Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I refuse a sweep?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm 39 + 4 and have a hospital appt Tues. Last week I was told they werent going to do an internal that day but would do one the next week and "stretch the membranes" I asked was this entirely necessary as I wouldnt even be overdue and she said they have to - the reason she gave was that its best to start it so that I dont end up going over. She also mentioned that they would discuss an induction date on the same day. I'm in no rush to get this baby out, have had an easy pregnancy and would rather give the baby a chance to come on its own accord rather than intervening. Last thing I want is to end up with too much intervention, I would prefer if I was left alone :(
    Can I refuse to have the sweep - she was pretty adament that it was necessary? Oh and BTW I have had a normal pregnancy, no complications & everything is normal with baby.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yup you can refuse anything you like. I'd be the same if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can refuse it, absolutely.

My consultant offered me a sweep the week before I was due on my second daughter but when he done the internal I was nowhere near ready to go so he didn't do it.

Sweeps can be quite painful if your cervix is not soft.

Stick to your guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sparticus78

Thanks for your replies - I thought I would have had a say but the lady didnt seem to be having any of it the last day! I am going public in Limerick and have heard a few horrer stories (along with the good ones!) about the difference in docs etc, particuarly foreign docs/consultants who can be quite pushy and rough with their internals and stitching :eek:.

I dont mind an internal to see how things are "looking" but will ask them to stop at that. I really did question her approach (there was also a student with her but she didnt say a word) and she was adament this was the way it would happen the following week - I'm sure its in my notes for the next appt but am praying I will get someone else that may have a different approach or be willing to listen to my preferences !!!!!:(

I have heard that a lot of the time they dont even work so the pain and bleeding isnt worth it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think if the midwife was pushy I'd be declining any internals all together until I was in labour.

But that's just my view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah I agree, at this stage thats really odd. Stick to your guns and make sure they explain everything they do before hand just in case you end up getting lead into something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hey op,

I had a sweep done at 38 weeks. I refused at first and said no way was i getting it done. I had never even had a smear test at that point so I was really embarressed.

Anyway after much persuading I let her do it. It didnt hurt at all. I was expecting it to really hurt but I never felt a thing. It had no affect on me at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

refuse anything you want to it is called 'informed consent' have a few reasons why as well.
    Also if you do not want to see the same doc as last week tell the midwife when she is doing your bp and she can put your chart into another file, at least that is poss in the coombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

The difference in approaches amazes me. I was over by two days and my doc didn't even do an internal to see how things were going! I was a second timer who had a section first time round so wasn't a candidate for induction. It was only the following week that they did an internal but didn't even mention a sweep even that time.

That was in NMH where the induction policy is 14 days over. In the end they booked me for a section at 11 days over cos I pushed for it but I get the feeling they would have been happy for me to wait the 14 days to see if I went myself.

The most successful labour is spontaneous labour, so I wouldn't let them bully you into an induction date when you go in on Tuesday. Ask what the hosp policy is and tell them you would like the best chance to go by yourself.

Everyone experiences sweeps and internals differently, but if I am honest they were my least favourite part of my first labour. I found them incredibly uncomfortable and painful, and I vowed that I only wanted a miniumum the second time round. I actually was sent to the day ward due to high blood pressure the day I was due to get one, and I am positive it was because I was having one. I dont' want to alarm you as I said eveyone experiences them differently, but particularly if you are not in suspected labour I wouldn't be requesting or agreeing to one. I would be very firm about this if I were you. As you won't be in labour, you're not a day overdue, and there is zero risk to your baby. Don't let them bully you!!

(Internals are more comfortable when you are in established labour as the cervix is lower and further forward than when you're not)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'm attending Holles Street and was told that at 40 weeks I'll be offered an internal if I like. Certainly there's been no mention of anything before then, and it sounds totally optional. I'd feel the same as you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

I had a sweep done at 37+2, but only because I was in labour, and they wanted to get things moving a bit quicker! It was very painful but again that was probably because I was actually in labour! Baby was born about 2 hours later.
    I also attended Holles Street and never had so much as an internal on my other 2 until i presented to them with labour pains!
    You can refuse anything you like, tell your midwife you are not comfortable with a sweep, end of story. She can not force you to have one done if you do not want.. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Tell her no, and tell her to review her bedside manner and that it leaves a lot to be desired!!:mad:
    I had a sweep at 40+3 but it was made very clear to me that it was my choice and I could refuse. Hope all goes well.
    P.S. If you do decide to go ahead with it it is worth considering asking someone else to do it if she is on shift, at least this would make you more relaxed and in turn she may have to seriously consider her approach to patients and the impact it has on them.

lolli wrote: »
    Hey op,

I had a sweep done at 38 weeks. I refused at first and said no way was i getting it done. I had never even had a smear test at that point so I was really embarressed.

Anyway after much persuading I let her do it. It didnt hurt at all. I was expecting it to really hurt but I never felt a thing. It had no affect on me at all :)

Hi Lolli, I have had SO many smears, colposcopys and treatment over the last few years (I was at CIN3 initially but thankfully they caught it in time) so not really bothered about the process and at this stage I am wwaaayyy over the embarrassment :o - its just the thoughts of going from 1st to 5th gear when really there isnt much of a concern.

Im going to Limerick so I know max 10 days is their policy so I dont mind presenting myself for "interrogation" once that has elapsed but would prefer to see what happens myself before then - plus, it means a few extra sleeps!!!!! :cool:

Lynski, thanks for the advise in asking the midwife about ensuring I dont get the same lady as last week I reckon I will do that - I will prob just have to stand my ground with whoever I get.... wish me luck :)

Well just to say thanks and to let ye know that I stood my ground. Explained to midwife first and she put it in my notes so when I got to the doctor (who was diff to the lady last week, a male and much nicer!) it was being offered as an option rather than mandatory! Explained my case and he was more than willing to accept. He did explain the hospital policy on how long they will let me go over etc and thats all fine.

Cheers again for the advice and replies!:)

Thats great :D Make sure and come back and tell us the good news when baby arrives. Best of luck to you!

Just to let you know my baby boy arrived 6th Mar (9 days overdue) in his own good time so I avoided the induction date! He is a right cutie and good as gold - glad I let him come in his own time! All going well so far for us, he is a good feeder. I was so impressed with the treatment I received in Limerick maternity everyone was fantastic and so helpful

Just to let you know my baby boy arrived 6th Mar (9 days overdue) in his own good time so I avoided the induction date! He is a right cutie and good as gold - glad I let him come in his own time! All going well so far for us, he is a good feeder. I was so impressed with the treatment I received in Limerick maternity everyone was fantastic and so helpful

Aww Well done! Hope you are both doing well. What did you name him?

Advertisement