Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amigakit.co.uk

• 20-02-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever buy of these guys? I fancy one of those PCMCIA flash transfer kits for my A600.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a good site but they seem a tad expensive sometimes.

Deal extreme have PCMCIA to compact flash adapters for next to nothing -

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/laptop-pcmcia-compact-flash-cf-card-reader-adapter-23791

You'd still need the boot disk though. Amigakits have the disk for sale on its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's a good site but they seem a tad expensive sometimes.

Deal extreme have PCMCIA to compact flash adapters for next to nothing -

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/laptop-pcmcia-compact-flash-cf-card-reader-adapter-23791

You'd still need the boot disk though. Amigakits have the disk for sale on its own.

Does the Amiga not need a specialy designed adapter to hold the compact flash? Or is it just a standard setup like what plugs into my laptop?

Thanks

Master of the Universe

The Amiga has a PCMCIA slot. So you just put the compact flash card into the PCMCIA slot adapter (like the one I linked) and plug that into your Amiga.

The only thing as I said, is you need a boot disk to get it working. Which comes as part of that kit.

How much are they charging for the kit?

The Amiga has a PCMCIA slot. So you just put the compact flash card into the PCMCIA slot adapter (like the one I linked) and plug that into your Amiga.

The only thing as I said, is you need a boot disk to get it working. Which comes as part of that kit.

How much are they charging for the kit?

adapter, software & 128mb card @ 18.59 sterling

Master of the Universe

reckon it's worth it for the convenience of everything together. But if you were willing to get the CF card and PCMCIA adapter both from dealextreme it would work out cheaper...and you'd probably be able to get a bigger CF card too.

• Advertisement

reckon it's worth it for the convenience of everything together. But if you were willing to get the CF card and PCMCIA adapter both from dealextreme it would work out cheaper...and you'd probably be able to get a bigger CF card too.

I'd save a fiver give or take but ye I think I will just get from amigakit for convenience reasons. Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just the man, does Kickstart 2.0 37.300 have a bug in it that prevents hdd's over 64MB? (Amiga 600)?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Just the man, does Kickstart 2.0 37.300 have a bug in it that prevents hdd's over 64MB? (Amiga 600)?
    No not that i know of,it wasnt originally designed for drives that big it because back in the ye olde days *some might not remember* we didnt have hard drives that big,way around is to partition the drive into different sections.

So if you have 1/2/3/4gb drive,partition around 900/800mb mark or go below that if you wish

ie name the first drive "system" second "work" or "games",you can do that with hd tools on the install disk

No not that i know of,it wasnt originally designed for drives that big it because back in the ye olde days *some might not remember* we didnt have hard drives that big,way around is to partition the drive into different sections.

So if you have 1/2/3/4gb drive,partition around 900/800mb mark

ie name the first drive "system" second "work" or "games",you can do that with hd tools on the install disk

Ah, makes perfect sense. So you wouldn't see the need to replace it with a newer version?

Presumeably then I just need to upgrade the ram, then buy the adaptor & drive and say bye bye to floppies?

• Advertisement

Ah, makes perfect sense. So you wouldn't see the need to replace it with a newer version?

Presumeably then I just need to upgrade the ram, then buy the adaptor & drive and say bye bye to floppies?

Depends on games and apps,as later games and apps took advantage of kickstart 3.0,and no you wont be be able to say goodbye to floppies,mig originally was a floppy system,so unless people want to disable their floppy drive via a jumper or disable it on hidden boot menu,they still need to load software/apps onto the hd drive,so unless people are going to open their mig every to format and place more items on hd,best to have some floppies around for back up reasons.

A600 itself,yes do ram upgrade if you wish,but i wouldn't be bother upgrading to accelerator cards levels as it be worth more than what your A600 is worth let alone since its a small system heat and ventilation made unstable when came to turbo cards.

So with the ram upgrade & cf drive installed, I then use floppies to load stuff onto the drive? Cool, best place for ram (final question :D) and what type do I need? I've no idea what's in it.

So with the ram upgrade & cf drive installed, I then use floppies to load stuff onto the drive? Cool, best place for ram (final question :D) and what type do I need? I've no idea what's in it.

One like this

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Amiga-600-1-meg-ram-upgrade-tested-working-good-cond-/310297280344?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item483f28bf58

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=879

Upgrade the rest via pcmcia slot etc,

Sorted, I'll look at those, great to know what I actually need. The Amiga world is complex!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I got a few amiga joysticks from them and a amiga mouse and they may be a bit pricey but delivery was quick.
    Don't buy the 3rd party cd32 joypad from them though, its really rubbish and unusable.

Their stock is mostly old eyetech/commodore stock left over from years,odd time fan produced stuff is made like cards etc,in small quantises hence the high price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Sorry to bother you Stone but how do you get the hidden menu on the mig1200.

