Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to look like a darts player

Options
  • 20-02-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

My current stats are - 21 year old male, 6' 2, 16 stone. I'm primarily looking to increase my strength and get a bit leaner. No real interest in how I look to be honest.

I currently log everything I do when I train, but notepad after notepad just goes missing - and I'm usually the only one that sees my log and the trainers in my gym are useless for advice so I figure throwing one up here may be of some use.

Routine is currently:

Day 1
    Back Squats
    Front Squats
    Calf Raises
    Leg Extensions

Day 2
    Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Skull Crushers
    Tricep Pushdowns

Day 3
    Deadlift
    Hyper-extensions
    Reverse Lunges
    Kettlebell swings

Day 4
    Standing push press
    Powerclean
    Lat pulldown
    Bent rows

Looking to move out of my current gym in July as my membership is up, so I'd like to try and get a decent increase in the above lifts by then. I'd ideally like to move on to somewhere where there's people that are able to give me decent advice on my form and lifts as where I am now it's like getting blood from a stone. Day 1 is tomorrow morning so I'll be putting in the results of that.

Anyone that bothers to read this and wants to input something, please do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Got called into work because of an emergency at 6.30am as I was on the bus to the gym. Gonna start Day 1 in the morning - at least I got the horrible Monday morning start out of the way :rolleyes:

Back Squats
    1st - 55kg x 12
    2nd - 75kg x 8
    3rd - 85kg x 6
    4th - 95kg x 4
    5th - 110 x 4
    6th - 120 x 3
    7th - 120 x 3

Front Squats
    1st - 20kg x 12
    2nd - 40kg x 8
    3rd - 40kg x 8
    4th - 40kg x 8
    5th - 40kg x 8

Calf Raises
    1st - 90kg x 10
    2nd - 150kg x 15
    3rd - 150kg x 15
    4th - 150kg x 15
    5th - 150kg x 15

Leg Extensions
    1st - 50kg x 12
    2nd - 65kg x 9
    3rd - 65kg x 9
    4th - 65kg x 9
    5th - 65kg x 6

Back Squats
    Wasn't my best this morning. With the back squats I was finding myself to be incredibly stiff which led me to get worried about the depth of my squat so I was trying to go lower and lower but had that voice in the back of my head going "Jesus! Don't get stuck or you'll wreck yourself". Need to stretch more before I squat - definitely. Although I reckon it's because I've left it about a week since I've squatted, my body is just thinking "WTF is this?".

Front Squats
    My wrists were in bits this morning on the front squats, definitely need to keep working on getting my elbows higher and have just the bar resting on my fingers. It's just natural instinct to push against the bar with the tips of my fingers - not much I can do about it. Didn't want to up the weight while front squatting as I just wanted to sort my technique out before I do anything stupid.

Calf Raises
    Actually thought my legs were on fire after these. Need to up the weight I think as I got these out too easy.

Leg Extensions
    Horrific throughout. Best feeling ever when each set is finished though. Last set was horrible, I could just about get 6 and no way was there any more left in the tank. Got up and went to stretch.

I reckon this will hurt in the morning.

Bench press
    1st - 20kg x 12
    2nd - 25kg x 8
    3rd - 35kg x 6
    4th - 45 x 4
    5th - 55 x 3
    6th - 55 x 3
    7th - 60 x 2

Closegrip Bench
    1st - 20kg x 6
    2nd - 30kg x 6
    3rd - 35kg x 5
    4th - 35kg x 5
    5th -35kg x 5

Skullcrushers
    1st - 20kg x 6
    2nd - 20kg x 6
    3rd - 20kg x 5
    4th - 20kg x 5

Tricep Pushdowns
    1st - 54kg x 10
    2nd - 62kg x 8
    3rd - 62kg x 8
    4th - 62kg x 7
    5th - 62kg x 7

My right shoulder is giving me a bit of hassle today on the bench so I kept it to realistic weights, rather than going mental and wrecking myself. Definitely need to work on my benching technique and close-grip bench as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Hidee Ho. How are you finding doing sets of front and back squats after another? Do you do them in that particular order all the time?

Yep, I do them the same days I back squat. I find it easier to front squat than back squat (even though the bar position sucks - this will improve) and I find myself being able to get more depth with it compared to the back. Possibly because I'm not moving as much weight.

