Armin Van burren and his merry band of scobies and you sell fcuk all tickets and may as well rename it skangerfest 2012.

If I was involved...my first choices (not necessarily my tastes...purely for ticket sales etc...and also being realistic about who would actually come...) would be...

Daft Punk
    David Guetta
    Manic Street Preachers
    Pulp
    Ocean Colour Scene
    Boyzone or some ****
    Whoever won the X-factor...
    some small acts that cost about 1k....

Actually...scrap that...that's an awful line up....

What about this one...

Noel Gallagher
    Chemical Brothers
    Pulp
    Mumford and Sons
    Ocean Colour Scene

Ah fcuk...bit of a downer of a headliner....this is hard ya know! i can't even do it for a laugh...never mind for real!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

Actually...scrap that...that's an awful line up....

What about this one...

Noel Gallagher
    Chemical Brothers
    Pulp
    Mumford and Sons
    Ocean Colour Scene

Ah fcuk...bit of a downer of a headliner....this is hard ya know! i can't even do it for a laugh...never mind for real!

Couple of good ones there. Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk on the same bill would be some event but I'd take either of them. One act I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Florence and the Machine. They seem to be class live anytime I've seen them on tv. I can see where your coming from with Boyzone or Xfactor winner to have a bit of variety.

Here's who I'd like to see...

Florence & The Machine
    The Script
    The Coronas
    Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers (or both)
    O Emperor
    Damien Dempsey
    And maybe one or two local bands - Butterfly Band, Cassidy, Lebowski etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

abouttobebanned i like your shtyle (but ya forgot Madness ;) )

Come on now lets get real here. I quite enjoy armin van buuren and john o callaghan and all the trance boys as much as the next man. But we;re not in europe.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN IRELAND AND THE REST OF EUROPE

EUROPE:
    Armin Van Buuren Show. Lots of hunky tanned guys with six pacs giving girls the rides of their lives. Girls with big boobs and pretty faces. Everyone holding lasers, taking ecstacy and having the times of their lives. Any scumbag around is probably either irish or english

IRELAND
    Armin Van Buuren Show. Lots of skinhead guys with 1mm fringes sellotaped to their foreheads giving girls the frights of their lives. Girls with big arses and that rotten dirty piercing above their lip which makes them even uglier. Everyone holding cans of dutch gold, taking ecstacy and having the fights of their lives. Any non-scumbag around is probably gscully and his mates :)

You could sweep the floor with that statement but its not too unbelievable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Im purely thinking for ticket sales 2 different kinda lineups.....

1st Option

Pulp
    Stereophonics
    Mumford & Sons
    Madness
    The Blizzards
    The Script

2nd Option

Jason De rulo
    pink
    ne-yo
    jedward
    Lady - gaga
    smash hits
    bell x 1

I think either of them would fill 20,000 plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

tankbarry wrote: »

1st Option

Pulp
    Stereophonics
    Mumford & Sons
    Madness
    The Blizzards
    The Script

2nd Option

Jason De rulo
    pink
    ne-yo
    jedward
    Lady - gaga
    smash hits
    bell x 1

your first option is in a completely different league to your second! but very good choice. it would need to be a sell out in order to pay for all those acts though

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

kkdela6 wrote: »
    IRELAND
    Armin Van Buuren Show. Lots of skinhead guys with 1mm fringes sellotaped to their foreheads giving girls the frights of their lives. Girls with big arses and that rotten dirty piercing above their lip which makes them even uglier. Everyone holding cans of dutch gold, taking ecstacy and having the fights of their lives. Any non-scumbag around is probably gscully and his mates :)

Excellent description....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

your first option is in a completely different league to your second! but very good choice. it would need to be a sell out in order to pay for all those acts though

ye I was thinking they would need to be sell outs but I think 2 like that would sell out no probs.... I put 2 up to give the options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Dunno if it would be possible but My chemical romance is loved by alot of teenagers and have very loyal fans they would sell out easy. Any bit of rock and I will be straight there :D

I'll give y'all a laugh. Someone i'm currently trying to get to waterford...

Shaggy-musician70502.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

tankbarry wrote: »

1st Option

Pulp
    Stereophonics
    Mumford & Sons
    Madness
    The Blizzards
    The Script

2nd Option

Jason De rulo
    pink
    ne-yo
    jedward
    Lady - gaga
    smash hits
    bell x 1

The Blizzards have split up I'm afraid. Bressie is starting a solo tour soon so he might be one for the books. He's gone down the pop route so maybe he'd fit in on the 2nd line up. Good line ups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

deisedave wrote: »
    Dunno if it would be possible but My chemical romance is loved by alot of teenagers and have very loyal fans they would sell out easy. Any bit of rock and I will be straight there :D

This is the only thing that MCR deserve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Kasabian
    Mumford and Sons
    The Coronas
    Royseven/The Minutes

and a few local bands..

