Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mistakes you have made in the mocks.

• 20-02-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭

After 4 exams, I have so far... Done 4 written questions on Irish paper 1 when only 2 were required. Took home my economics paper with the short questions included and handed up a blank paper, and came a half hour late for Spanish on Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Didnt realize you had to do two poetry questions on Irish paper 2. Messed up my timing big time in English paper 1 and in Geography. Im sure I'll see many more when I get my scripts back!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

!MAVERICK! wrote: »
    After 4 exams, I have so far... Done 4 written questions on Irish paper 1 when only 2 were required. Took home my economics paper with the short questions included and handed up a blank paper, and came a half hour late for Spanish on Saturday.

You had a mock on Saturday? :eek:
    I don't think I made any huge ones apart from that I wasn't arsed to read over my German paper with 20 minutes left (had a nice snooze instead), so it's obviously got loads of grammar mistakes. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Violafy wrote: »
    You had a mock on Saturday? :eek:
    Several people seem to have had them!

Just a reminder folks ... do NOT discuss specific details of any questions, or anything which might give hints, on this thread.

Not everybody is finished Mocks yet! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At least if you've made those mistakes in the Mocks, you should be less likely to make them in the real thing.

You might be surprised at the silly ways people throw away marks in the real thing - doing the wrong combination of questions (two from section 1 instead of one each from 1 and 2), answering the wrong question (slapping down some learned off essay, that while it may have answered its own question well, doesn't answer the question on the paper) and leaving out questions/sections.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Don't do what I did for my Junior Cert Maths Paper - thinking it ended at 12.30, and feeling absolute panic when he said "5 minutes left" at 11.55.

Plus, as all questions were compulsory on the paper, I thought I'd just start at number 1 and work my way through, although question 6 was the easiest (it was the statistics one, right?) - huge mistake, as it meant an easy question was being crammed into 5 minutes.

Who knew you could draw an ogive in about 20 seconds? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

!MAVERICK! wrote: »

I thought it was 1 written question, as in an aiste or díospóireacht or whatever, and the 2 comprehensions!!?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I accidentally (;)) never learned my poetry for English so I wrote an opening paragraph and then skipped it.. Oops..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I thought it was 1 written question, as in an aiste or díospóireacht or whatever, and the 2 comprehensions!!?? :eek:

That's higher level..! He's talking about ordinary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 yellowbelly16

guys you would not believe the amount of mistakes I have made throughout these mocks :S

English- misread and misanswered the comprehension questions, wrote my speech as more of a personal essay (disaster) also the one that takes the biscuit, wrote the completely wrong comparative essay. 6 pages worth nothing.

Home ec- left myself way too short on time.

Religion- Picked the wrong questions.

Irish misread the questions wrote rubbish.

now thats what you call epic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Just count yourself lucky its not the real thing and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

now thats what you call epic fail.
    It's what you call epic opportunity to learn from the experience! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

That's higher level..! He's talking about ordinary!

Relief!! :) I surprise myself with my own retardedness from time to time:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I majorly screwed up on English 1 today. I did Section B and it was all fine a good. Then when I reread it at the end of the exam I realised that it was way too informal :( Section A, I left out a conclusion for one of them and hammed my way through the other two. At least my personal essay was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Aoifums wrote: »
    I majorly screwed up on English 1 today.

Are all your mocks during the midterm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

English paper 2 - ran out of time and didn't get unseen poetry done.

French - answered a past tense question in the future tense. Nearly everyone else did the same though, so hopefully they'll be gentle. :)

Maths - the entire paper in general. Disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 C0nn0rmcl

Should have done a little more studying in Math, Geography and Links. Other than that I think I did alright.

NotExactly wrote: »
    Are all your mocks during the midterm?

Half of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LCer

In religion I used a Harry Potter spell when describing the process of changing bread and wine into the body and blood of christ and said Nina Carberry-the jockey, sang the song "show me what im looking for". I got my wires totally crossed in that exam! Ooops :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

Don't do what I did for my Junior Cert Maths Paper - thinking it ended at 12.30, and feeling absolute panic when he said "5 minutes left" at 11.55.

Plus, as all questions were compulsory on the paper, I thought I'd just start at number 1 and work my way through, although question 6 was the easiest (it was the statistics one, right?) - huge mistake, as it meant an easy question was being crammed into 5 minutes.

Who knew you could draw an ogive in about 20 seconds? :o

I did the exact same thing.:eek: Biggest freak out of my life. Id say the examiner thought I was having some kind of attack or something:rolleyes: so ya I've been very careful this time round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Half of them are.

I never knew some schools have there mocks during the midterm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Business(HL) - thought i had studied enough, but could barely answer the paper

Geography(HL) - was going great, but i broke my ankle when we learned the sub continental region so i hadnt a clue, also got my timing wrong

Biology(HL) - didnt study in detail, my answers were vague.

Japanese(HL) - fairly happy, probably my best exam along with maths.

English(HL) - winged the comparitive

Irish(OL) - i just dont like the language

Math(OL) - a piss take compared to HL

Im pretty sure i passed everything, maybe failing Irish and hopefully just scraping a pass in business..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Managed to skip two part C's on my accountancy paper despite reading them and thinking "Nice! I can actually answer these!"

And then skipping to the next question after doing the part B. Thats 30 marks down the drain. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Spent too much time on reading comprehensions in English.

Paid attention to a teacher who said 4 or 5 times on different occasions that a certain question on Hamlet would appear on our paper but 2 different questions were asked. I had only learnt what I needed for that question so was basically screwed for that question. So I advise people not to take a teachers word as gospel. :rolleyes:

Maths - My mistake was basically the whole paper, I don't think I got a single question right.

Fell ill during English Paper 2. Disaster! Got 2/3 of the paper done and walked out :(
    I know I will get a terrible result from two bad papers but I'll just focus on what I did get done and how I did on them. And the bad thing was that it was a lovely Hamlet Q that I didn't get to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I accidentally (;)) never learned my poetry for English so I wrote an opening paragraph and then skipped it.. Oops..

I ran out of time for that question, so I wrote an intro and made good use of bullet points for each poem. :p

Advertisement