Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car repair gone wrong

• 20-02-2011 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi new to posting here but could use some advice.
    Have an old car which i took to an outlet of a chain of autorepairers. All i wanted to get originally done was the cars tracking which was off. However they told me that one of the steering tie rods was too worn but would be able to replace it at a reasonable cost and then do the tracking. This was done but straight away i knew there was something wrong with the steering. I didn't contact the shop straight away but rather planned to return the following week. However the day before i took the car back the steering got really bad and the car was barely driveable. I took the car back pointing out that the problem started with the original repair. After they examined it (4+ hours) they said there was a problem with the steering rack which needed to be replaced, and kind of admitted it was their fault. I pointed out that this only happened after their work the agreed to sort this out but i had to buy and supply a new steering rack. After getting the new rack they had the car for another 3 days (guy working on it on a day off then at another outlet??) Finally they rang saying that as they were putting in the steering rack (another 4-5+ hours) that they had to replace part of the exhaust also!!!!
    Sorry bout long winded explanation but my question is what should i pay for? Do i have to pay for labour to repair their original mistake and the subsequent additional repairs to get it fixed? Due to pick up car tomorrow and want to know where i stand beforehand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bump from thread position 85. Hope someone will have advice for you before you go in.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

If they broke a part they should have to pay for it. Maybe the steering rack was already on the way out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Find someone you know who properly knows cars. Bring them with you.

You need someone who's able to spot and challenge waffle or you're going to get bamboozled.

barriew wrote: »
    I took the car back pointing out that the problem started with the original repair. After they examined it (4+ hours) they said there was a problem with the steering rack which needed to be replaced, and kind of admitted it was their fault. I pointed out that this only happened after their work the agreed to sort this out but i had to buy and supply a new steering rack. After getting the new rack they had the car for another 3 days (guy working on it on a day off then at another outlet??) Finally they rang saying that as they were putting in the steering rack (another 4-5+ hours) that they had to replace part of the exhaust also!!!!
    Sorry bout long winded explanation but my question is what should i pay for? Do i have to pay for labour to repair their original mistake and the subsequent additional repairs to get it fixed? Due to pick up car tomorrow and want to know where i stand beforehand.

You have supplied the rack, for whatever reason they have admiitted you needed a rack due to them (can't fathom what they did but facts are facts) so you owe them f all for installing the rack. If the exhaust they replaced was due to installing the rack ask them why did it need replacing. If it was any other part of the exhaust not related to the rack (ie middle or back box) tell them they should have asked you did you want it replaced, that you didn't and tell them to put back on your old one and give them f all money.

Advertisement