I think my body sees it as a relief that it's not as much weight, so I'm able to go straight into them (after taking about 3 minutes to rest) right after back squats.

I used to leg press right after back squats - bad idea. I completely obliterated my legs and my knees felt like they were made of chalk for about a week. I then tried front squats and found it much easier and it significantly increased my leg strength and core.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, good to know the reasoning. Yeah I know all about that, its like my body goes "thank f*ck the weight is lighter", my forearms especially.

Deadlifts
    1 - 75kg x 12
    2 - 105 x 10
    3 - 125 x 10
    4 - 140 x 6
    5 - 170 x 6*

Reverse Lunges w/40kg barbell
    4 sets of 10

Hyperextensions
    1st - 10 reps - Bodyweight
    2nd - 8 reps - 20kg
    3rd - 8 reps - 20kg
    4th - 8 reps - 20kg
    5th - 6 reps - 20kg

Kettlebells Swings - 24kg KB
    4 sets of 20 swings each arm.

*I haven't deadlifted in about 4 weeks due to work and college messing up my schedule. I try get my squat in at least as it's such a bastard of an exercise. I've been doing kettlebell swings and single legged deadlifts at home on weekends to hopefully make up for my lack of deadlifting. Sure enough when I started lifting this morning I had underestimated how much weight was on the bar. Turns out I had actually put on extra kgs as the plates I was using were the 25s and not the 20's. So I upped the weight thinking nothing of it. Ended up getting to 140 and thinking "Jesus, this 120 feels mental heavy, but the reps are coming out". Upped the weight (to what I thought was 150) and after the reps my hands were just wrecked. Sat down and tried counting the plates. Sure enough I had messed up the numbers, but managed to lift 170 more reps than I could a few weeks back.

Usually the rep structure is:

1st - 12 reps
    2nd - 10 reps
    3rd - 10 reps
    4th - 8 reps
    5th - 6 reps
    6th - 3 reps
    7th - 3 reps
    8th - 3 reps

Kinda chuffed but also disappointed I didn't get the reps in. Better luck next time I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Playing fatigue your erectors as much as possible before working up to triples isn't a great idea imo.

You reckon I should keep it at around a lower rep count on the first few? Around 6 or 7? The high rep rate at a light weight makes for a great warm up to the heavier sets imo.

Didn't get a chance to do any training yesterday or on saturday. So Day 4 is out the window.

This morning it's been:

Back squats
    1st -60kg x 12
    2nd -75kg x 8
    3rd -85kg x 6
    4th -100kg x 4
    5th -120kg x 3
    6th -130kg x 3
    7th -135kg x 2

Front squats
    1st -40kg x 8
    2nd-55kg x 6
    3rd-65kg x 4
    4th-65kg x 4

Calf Raises
    1st - 95kg x 20
    2nd - 155kg x 15
    3rd - 155kg x 15
    4th - 155kg x 15
    5th - 155kg x 12

Leg Extensions
    1st - 60kg x 12
    2nd - 70kg x 9
    3rd - 70kg x 9
    4th - 70kg x 7 (DIED)

Russian Twists
    4 sets of 20 (ten each side) with a 20kg kettlebell.

Back Squats
    Bombed on the last set. Didn't have the pins on the rack so there was quite a *DUNK*. Nearly took the feet off of the lad walking past the rack. Wasn't getting enough depth on them, but felt comfortable with the weight on my shoulders. I think just trying to hold at the bottom with 125kg for about 2 sets may loosen me up.

Front Squats
    I've been trying different wrist flexibility exercises in the past week and it seems to be paying off. Still kinda getting that curl on my fingers, but that will pass in time. The weight felt really good today and I could definitely feel the muscles around my stomach working. Not feeling as much stiffness in my back and decided it was ok to go deeper.

Leg Extensions
    What a horrific exercise. The less said the better.

Russian Twists
    Ow. Definitely need to keep these in the routine. I barely work my core other than deadlifts, squats and hyperextensions, so I'll add these in on deadlift days too.

