Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone, O2 or Meteor? And Why? (Pay As You Go)

Options
  • 20-02-2011 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Vodafone, O2 or Meteor? And Why?

(Pay As You Go ONLY/ Not interested in signing any contracts!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Meteor :D

20 euro a month and you have free any network text

Internet is 69c a day (per 50mb download)

Voice mail is free.

Boyfriend is on Vodafone and uses a fortune keeping it topped up! He's switching to another network soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Meteor :D

20 euro a month and you have free any network text

Internet is 69c a day (per 50mb download)

Voice mail is free.

Boyfriend is on Vodafone and uses a fortune keeping it topped up! He's switching to another network soon.

O2 have treats including €4 to the see any movie in many diff cinemas and great deals in different restaurants/spas...

Why shouldn't I join O2? They also have free texts to any network..

Not sure about internet? How is vodafone for internet?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Scrummage

It depends on what network you make your calls to? Most of mine are to O2 numbers so the €20 top up covers that and the 20 does me ringing other networks and LL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm on meteor €20 gives me free meteor to meteor texts and 250mb browsing for the month. (you can choose any network texts, or meteor to meteor calls and texts or the meteor texts and internet)

O2 and Vodafone are 99c a day for internet usage but if you top up by €20 you get free calls and texts to that network or any network texts.

€30 on vodafone gets you internet surfing for the month and a choice between free network to network calls and texts or any network texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can forget about internet with any PAYG. 69c/day = ~e21/month for a miserable amount of data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Best prepay? Three.

For a monthly €20 top up; Free any network texts, free weekend calls (to all networks), free skype and €10 free credit per month (for life).

Best prepay internet rate by a country mile and free voicemail.

Strange that you would exclude them!

jordainius wrote: »
    Best prepay? Three.

For a monthly €20 top up; Free any network texts, free weekend calls (to all networks), free skype and €10 free credit per month (for life).

Best prepay internet rate by a country mile and free voicemail.

Strange that you would exclude them!

Ha, thats gas cuz i'm with them atm but stuck on a co tract till april, hence i wanna change things up straight after it cuz i hate three so much for screwin me over for the past year on dis s*** contract.. 30 quid a month for 150 units. Load of ****... Three sounds pretty good on payg, free weekend calls to any network? Why isn't everyone Three? Also O2 treats have me really tempted to switch to O2!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Joebits wrote: »
    Ha, thats gas cuz i'm with them atm but stuck on a co tract till april, hence i wanna change things up straight after it cuz i hate three so much for screwin me over for the past year on dis s*** contract.. 30 quid a month for 150 units. Load of ****... Three sounds pretty good on payg, free weekend calls to any network? Why isn't everyone Three? Also O2 treats have me really tempted to switch to O2!

You do know you can switch price plans without extending your contract?, you should switch to mini flex, you units will be doubled and your bill goes down, you can also buy an add on.

You do know you can switch price plans without extending your contract?, you should switch to mini flex, you units will be doubled and your bill goes down, you can also buy an add on.

The only way of switching, from what i gathered from a sales assistant in store, was by extending your contract! Hence i stuck to this 1 to finish it in April.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The only way of switching, from what i gathered from a sales assistant in store, was by extending your contract! Hence i stuck to this 1 to finish it in April.. :(

Who ever you spoke to was wrong. o2 force you to extend by 12 or 18mts, it's a nasty practice thankfully 3 don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Oh yeah! I remember your other thread now!

When it comes to call pricing, Vodafone = O2 = Meteor. (well pretty much!) Vodafone and O2 have refused to compete with each other for pretty much as long as I can remember (about 10 years) as they have always offered pretty much the rates as each other. It took them a good 5 or 6 years before they finally started offering free calls/texts for a €20 top up, which Meteor had been doing since 2002. It was only when Meteor started making significant gains into the market share that Voda/O2 decided to finally start doing likewise. And since then Meteor have effectively stopped competing with the big 2, and we now have a cosy big 3 who are all happy to sit and take their 20+% market share for granted- (a practice which is sadly rewarded by the Irish market, as was shown by how long it took Voda/O2 to offer free calls and texts- they didn't start offering it to reward their customers, they did it because Meteor finally started eating into their market share.)