Sorry to bother you Stone but how do you get the hidden menu on the mig1200.

It's like Stone is the games-master, & you've just put a VR helmet on! :D

Awiats a Patrick Moore type response from Stone...

Hold down the two mouse buttons when you power on/reset mig and you get the hidden menu,same feature on most migs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hold down the two mouse buttons when you power on/reset mig and you get the hidden menu,same feature on most migs.

Cheers, and quoted for safe keeping. :)

• Advertisement

That method is also used for the mig to acknowledge and check expansion board is present and working as shown here-

wb_30_1.gif

Now hit thanks button and be a lick arse :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Mr Stone....:rolleyes: Tell me what do you think of this ?????? Good bye or not.....

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Amiga-A1200-A600-4-Gb-CF-Hard-Drive-Plug-and-Play-/230585182129?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item35aff2a7b1

:D

Good price,mr andrew had this one before,different model but same-

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Amiga-600-4GB-Games-Demos-Hard-Disk-Drive-A600-CF-HDD-/200579277603?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item2eb374e323

Check your A600 first,if it boots and displays Kickstart 37.299 on the side,upgrade your kickstart as it wont be able to see the HD on boot.

kickstart here- http://www.vesalia.de/e_kickstart%5B154%5D.htm

Now hit thanks button and be a lick arse :).

Since when does acknowledging someone's help by pressing thanks, mean anyone is a lick arse? You've been good help re the Amiga's in this thread, learn to accept the grattitude of others without being so smarmy.

Alas the lickarse joke that back fired :(
    25815.jpg

Actually that ebay seller above has a great youtube video linked in his auction showing some of the quality Amiga games out there, worth a look for anyone new to the system or anyone wanting to reminisce (no rose tinted specs needed here):

The amiga tech in 90s became old hat when pcs and other rivels eventually caught up,

heres Zool on acorn-

Zool amiga-

Alas the lickarse joke that back fired :(
    25815.jpg

Father Stone? What a cool guy! :D I'll be thanking all of your posts from now on :P

The amiga tech in 90s became old hat when pcs and other rivels eventually caught up,

Retr0gamer, is that you?? :p

• Advertisement

No,*does a small lesson-

Reason amiga tech became old hat in the 90s is it was costing commodore alot to produce the migs,infact lot of designs came about due to the money woes,instance the AGA chipset was last moment design to get it out there as quick.

Other faults in amigas is they nearly used the same chip and sound design set in every model,instance an some model of A500 could have same chipset as your A600 due to commodore using up old stock or just weird management and cost issues.

A1200 had slow cpu and 2mb ram,only years later with arrival of cards we could play likes of doom on them.

The A1200 suffered from numerous motherboard revision issues due to cost issues so one card work fine on one board but another could randomly crash if an timing hack wasn't addressed.

CD32,grabbing an A1200 board and putting on a cd drive and giving it a mere 2mb ram made it feck all for games and hence one reasons why alot of games where A500 ports.

It also weird to know Hewlett packard made the AGA chips.

A4000's came with 040 first then later models used 030,cheap caps and leaking batteries to save money,i had one and it died of cap leak*and no i wasn't sad or upset when it went and no i don't have it anymore before you ask.

I have used migs for ages and would find winuae better and more stable.

You seem to know all about these machines:)

I've used friends ones back in the late 80's to early 90's but only last yr did I buy my first amiga 600. I use the emu's there for awhile and found them fine but I personly find it more spirited using the original hardware.

Pitty commodore went bust really.
    No,*does a small lesson-

Reason amiga tech became old hat in the 90s is it was costing commodore alot to produce the migs,infact lot of designs came about due to the money woes,instance the AGA chipset was last moment design to get it out there as quick.

Other faults in amigas is they nearly used the same chip and sound design set in every model,instance an some model of A500 could have same chipset as your A600 due to commodore using up old stock or just weird management and cost issues.

A1200 had slow cpu and 2mb ram,only years later with arrival of cards we could play likes of doom on them.

The A1200 suffered from numerous motherboard revision issues due to cost issues so one card work fine on one board but another could randomly crash if an timing hack wasn't addressed.

CD32,grabbing an A1200 board and putting on a cd drive and giving it a mere 2mb ram made it feck all for games and hence one reasons why alot of games where A500 ports.

It also weird to know Hewlett packard made the AGA chips.

A4000's came with 040 first then later models used 030,cheap caps and leaking batteries to save money,i had one and it died of cap leak*and no i wasn't sad or upset when it went and no i don't have it anymore before you ask.

