Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft beers in Mullingar

Options
  • 20-02-2011 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any pubs in Mullingar that sell craft/import beers instead of the usual stuff. I know The Old Stand off-licence has a great selection but I'd like to try some when I'm out and not just at home. Cheeers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Sorry, I can't help in relation to Mullingar.

Athlone, unfortunately, is something of a craft beer desert. However I was in the O'Brien's off license in Athlone last week and noticed that its beer selection has improved of late. They're now stocking an expanded range of craft beers from the Brooklyn Brewery, Dungarvan Brewing Company and BrewDog (Scottish brewery).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

Nice to see a thread where someone is looking for craft beers in town. Unfortunately you are out of luck.

Some of the pubs will have a wider selection of beers: Dannys, Dalys, Kerrigans, Old Stand and a couple of others also but in general you will not find a great variety of imported beer or even craft beer in town. I guess the town seems to be a bit small for it.:(

The Old Stand used to have a fridge dedicated to craft/imported beers but chatting to Paul(one of the barmen there) recently and he said that it was canned a while back as they weren't shifting enough of the beer to make it worth keeping regular stock.

It's a real pity as the few occasions I do make it out these days I am stuck with the usual selection of Guinness, Smithwicks, Euro Lagers, Bulmers and maybe Erdinger/Paulaner on draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Thanks for that. Dont get out too much myself and its hard when its just the usual beers. At least Dalys has Erdinger on tap which is something. Shame The Old Stand dont keep some in the fridge as their selection in the off-licence is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

coillcam wrote: »
    Nice to see a thread where someone is looking for craft beers in town. Unfortunately you are out of luck.

Some of the pubs will have a wider selection of beers: Dannys, Dalys, Kerrigans, Old Stand and a couple of others also but in general you will not find a great variety of imported beer or even craft beer in town. I guess the town seems to be a bit small for it.:(

The Old Stand used to have a fridge dedicated to craft/imported beers but chatting to Paul(one of the barmen there) recently and he said that it was canned a while back as they weren't shifting enough of the beer to make it worth keeping regular stock.

It's a real pity as the few occasions I do make it out these days I am stuck with the usual selection of Guinness, Smithwicks, Euro Lagers, Bulmers and maybe Erdinger/Paulaner on draft.

I see a gap in the market here, and so has Richard Graces bar in Athlone they have a good selection of international beers in there bar, and regularly run specials to promote them . I know there not Irish craft beers but it's good to have a multiple choices when you go for a few

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Danny Byrnes sometimes have some sort of special beer, though perhaps craft is the wrong word for them.

The Old Stand is your only bet. They don't keep any decent beer in the fridge but they do, or at least did keep them stuck under the shelf. You just had to ask and the bartender would pull them all out and let you pick one.

I do not get to go out in Mullingar as it's a €20+ taxi ride each way and just not worth it for a 10 minute drive.

It is much cheaper for me to go to Dublin than Mullingar.

Someone needs to get in a Galway Hooker tap. I can see that going down very well in Danny Byrnes as long as they promote it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Was up in Dublin last night and had a few pints of Galway Hooker in the Palace Bar. Dannys would do well to stock it as its a great pint

Dalys now have Galway Hooker on draught and bottles. Have a few other bottled beers including Sam Adams. Hopefully this is the start in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

I see a gap in the market here, and so has Richard Graces bar in Athlone they have a good selection of international beers in there bar, and regularly run specials to promote them . I know there not Irish craft beers but it's good to have a multiple choices when you go for a few
    Maguires ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Connacht St, Athlone) has also excellent se[/FONT]lection of bottled beers available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

kaltz wrote: »
    Dalys now have Galway Hooker on draught and bottles. Have a few other bottled beers including Sam Adams. Hopefully this is the start in the town.

god bless Daly's.
    Daly's also have an ale on tap by Trouble Brewing company from Kildare. It's nice!
    plus a growing selection of other bottled beers and ales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    god bless Daly's.
    Daly's also have an ale on tap by Trouble Brewing company from Kildare. It's nice!
    plus a growing selection of other bottled beers and ales

Okay, I'm gonna sound like a shill but Daly's deserve credit imo. They were doing the Trouble Brewing beer for €2.50 a pint and it flew out the door and they are getting a new craft beer on tap every month as well as the increased selection of bottled beer mentioned by nice-guy80. Also Galway Hooker is on tap full time and they have introduced a loyalty card system (buy 3 beers get the 4th free - selected days I think.). Can easily see myself enjoying my socializing here over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I cycled from Rochfortbridge to Mullingar the other week and spent a few hours reading and drinking in Dalys. I started off with a Hooker and then had three Trouble Ór. The fourth one was free!

Fantastic place I thought. If only there was a decent public transport system around Mullingar. When I got out of the place it was dark so I had to cycle to Tesco and buy lights and then cycle home.
    I can see myself doing more of this in the longer daylight months.

Advertisement