Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which provider to go with - UPC or VodaFone

• 20-02-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi
    With Eircom proposed changes in charges and terms and conditions thinking of moving from them for home phone and bb

Am split between the following as as they seem to meet my needs.

45 per month including local and national calls at any time and 200 mins to vodafone nums 8Mb down / 512kb up, 40 GB Usage allowance and wireless router for free if ordered on line)

and

43 per month + 7.75 dont need tv package including local and national calls at any time, no mobile calls (not really import to me), 400 free international minutes per month to fixed landline numbers e.g. in US and UK, 10Mb down / 1Mb up Usage of 120 GB per month and
    Wi-fi Router Provided not provided by default but Wireless router available for €49.99 if required.

However im split as to which one to go with as reviewing posts and threads and reviews on various forums its seems that both providers are getting negative and positive feedback in equal measure in terms of reliability, customer support, speeds. Wireless router supplied etc

I am totally confused as to which one to go with - as once go in with one am tied in for 12 months and then if they prove to be probleatic i stuck

Any people using these packages from these providers - thoughts/feedback - which one would be best option to go with

Will my wireless router from eircom work if i go with UPC
    I am based in greater north kildare area

Feedback/Thoughts/Suggestions/Advise
    Thanks
    progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Without even blinking, UPC!

The Vodafone At Home product is not getting great reviews. See their own forum on boards.ie before you consider it.

If you're not going with cable, see if you can get Smart Telecom, Magnet, or even Eircom NGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I presume you are cabled for UPC. If so, go with UPC, as Solair has advised. If you are not cabled for UPC services, you cannot go with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Just ditched Vodafone for UPC. If you are after hi-speed Broadband, it's not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 worktop

a little advice if someone mentions digiweb run a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coxbri4955

Not tech minded. Presently I have a Vodaphone Broadband package and a seperate deal with Sky. I am looking to move to €66 a month UPC package plus Sky Movies/Sport. Does anyone know if this is a seamless operation or could I be without TV for awhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Passport1 wrote: »
    Feedback/Thoughts/Suggestions/Advise
    Thanks

UPC, before any other broadband provider in the country. Their broadband is outstanding. Some people have problems with it, but I would say that these customers are outweighed many times over by the happy customers. As a heavy internet user, I cannot recommend them enough. They also offer loyalty deals and more. Also, their upcoming service improvements should go down a treat.

Seriously, don't think- just go with them.

coxbri4955 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is a seamless operation or could I be without TV for awhile

If you have your timings right, there will be no disruption.
    When you go for UPC, you can narrow down a time of installation- so the services are more than likely up and running there and then. Just make sure that the dates of Sky's cancellation notice and the installation of UPC correlate correctly, to avoid disruption to your service.

In the meantime, if there were an issue, and you had some sort of broadband (even tethering from a phone, if you were really stuck) you could hook the laptop to the TV and stream filmon.tv or aertv.ie.

Best of luck to you both.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Although strictly speaking this isn't off topic for here, I'm going to move it to Broadband because I think its more appropriate since you don't really appear to be after TV (which we mainly discuss here) and you're likely to get better and more comprehensive replies regarding the internet element there.

Advertisement