Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Music Festival - July 30th 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't think it's a scam and I guess regarding the match I guess it's not beyond possible that the stage could be started before/during it.

Hard to know. If it is a pisstake it's a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

I thinks its a fairly useless piss take tbh - what value would it serve?

Its falling far short of even a good piss take and to say its a great pisstake is wildly exaggerating the value of its pisstakedness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

blobbyblob wrote: »
    I thinks its a fairly useless piss take tbh - what value would it serve?

Its falling far short of even a good piss take and to say its a great pisstake is wildly exaggerating the value of its pisstakedness

+1

How in the name of God is it a great pisstake? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Should the word confirmed be removed from the title ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Correct me im wrong, but a festival is run over a few days? more like a one day concert
    dayshah wrote: »
    But can we at least have some information on who is organising it.

Surely they can announce that much.

well i dont believe this festival is real but

Slne is also a festival and only held over one day. but it is a festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Can't believe nobody has said:

BANDS OR GTFO!

yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Still no news :confused: not really keeping any credibility leaving it run this late , last week it was to be announced so something is wrong ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

My theory?

Someone was trying to organise a big event for Waterford and meant well. They had the venue booked, or even booked on merit. The announcement went out, but they didn't have a guaranteed act. An act was lined up, the act(s) agreed on merit to appear. Then talks started. And went nowhere. And talks have been going nowhere ever since because whatever act they had lined up will no longer confirm or fully agree to appear/perform. And now there is no backup, hence no updates, hence frustration and anger from those who's hopes were raised and left with nothing to confirm those hopes.

I'll personally remain optimistic till if and when the line up is announced. Outside of a main act (even if it is 50cent) I think they will need at least two acts that are relatively well known.

When 50 cent backed up eminem (in which he didn't show up to the concert that I went too) Cyprus Hill & Xzibit were the two other acts. IMHO they'd want to be on that level to justify €60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

My theory?

Someone was trying to organise a big event for Waterford and meant well. They had the venue booked, or even booked on merit. The announcement went out, but they didn't have a guaranteed act. An act was lined up, the act(s) agreed on merit to appear. Then talks started. And went nowhere. And talks have been going nowhere ever since because whatever act they had lined up will no longer confirm or fully agree to appear/perform. And now there is no backup, hence no updates, hence frustration and anger from those who's hopes were raised and left with nothing to confirm those hopes.

But if it were genuine we would at least know who is involved. If its genuine, there is zero reason why we don't know who is organising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The organizer has posted here allready from what I can see. His first name is Neill if thats right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

But if it were genuine we would at least know who is involved. If its genuine, there is zero reason why we don't know who is organising it.

Is it not the guy Big Slick Poker?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why didnt anyone just look up the owner of waterfordmusicfest.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

That's the part causing the most problems tbh.

They've since updated the awful looking site. With nothing.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Is it not the guy Big Slick Poker?
    Yes, but I think that is an alias. They are quite wily, these pranksters.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yes, but I think that is an alias. They are quite wily, these pranksters.
    :D

You mean your real name isn't day shah? And I'm not nkay1985? :confused:

My whole world has just been rocked.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Neil Kelly, very experienced in event management to be fair. That's why I'd be pretty sure it's legit.

To be fair, what might've happened was an oral agreement was reached and the lads felt confident enough to announce and then there was a delay on the written details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I think the organisers got so excited about the event that they announced it before everything was 100% in place. There was absolutely no need to hype the event up before everything was confirmed.

I think SCC Group are also involved in organising this event, coz one of their people was quoted in a local paper/radio about the event. As far as I know SCC do security for most of the clubs and pubs in the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Neil Kelly, very experienced in event management to be fair. That's why I'd be pretty sure it's legit.

To be fair, what might've happened was an oral agreement was reached and the lads felt confident enough to announce and then there was a delay on the written details.

I'm sure media speculation didn't help, maybe even this thread.

When gigs are in negotiation stages, last thing you want is the possible contenders name blasted all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Bit of an oxymoron that. No offence to the people involved but if that's the case, its pretty amateurish. Rule number one in event management is surely "Assumption is the mother of all fup ucks."

Wish 'em well none the less should it happen

• Advertisement

Would he have organised anything I might have heard of? Like is he involved in Spraoi or Tall Ships or anything?

Sully wrote: »
    I'm sure media speculation didn't help, maybe even this thread.

When gigs are in negotiation stages, last thing you want is the possible contenders name blasted all over the place!

If that's the case though maybe they should have kept it under their hats till everything was signed and sealed. Nobody would have speculated then like. I can't say I blame anyone for getting excited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would he have organised anything I might have heard of? Like is he involved in Spraoi or Tall Ships or anything?

Top of my head, but Neil has run a wide number of big poker events and also a poker club or two in Waterford (think one of his projects was one behind Revolution, if im not mistaken). He is co-owner of The Venue in Tramore which has seen some decent acts head to Tramore.

BIG-SLICK-POKER is Neil in case nobody noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

Jesus, is this post still running...........
    Until this Neil fella can get his act together (literally), I think we should give him time to come up with excuses why it was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Sully wrote: »
    Its not a windup. I know the people who are organising the event, I have known about this for a good while now and spoke with the council to try speed negotiations up.

What negotiatons were you trying to speed up back then?

What did the council say when you told them ye had no acts confirmed?

Did you show the council the totally bitchin' website?

When you said you'd "known" about this for a good while? What did you actually know? The acts? Or just that there might be a music festival happening in Waterford at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Anyone read the front page of Waterford Today. Acts confirmed for the Tall Ships weekend include O Emporer, Sharon Shannon, The Waterboys and a yet-to-be-announced major international act. Honestly, do the organisers of these events think we all suffer from premature ejaculation down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

gscully wrote: »
    Anyone read the front page of Waterford Today. Acts confirmed for the Tall Ships weekend include O Emporer, Sharon Shannon, The Waterboys and a yet-to-be-announced major international act. Honestly, do the organisers of these events think we all suffer from premature ejaculation down here?

I think this would be separtae from the above event

I think this would be separtae from the above event

Ya tall ships are around 2nd of July IIRC, still nice line up they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Balls. I'd like to see the Waterboys but wont be around for them.

• Advertisement

newportwex wrote: »
    What negotiatons were you trying to speed up back then?

What did the council say when you told them ye had no acts confirmed?

Did you show the council the totally bitchin' website?

When you said you'd "known" about this for a good while? What did you actually know? The acts? Or just that there might be a music festival happening in Waterford at some stage?

It would seem the act I was contacted about is not the act taking place, that was last year so I am not sure what happened there. But I have been told who the current act is around the time this thread appeared and thats all ill say because there has been enough speculation and overdrive id like to stay out of thanks :p

As for the website, thats up to the organisers who they hire to create all material and I am unsure if any restrictions on "good" would be employed by the council or act in question.

Advertisement