• Advertisement

Bench Press
    1st - 25kg x 12
    2nd - 30kg x 8
    3rd - 37.5kg x 6
    4th - 47.5kg x 4
    5th - 55kg x 4
    6th - 55kg x 4
    7th - 62.5kg x 2

Close Grip Bench
    1st - 35kg x 6
    2nd - 35kg x 6
    3rd - 35kg x 5
    4th - 35kg x 5
    5th - 35kg x 5

Skull Crushers
    1st - 22.5 x 8
    2nd -22.5 x 8
    3rd - 22.5 x 7
    4th - 22.5 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns
    1st - 59kg x 10
    2nd - 62kg x 8
    3rd - 62kg x 8
    4th - 62kg x 7
    5th - 62kg x 7 (arms died)

Bench
    Well chuffed with this! It didn't suck too much on the shoulders as it did last week so I figure my widened grip is definitely a key element there and just driving up with as much force as possible. Hopefully I can make a similar gain on the lift next week, but don't want to jinx it.

Close Grip
    Definitely putting too much strain on my shoulders so I'm going to have to either do it on an E-Z bar or just try and adjust my shoulders during the press. Happy with what I'm pressing anyway, it's a decent weight considering my upper body is pretty weak.

Skull Crushers
    Horrific - but in a good way. Happy with what I'm pressing and I'll hopefully up it by 2.5 next week. It all depends on how I'm feeling on the day I guess.

Tricep Pushdowns
    That was a battle. Think I'll have to go easy on the first set as I'm just tiring myself out by the end.

Just going to throw in my diet the past few weeks.

8:30am - Protein Drink (ON Whey (2-3 scoops), 1 scoop L-Leucine, 1 scoop BCAA, 1 scoop glutamine), Bran Flakes, small pot of yogurt.

9.30am - Lucozade Sport

11:30am - Small chicken wrap (1 chicken fillet, bbq sauce, lettuce)

1:30pm - Usually one of these: Meatballs with either sauteed potatoes or salad. Chicken and pasta or chicken and rice. Protein shake (ON Whey - 2 scoops).

4pm - Small chicken wrap (1 chicken fillet, bbq sauce, lettuce)

6.30pm - Small chicken wrap (1 chicken fillet, bbq sauce, lettuce)

9pm - Dinner (Anything from pasta, stew, chicken kiev etc). Protein drink (2 scoops ON Whey & Glutamine) before bed.

Dathai wrote: »
    Close Grip
    Definitely putting too much strain on my shoulders so I'm going to have to either do it on an E-Z bar or just try and adjust my shoulders during the press. Happy with what I'm pressing anyway, it's a decent weight considering my upper body is pretty weak.

I'm the opposite, anything wider than a close grip and my shoulder starts nagging me. You sure like your chicken wraps :)

Everyone's different I guess!

Yeah, the chicken wraps are awesome. So handy to have around, especially when you're surrounded by chocolate and other sweets all day!

Woke up this morning and my stomach and chest were killing me. Could barely turn over to turn off my alarm. I reckon it's DOMS from the squats, russian twists and then the aftermath of yesterday. Rest day ftw.

Yesterday:

Power Cleans
    4 sets of 8 @ 40kg

Standing Push Press
    1st - Bar x 10
    2nd - 20kg x 8
    3rd - 35kg x 6
    4th - 42.5 x 4
    5th - 42.5 x 4

Upright rows
    4 sets 8 reps @ 35kg

Bent Rows
    1st - 30kg x 8
    2nd - 45kg x 8
    3rd - 50kg x 6
    4th - 50kg x 6
    5th - 50kg x 6

Lat Pulldowns
    1st - No.9 x 8
    2nd - No.11 x 6
    3rd - No.11 x 6
    4th - No.11 x 6
    5th - No.11 x 4

Power cleans
    Got some decent pointers from an instructor (actually, the only decent one in there). Need to work on my jump / pushing and getting under the bar. Been watching this quite a bit also http://vimeo.com/6695215 . His video on the front squat is also essential http://vimeo.com/2859165 . I'll stick at this weight for the time being as I'm really just doing technique.

Upright Rows
    Pretty awesome burn from them. Glad I've gotten them in as they'll definitely help my clean and my shoulder work. Used an E-Z bar as the 7fter seemed a bit overkill.

Bent Rows
    Finding myself using my back too much on these. I keep lifting up when I should be pulling with my arms.

Standing Push Press
    Finding my left arm is stronger at the push than my right (which is odd as I'm right handed). The bar goes up no problem on the left side, but the right side is still a bit lower. It gets there in the end, but it's definitely something I'll have to work on.