I have used migs for ages and would find winuae better and more stable.

i do yes but now i slowly seem then getting overrated with vectrex/virtual boy/radiant silvergun

Had friend wouldn't shut up about radiant and kept pulling down his pants to touch himself everytime he played it in my house so in the end i brought him a copy from ebay and never saw him again.

i do yes but now i slowly seem then getting overrated with vectrex/virtual boy/radiant silvergun

Had friend wouldn't shut up about radiant and kept pulling down his pants to touch himself everytime he played it in my house so in the end i brought him a copy from ebay and never saw him again.

Yikes man what happened to you?! Seems to p1ss you right off when folks show any appreciation for a machine they like or when they come across something they've never played before.

Who's overrating Amigas now? I think they're great machines because they've a great selection of games and they bring back fond memories for me personally, having owned my 500 since '90 or there abouts. The A1200 + CF card HD is new to me but so handy imo, no worrying about faulty disks or load times, but I don't expect any of them to make my breakfast or tie my shoe laces for me.

If some folk gush about stuff then just ignore it, like I do with all that dinorex sh1te recently. :eek: + :p + /hides

Anyway, shame you have that attitude, some of us really appreciate the info you post sometimes.

For the record, I have my own CIB copy of Radiant and Jaxxon Quaint Platypus didn't buy it for me! :pac:

I agree all of that, who hyped anything at all? I bought a Vectrex after seeing it an iaction at a beers, I got an Amiga after playing both o1s1n's and Andrews, & the list goes on.

I havn't seen anyone here who bought something based of our words, & was then disappointed with it.

Master of the Universe

Stone is just so hardcore and anti mainstream that the moment people show an interest in something he likes he has to bin it all as he can no longer enjoy it. :pac:

• Advertisement

Stone is just so hardcore and anti mainstream that the moment people show an interest in something he likes he has to bin it all as he can no longer enjoy it. :pac:

Anyways back to the lessons,the newer*well unoffical migs* appear at time to time,latest os being 4.1,im hesitant to splash the cash on this as there are actually no games and the board itself could be obeslete/uncompatable in year to come-

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1014

OS in use-

Anyways back to the lessons,the newer*well unoffical migs* appear at time to time,latest os being 4.1,im hesitant to splash the cash on this as there are actually no games and the board itself could be obeslete/uncompatable in year to come-

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1014

OS in use-

What about backward compatibility with classic systems?

Emulated as far as i know,its totality different technology ,no difference from using your pc/lappy,like this item which is essentially emulating A500/A600-

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=777

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but what is the point of these machines? They have some homebrew Amiga OS coupled with modern day PC hardware? Why not just have a genuine Amiga and a PC?

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but what is the point of these machines? They have some homebrew Amiga OS coupled with modern day PC hardware? Why not just have a genuine Amiga and a PC?

There is no point tbh,theres being countless attempts to restart the mig,but ,court cases,copyright,and just not appearing have stalled it all,tbh i dont know if would be worth it even given windows/apple dominance,now there is something on the horizon,the current owners of commodore plan to reboot mig/c64 with new technology,its all here-

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx

Also to add,if commodore ditched the mig *they made pcs until 1993* they might had still be around.

Andrew76 wrote: »

It's probably because a True Amiga popping up on the shelves once again after such a long absence would only be of interest to a niche Market. People are so conditioned into windows that an Amiga would be too much of a stray cat to even consider. This was always my assumption. If you grew up in the mid 80's to early 90's you would have the name Amiga on the tip of your Tongue. Everyone else after that would probably not have a clue.

mondeo wrote: »
    It's probably because a True Amiga popping up on the shelves once again after such a long absence would only be of interest to a niche Market.
    More of a nostalgia craze with people digging out their old ones and turning into instant millionaires on ebay overnight.

Stone, can standard pc floppies be read on an Amiga? I've tried googling it, but all the results are about using Amiga floppies on pc & associated mods etc...I promise I won't thank your reply :p

Stone, can standard pc floppies be read on an Amiga? I've tried googling it, but all the results are about using Amiga floppies on pc & associated mods etc...I promise I won't thank your reply :p

Nabbed the below from here: http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-118

"The opposite is true, i.e. the Amiga, which has a more "flexible" hardware than most PCs, can read and write floppy disks in the MS-DOS format."

You can use pc floppies alright but the results are variable,most migs had double density drives so needed DD disks*yes they existed once,held about 880k*,so using ibm pc high density formatted 1.44mb disks and formatting them can give you a potential head ache,its believed the magnetic layer coated on the 1.44mb disks on from the factory can give read/write errors,but some people have tried them and found no problems at all.

you have being warned.

Andrews article actually refers to when years ago we could format and read data from a ms dos pc disk through the amiga app "crossdos" which was included on some workbench os.

image.jpg

Advertisement