Surely that'd sell out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

This is the only thing that MCR deserve

They are not exactly my favourite band but there is lots and lots of teenagers that listen to them religiously. They would sell very well and because they are not at the height of their fame anymore should not cost to much to get too play.

If money was not an issue the foo fighters, red hot chilli peppers, Greenday or even The killers :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Here's an idea...... Find out who has sold out various venues around Ireland and go from there.

A lineup of 2/3 acts that have sold out the Olympia would be a very good start. An recent O2 sell-out would be too expensive I'm sure but you never know. Someone that has fallen off the radar might be cheap now even if they sold out the O2/point a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Spend a few thousand on reliable market research. Or spend time doing it yourself properly. Asking people on Facebook and forums will not give an accurate representation of what people will pay to see.

It's not rocket science though Adam..just a matter of spending money properly and getting the right mix. Look at the festivals across Europe and see who's available from the undercards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ that's a good point.

I really like the idea of bands that sell out the Olympia. Selling out the O2 might be a stretch too far for the second year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Trust is a huge issue imo. I think a lot of people genuinely believed the festival wouldn't happen because of the let downs in the leadup to it.

While saying Westlife are coming might help sales, it damages your reputation when it turns out to be false.

Cancelled stickers a very good PR stunt but doesn't really win you over I don't think for ticket sales. Was done to late anyway.

The festival was an unusual mix of bands, appealed to different audiences. Perhaps that doesn't work unless there on for longer and more of them. As in, an extra stage or two

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Sully wrote: »
    Trust is a huge issue imo. I think a lot of people genuinely believed the festival wouldn't happen because of the let downs in the leadup to it.

While saying Westlife are coming might help sales, it damages your reputation when it turns out to be false.

Cancelled stickers a very good PR stunt but doesn't really win you over I don't think for ticket sales. Was done to late anyway.

The festival was an unusual mix of bands, appealed to different audiences. Perhaps that doesn't work unless there on for longer and more of them. As in, an extra stage or two

You sure it was a PR stunt?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jimbojazz wrote: »
    You sure it was a PR stunt?

It sure seemed like it anyway, and it wasn't a bad idea but I think it was left a bit late. They got national coverage they didn't seem to get before. Its not exactly straightforward getting those stickers either. They were stuck up in one of the cabins in the VIP zone and I think there was another one with different text also.

Its not a bad idea to be fair to them, but was just a bit late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Waterford Music fest facebook we just found this page:D maybe they meant to say we set up this page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-The-Waterford-Music-Fest/250043275020270?sk=wall&filter=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sully I don't believe that they planned it at all. If they did, its one of the stupidest PR stunts I've ever seen in my opinion.

Have you got anything to back up that rumour? :P

Sully I don't believe that they planned it at all. If they did, its one of the stupidest PR stunts I've ever seen in my opinion.

Have you got anything to back up that rumour? :P

Why is it stupid? They got national coverage, partly anyway.

Its not a rumour anyway, though a few people suggested it on their Facebook page. Its just my own personal opinion having worked with printers for the past five years and seeing how this fiasco worked out. I just cant see anybody going to that much effort and being able to get such a small quantity printed.

Its a small part of a bigger festival anyway, and it was a great success (again, my opinion) which should be tried again next year with improvements. As Neill said, its a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnjoe123

dermo909 wrote: »
    Here's an idea...... Find out who has sold out various venues around Ireland and go from there.

Someone that has fallen off the radar might be cheap now even if they sold out the O2/point a few years ago.

Someone like 50 cent???

Some of the names being belted around here would seem to be way out of the league of a small one day event only in it's second year. Especially if we don't know exactly how much of a success this years one was.
    The likes of Daft Punk, Chilli Peppers and those. Get a grip lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

Someone like Tucan can cover a few bands mentioned here for a lot cheaper :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

My thinking on the acts that would be good (sales wise) and reachable are the ones who do that childline concert like Jason Deruilo, David Guetta and Cascada. The kinda acts that wouldn't put anyone off but still draw people in.

Also people who do ok in the Xfactor are always worth a go. They surely wouldn't be too expensive and would look good on a billboard.

I know everyone is saying to keep the acts Irish. While that is great in theory I just don't know how commercial it is. having said that, do get some Irish acts too.

Finally maybe a "celeb" to introduce the acts would look good on a sign too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

south wrote: »
    Someone like Tucan can cover a few bands mentioned here for a lot cheaper :D

:D
    That was amazing!

Advertisement