Threw in some Russian twists when stretching at the end. 4 sets of 20 (10 each side) with a 20kg Kettlebell.

Got braces yesterday, so trying to sleep and eat is a bitch. Didn't bother going lifting today as I'm up all night in bits. It'll get better!
    Deadlifts in the morning - bit of inspiration (although it's never gonna happen!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av2GrThth7c

Trained yesterday and it was pretty daycent. Didn't have to rush anything so I spent maybe 90mins to 2 hours getting my stuff in (including warmups, rest periods and stretching at the end)

Deadlifts
    1st 75kg x 8
    2nd 95kg x 7
    3rd 110 x 6
    4th 140 x 4
    5th 160 x 4
    6th 170 x 3
    7th 170 x 3
    8th 172.5 x 2

Hyperextensions
    1st Bodyweight x 10
    2nd 25kg x 6
    3rd 25kg x 8
    4th 25kg x 8
    5h 25kg x 5

Stiff Legged Deadlifts
    1st 60kg x 8
    2nd 75kg x 6
    3rd 75kg x 6
    4th 75kg x 5

Reverse Lunges w/ 42.5kg barbell
    1st 10 reps each leg
    2nd 9 reps each leg
    3rd 8 reps each leg
    4th 9 reps each leg

Deadly session, was knackered afterwards. Glad I could head straight home, eat and sleep. I attribute the latter to my functioning legs and back today,

Deadlifts
    Kept the reps below 10 so I didn't tire my back out. Keeping the reps above 6 reps on the first few gave me a decent warm up to the heavier sets. Tried my luck with the last two sets and managed to pull them. Was aiming for 3 reps on the last set but my legs were having none of it, nor was my grip. Gonna try for 2 sets of 3 @ 172.5 next week and see how I get on.

Took a 5 minute rest and started the hyperextensions - pretty tough since I upped the weight, but I took each rep as easy as I could considering I had been deadlifting. Hopefully I can keep the reps at a minimum of 8 for next week.

5 minute rest.

Stiff Legged Deads
    Decided to throw these in as my legs and back felt good after deadlifting and the hypers, I wanted to try and get in a couple of sets at a low weight. I kept the bar close to my body throughout. Really felt my hamstrings tug, then brought it back. Not sure whether to keep these in or not, but I'll see depending on the day.

10 minute rest

Reverse Lunges

Happy enough with these, although my balance is shocking. Kept the pins high enough just in case I lost my balance. I'll stick at 40kg or so until my balance improves.

Threw in some Russian Twists with a 20kg kettlebell - 4 sets of 20 (ten each side).

Eating is so difficult with braces. I tried eating a chicken burrito yesterday and it took me about 25 minutes. Managed to cut it up and just by pass the pain knowing how good it was.

I remember braces, good luck. :pac:

Do you use a BB or DBs for bent rows?

Haha! Thanks, good thing gainer and protein shakes go down easy :D

I use a barbell. But I'll probably try T-Bar rows if I keep lifting my back.

Back Squat
    1st - 62.5kg x 10
    2nd - 75kg x 8
    3rd - 85kg x 7
    4th - 105kg x 4
    5th - 120kg x 4
    6th - 130kg x 3
    7th - 130kg x 3

Front Squats
    1st - bar x 10
    2nd - 40kg x 8
    3rd - 57.5kg x 4
    4th - 57.5kg x 5
    5th - 57.5kg x 5

Calf Raises
    1st - 90kg x 20
    2nd - 110kg x 20
    3rd - 160kg x 15
    4th - 160kg x 15
    5th - 160kg x 14

Leg Extension
    No Attempt - Dead

Russian Twists
    5 sets of 20 (ten each side) with 10kg medicine ball.

Back Squats
    Pretty poor day at these, although I was getting a bit deeper on the 130's. I can move the weight no problem, just getting below parallel is a nightmare. I'm thinking of doing a few sets of light back squats at a high rep after training heavy next week. Just to drive the stiffness out and to hit the muscles harder.

Front Squats
    Fingers kept slipping on these and was getting horrible pains in my wrists. Need to do more wrist flexibility.

Legs were just dead after the first three. Just didn't think it'd be a good idea to jump onto the leg extensions and do myself damage.

