Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bench Vice

• 20-02-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    Im in need of a bench vice with a quick release , i've trawled the web and car boot sales can't find one at reasonable money, I have 200 euro to spend , am hoping someone can help .The quick release is a must.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/record-52-1/2ed-professional-quick-release-woodworking-vice-9-p1826

they'll ship by courier to Ireland for around 30 quid. If you have a vat number they'll sell to you ex vat as well. Only bought off them once but I was very satisfied with them

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rick.james

Thanks for the reply ,
    Sorry i didnt describe it correctly its a mechanics vice ,not a wood working type I need . that site has them but are far too expensive.

Maybe my budget prediction was off the mark.

They're serious machines alright. I used one in a job I was doing for a while.

Unless you can get one second hand, (unlikely) then you won't really get one cheaper. Maybe at the markets you will, but the quality won't be as good as what that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭air

Quick google brings one up here
    http://rileysmachineryandtooling.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=80
    Not a million miles above budget either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Found this on ebay and they deliver to Ireland.It is within budget but not as serious a piece of kit as the one Air found.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/All-Steel-Quick-Action-Professional-Bench-Vice-/370231071730?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item56337dd3f2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Is that how much vices are :eek:

I was lucky enough to inherit (he doesn't know it yet), my dads, who got it from his dad and so on.. Few generations old and hes always been protective of it now I know why :P Its the same as one of those on the pics and has quick release, glad I've a good un!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Found this on ebay and they deliver to Ireland.It is within budget but not as serious a piece of kit as the one Air found.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/All-Steel-Quick-Action-Professional-Bench-Vice-/370231071730?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item56337dd3f2

No offence Ronin247 but any one who uses a vice for work will tell you the only one to go for is a record. Size depends on what you're going to be putting in it but those cheap ones are only pish or for very light diy at best.

I have two Records in the garage one is a second hand from circa 1970 ex machine shop with new jaws you can hammer the thing closed then swing out of it on a 4' bar and it won't budge. The other is a slightly smaller record on its own cast iron stand. Given to me by my uncle who was given it to mind by a friend o his who went to Oz back in the fifties.. good as new. Don't think he'll be back somehow but if he does his vice is still here and working.

When I was working as a fitter, I saw two lads working on a record vice, trying to get a bearing pressed. The vice was on the ground, and one of the lads had a 4 foot length of pipe on the bar and the other was belting the jaws with a sledgehammer to shock the bearing in. Vice took all that abuse and kept going

Record are the only brand to go for in heavy duty stuff, they are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rick.james

Thanks for the help, Think I'll call to the market in clara asap its meant to be good for tools etc, if no joy there ill have to get one in from U.K online.

Advertisement