Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about what might happen to your dog

• 20-02-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

if you die ?

Really good idea from the Dogs Trust especially for people who live alone, elderly etc.

Canine Care Card

"Many people worry about what would happen if they were to die before their dog. Thankfully, Dogs Trust is on hand to ease this worry. The Canine Care Card scheme is a fantastic free service that gives you peace of mind, knowing that Dogs Trust will care for your dogs if you pass away before they do."

http://www.dogstrust.ie/cccard/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Thank you so much for that. It is something I often worry about.

Hopefully most of us will outlive 99% of our dogs but it is definitely something to consider.

I will be following that up so thanks.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Great idea, its a big worry for some older people. (And accident prone people like me):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

This is something that is in the back of my mind. I know my daughter would be fine as my brother and his wife have agreed to take her, but I do worry about my doggies.

I'm living with my dad at the mo but I'm not sure he'd be up for taking care of my 2 as well as his. My 2 guys are very high maintenance, high energy dogs and he's nearly 70. He is not up to the walks and I don't think he could cope with taking care of 4 dogs as well as his parrot... on the other hand he adores them and it would devestate him even further if they were taken from him also.

So for now I'm going to continue to bury my head in the sand in the sure and simple hope that it won't ever come to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

If i die I know my boyfriend wouldn't be able to care for my dog on his own (we live together) so my dog would go back to the breeder as it would be the best place for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That's a really great idea and I have never thought about it before! I know my family/my boyfriends family would try their best to take in the dogs but at the end of the day it all depends on money :( I will be getting one those cards :D

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would recommend that anyone joining this scheme puts a tag on the dog's collar. If something were to happen the Guards/Ambulance could call the dog warden. I have suggested to the DT that they produce some distinctive collar tags.

The advantages of registering are that the DT will have a record of your dogs & information about them to make their stay & rehoming easier.

If a family member or friend ends up with your dog it won't matter that it is registered with the DT as a back up.

Now I wonder what happens if a rescue registers a load of dogs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

This is a great idea. Do you know are there similar services for other pets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

This is awesome idea! Must read up bit more about it

Advertisement