It feels like I've got bricks stuck to my arse, hamstrings and quads at the moment. My back is a bit sore, but I think it's just DOMS after all the deads on saturday. Rested pretty well over the weekend so I think because I'm back in work today and back training it's starting to hurt. Hopefully it's not anything I should be concerned about.

Epic feed today. Meatballs and a chicken breast with sauteed potatoes for lunch along with my usual throughout the day. Going to go home and eat my weight in glutamine, bcaas and animal flex.

• Advertisement

Pretty alright day today - not feeling too bad (thank you glutamine).

Bench Press
    1st - 27.5kg x 12
    2nd -32.5kg x 8
    3rd - 37.5 x 6
    4th - 47.5 x 5
    5th - 57.5 x 3
    6th - 57.5 x 4
    7th - 62.5 x 3

Close Grip
    1st - 35kg x 6
    2nd - 35kg x 6
    3rd - 35kg x 6
    4th - 35kg x 6
    5th - 35kg x 6
    6th - 35kg x 4

Skull Crushers
    1st - 22.5 x 8
    2nd - 22.5 x 8
    3rd - 22.5 x 8
    4th - 22.5 x 8

Tricep Pushdowns
    1st - 59kg x 10
    2nd - 62kg x 8
    3rd - 62kg x 8
    4th - 62kg x 8
    5th - 62kg x 8
    6th - 62kg x 5

Pretty happy overall. I wanted to get each rep done on the skull crushers and the push downs. I added in the extra set on the close grip and push downs as it felt easy enough through each set. Just wanted to make sure that next week I'll be able to up the weight. Managed to up the weight on some of the sets while benching, so that's a bonus. Hopefully I can hit 65 for 3 next week.

Power Cleans
    2 sets of 8 @ 40kg
    1 x 6 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 75kg
    1 x 3 @ 75kg
    1 x 1 @ 75kg

Upright Rows
    5 sets 6 reps @ 45kg

T-Bar Rows
    1st - 45kg x 8
    2nd - 50kg x 7
    3rd - 55kg x 6
    4th - 55kg x 6
    5th - 55kg x 5

Didn't get much time to train today as I was in the gym a bit late, so I'll get the rest of the stuff done on Friday, then hit deads and back work on Saturday.

Power clean
    Sorted. Been watching vids and practicing with the bar and light weight for a while now. Just need to sort out my jump and I'm grand. Can move the weight no problem, just trying to get as much power under me as possible is the key. Need to work on my traps. Epic traps, epic lifts. I'll probably stick with around 60kg on the bar as I don't want to wreck myself.

Standing Push Press
    1st - Bar x 10
    2nd - 22.5 x 8
    3rd - 37.5 x 7
    4th - 45 x 5
    5th - 45 x 4
    6th - 50 x 3

Lat Pulldowns
    1st - No.9 x 8
    2nd - No.11 x 8
    3rd - No.11 x 8
    4th - No.11 x 7
    5th - No.11 x7

Seated Shoulder Press (Dumbells)
    1st - 30kg x 8
    2nd - 32.5 x 8
    3rd - 32.5 x 7
    4th - 32.5 x 7
    5th - 32.5 x 6

Dumbell Flys
    4 sets of 10 @ 14kg

Best session in a good long while today. Didn't get all the assistance stuff done, but I got some decent lifts in.

Deadlifts
    1st 75kg x 8
    2nd 97.5 x 7
    3rd 110 x 6
    4th 142.5 x 4
    5th 160 x 4
    6th 170 x 4
    7th 172.5 x 4
    8th 175 x 3
    9th 175 x 2

Hyperextensions
    1st Bodyweight x 10
    2nd 25kg x 8
    3rd 25kg x 8
    4th 25kg x 8
    5th 25kg x 7

Russian Twists
    5 sets of 20(10 each side) with a 20kg Kettlebell.

Standing ab crunches (with rope + pully)
    4 sets of 10 @ 40kg (KILLED)

My right knee wasn't feeling the best today, so I didn't do the reverse lunges with the barbell. Just feels a bit stiff, so I don't want to hurt myself after a pretty tiring session. Skipped the stiff legged deadlifts as my legs, grip and back definitely wouldn't have taken it.