Actually now I think of it, Three's call pricing is pretty much the same too. So when it comes to call pricing there is pretty much nothing separating them all*. If the majority of your friends are on either Voda/O2/Meteor then its a no brainer as these 3 offer free on net calls. Three on the other hand allow free weekend calls to any network, a pity to be restricted to just 2 days a week but still quite good. (* Unless we count Tesco/Just Mobile/post fone who all have a flat rate of 20c a minute to call anyone).

The only real separator is data pricing.
    Voda 99c a day for 50mb OR 39c a day for 100mb a day if you use Vodafone 360 OR you get a massive (!) 250mb data allowance for 30 days if you top up by €30 a month. (as well as the free calls texts.

O2; insist on continuing to charge 99c a day for 50mb despite years of complaints about this ridiculous price on their forums. Their lack of will to offer their customers a fair price is exactly why I left last summer. I'd encourage you not to join them OP because the reason they are willing to continue ripping their customers off like this is that far too many of their customers are continuing to stay and complain about the price and people like yourself aren't being sufficiently put off by it to ensure you don't join them! Fact is O2 are perfectly happy to listen to their customers complain, an unhappy customer who remains with the network is still a customer! They only time O2 will start listening is when they start losing a large amount customers.

Meteor; 69c a day for 50mb or free meteor texts and 250mb free data a month for topping up by €20. (not fantastic, but at least they listened to their customers when they complained about 99c a day)

Three; a five euro add on giving 500mb data for 30 days. By far the best prepay data offering.

Also- Tesco charge less to use data on the O2 network than O2 do themselves!!

I'll also add- O2 are responsible for introducing this "call set up" charge which is basically a levy charged on top of the price of any chargable call. Sadly, the other networks eventually followed.

This "treats" thing is all well and good but it doesn't hide the fact that unless the majority of people you know are on O2, no network will leave you more out of pocket than O2 will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Call 3 tell them you want to switch to pre pay, they'll send you out a pre pay sim which you can move to when your contract is up (you'll need to give 30 days notice). As drunkmonkey said you can also change price plan without extending contract length (unless you on a 12 month contract and you change to a max plan where you'll have to extend your contract by 6 months)

Yes i realise this. I'll prob stay with three but switch to payg. Free weekend calls AND free texts! Thats sweet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Walkman wrote: »
    Call 3 tell them you want to switch to pre pay, they'll send you out a pre pay sim which you can move to when your contract is up (you'll need to give 30 days notice). As drunkmonkey said you can also change price plan without extending contract length (unless you on a 12 month contract and you change to a max plan where you'll have to extend your contract by 6 months)

Went into three today, switched from relax 150 to miniflex(25 euro) which means i'll have miniflex for march and april cuz my contract ends in april. I will then switch to payg with three. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Three is the best with the new 'All you can eat data' for pay as you go. I am with Meteor on my iPhone and Vodafone on Blackerry and have switched to three and planning to move my BB to meteor as the BB email service charge is 10 euro, where as VF is 15 euro. So tumps up for three!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bellew87

sammyano wrote: »
    Three is the best with the new 'All you can eat data' for pay as you go. I am with Meteor on my iPhone and Vodafone on Blackerry and have switched to three and planning to move my BB to meteor as the BB email service charge is 10 euro, where as VF is 15 euro. So tumps up for three!

So how much does 3 work out at on payg for all you can eat data and deals on free messages as I have an iPhone on vodafone but want to switch because the 250mb limit just isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bellew87 wrote: »
    So how much does 3 work out at on payg for all you can eat data and deals on free messages as I have an iPhone on vodafone but want to switch because the 250mb limit just isn't enough
    €20 a month under the new PAYG tarriffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

I'm Vodafone, I get free texts to any network and free mobile internet for €20 every thirty days, and, i reckon they have the better selection for phones.
    And I'm typing this off my phone atm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 bellew87

yea im vf too but 250mb of internet a month just isnt enough its not the pricing i have an issue with its the limits

Advertisement