Deadlifts
    Everything about them felt great today. Dunno what it was, but the weight felt so good. I took each set about 2 - 4 minutes apart as I knew I wanted to pull big today. I could probably do without doing so many sets, but I don't want to go straight in pulling big weights as a warm up. My grip was failing on the last 2 sets, so I'll need to work on that for next week. Other than that, it felt great. I know I can definitely pull a good bit more, but I'm not going to chance anything for the next few weeks. I reckon I'll be over 200 in about 6-8 weeks if I stay injury free.

Going to keep the standing ab crunches in along with the russian twists. I'll try get both in at least 2 times a week. I was watching a bunch of Louie Simmon's videos last night and he seems to make them mandatory in the Westside gym. I should probably do some side bends on the hyper to hit my obliques, but I'll probably get them done on Squat days and powerclean days instead.

Back Squat
    1st - 57.5 x 10
    2nd - 65kg x 8
    3rd - 85 x 8
    4th - 105 x 6
    5th - 120 x 5
    6th - 130 x 5
    7th - 130 x 5
    8th - 130 x 5

Front Squats
    1st - bar x 10
    2nd - 42.5kg x 8
    3rd - 60kg x 5
    4th - 60kg x 4
    5th - 60kg x 4

Standing ab crunches with pully @ 45kg
    4 sets of 12

Russian Twists with 10kg medicine ball
    4 sets of 30 (15 each side)

My right knee is still at me since last week. It feels as if it's stiff and needs to crack or pop. Still managed a better squat with it today though. I think it's from the powercleans last week actually. I'm going to stay away from them for a while I think :pac:.

Anyway, decent morning lifting. Didn't want to damage my knee on the extensions or calf raises, so I stayed away from them.

Yesterday:

Bench Press
    1st - 27.5 x 9
    2nd - 32.5kg x 8
    3rd - 37.5 x 6
    4th - 47.5 x 5
    5th - 57.5 x 4
    6th - 57.5 x 4
    7th - 62.5 x 4
    8th - 62.5 x 3

Close Grip
    1st - 40kg x 6
    2nd - 40kg x 6
    3rd - 40kg x 6
    4th - 40kg x 4

Skull Crushers
    1st - 25kg x 8
    2nd - 25kg x 8
    3rd - 25kg x 7
    4th - 25kg x 7

Tricep Pushdowns
    1st - 62kg x 10
    2nd - 65kg x 8
    3rd - 65kg x 7
    4th - 65kg x 7
    5th - 65kg x 6

Tried doing some core stuff as I wouldn't be at the gym until Friday.

Russian Twists - 20kg kettlebell

5 sets of 30 (15 each side)

Standing Rope Ab Crunches
    4 sets of 15 @ 50kg

Not sure if I should be bending my knees or how far I should be bending over (with a flat back obviously) when doing the crunches. If anyone knows, that'd be awesome. Trainers have no clue.

Yesterdays afternoon session:

4 rounds (average 4 reps) of:
    Clean and Press
    Reverse lunges
    Pullups

All with two 20kg Kettlebells.

5mins of swings (single kettlebell)

I'm actually going batshít insane without chocolate or any sweets. Went into the kitchen in work this morning and someone had made a massive chocolate fudge cake. Went over to get a water and there was a bunch of twirls and crunchies in the snack basket. The only thing that's keeping me moderately sane are the chocolate protein shakes.

On the plus side, I've definitely noticed fat loss around my gut and my chest. I weighed myself yesterday and I was 15 stone 7.

When I started training properly about a year and a half ago I was close to 18 stone, and ridiculously unfit. I think my moderately good diet and training are working anyway :)

Dathai wrote: »
    Yesterday:

I'm actually going batshít insane without chocolate or any sweets. Went into the kitchen in work this morning and someone had made a massive chocolate fudge cake. Went over to get a water and there was a bunch of twirls and crunchies in the snack basket. The only thing that's keeping me moderately sane are the chocolate protein shakes.

On the plus side, I've definitely noticed fat loss around my gut and my chest. I weighed myself yesterday and I was 15 stone 7.

When I started training properly about a year and a half ago I was close to 18 stone, and ridiculously unfit. I think my moderately good diet and training are working anyway :)

Oof, too much temptation for me. Just concentrate on the fatloss you've had, not that that advice works for me :rolleyes:. One day at a time, eh?

And you seem happy that your cleans are coming along, I have no idea if I'm doing them properly, probably not, so I don't do too many in case my klutzy self does some (more) damage.

I signed myself up for a Crossfit Intro to Barbell techniques (or something along those lines). Basically an intro to correct squatting, cleans, clean + jerk, snatch etc. Looking forward to it!

This morning:

Standing Push Press
    1st - Bar x 10
    2nd - 22.5 x 8
    3rd - 37.5 x 7
    4th - 45 x 5
    5th - 45 x 5
    6th - 50 x 4
    7th - 50 x 3

Lat Pulldowns
    1st - No.9 x 8
    2nd - No.11 x 8
    3rd - No.11 x 8
    4th - No.11 x 8
    5th - No.11 x 8

Dumbell Flys
    4 sets of 10 @ 12kg

T-Bar Rows
    1st - 50kg x 8
    2nd - 60kg x 6
    3rd - 60kg x 6
    4th - 60kg x 5

Upright rows
    1st - 45kg x 8
    2nd - 45kg x 8
    3rd - 45kg x 8
    4th - 45kg x 6

E-Z bar Curls
    1st - 35kg x 8
    2nd - 35kg x 8
    3rd - 35kg x 8
    4th - 35kg x 7 (Arms died)

Did curls today for the first time in about 9 months. Don't like doing them as, well lets be honest, you look like a spa doing them. I used to do hammer curls with DBs so it used to WRECK my shoulders. The bar is much easier. I figure I should start training my biceps as my triceps have gotten about 2-3 times the size of my biceps. Plus hopefully the added strength will up my bench.

There was only 2-3 people in the gym this morning, including myself. About 5 minutes before I was about to finish, two guys came in and pretty much did this

It was actually the most awesome thing ever. I'd pay to see it again :pac:

Deadlifts
    1st 80kg x 8
    2nd 102.5 x 7
    3rd 115 x 6
    4th 150 x 4
    5th 162.5 x 4
    6th 177.5 x 4
    7th 177.5 x 4
    8th 180 x 2
    9th 182.5 x 2

Hyperextensions
    1st Bodyweight x 10
    2nd 25kg x 8
    3rd 25kg x 8
    4th 25kg x 8
    5th 25kg x 8

Russian Twists
    5 sets of 20(10 each side) with a 20kg Kettlebell.

Didn't bother with anything else, back was feeling super tight, so I just went a stretched. Tore the living shít out of my shins today, stung to bits when showering and even more when I was trying to get up the stairs!

Happy enough with the lifts though today, I reckon I could have pulled more if I warm up enough with lower reps.

• Advertisement

Had the most mental dreams last night. I kept dreaming I was at a crossfit seminar out in UCD and I was late so I had to change in front of everyone. But naturally I forgot my shorts and boxers so I had to train without them. Weird because I've never been to UCD or crossfit.

Anyway, this morning it's been

Back Squats
    1st - 57.5 x 7
    2nd - 65kg x 6
    3rd - 87.5 x 5
    4th - 105 x 6
    5th - 120 x 5
    6th - 135 x 4
    7th - 135 x 4
    8th - 135 x 4

Front Squats
    1st - bar x 10
    2nd - 30kg x 6
    3rd - 45kg x 5
    4th - 60kg x 4
    5th - 60kg x 4
    6th - 62.5 x 3

Leg Extensions
    1st - 50kg x 10
    2nd - 75kg x 8
    3rd - 75kg x 7
    4th - 75kg x 7
    5th - 75kg x 7

Leg Curls
    1st - 50kg x 8
    2nd - 65kg x 7
    3rd - 65kg x 7
    4th - 65kg x 6

Russian Twists with 10kg medicine ball
    4 sets of 30 (15 each side)

Didn't get the calf raises in today as the smith machine was broken (gym doesn't have a calf raise machine, and people like to break the smith machine - quite a lot). Loads of college students using the pull down machines and I wasn't going to wait 25 minutes while they're doing sweet FA with them.

I DEFINITELY need to get some good mornings and back and glute work in at some point in my routine. I'm able to move the weight on the back squat, but it's just coming back up I can feel my back isn't liking it. Going to try and get some done on Thursday if as I'll have Friday for shoulder work and then saturday for deadlifting.

Advertisement