Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only french teenager living in Ireland ?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi guys !
    Everything is in the title ! I've been living in Ireland, county Cork for a year and a half now and I never met anybody in my situation !
    Am I the only french boy living on this island ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I went back to college for 2 years, loads of French erasmus students around the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You could always ring the French Embassy if your lonley OP ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Nope, I teach in the European school and we have quite a few French teenagers!
    I assume St Andrews in Dublin would have a good amount as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

yes yes you are. you are the only french teenager living in ireland. chin up now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

There are a good few French students in Galway. They would be Erasmus students. I would have thought that UCC would bring in alot of French Erasmus students too. That being said, they might be a bit older than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Hi guys !
    Everything is in the title ! I've been living in Ireland, county Cork for a year and a half now and I never met anybody in my situation !
    Am I the only french boy living on this island ? :confused:

If you're out in the countryside, then it must certainly feel like it (on the other hand, it must be great for your English :) ).
    Is it easy for you to get to Cork city if you're missing meeting other little Frenchies? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

You are definitely not the only one! Although I'm Irish, I went to a French school in Dublin. After I left it merged with the german school in Clonskeagh, Dublin called St. Killians. In my class, it was 33% irish, 33% french, and 33% half french-half irish. Did our bac and all in Dublin. http://www.lfi.ie

Maybe you need to convince them to set up a cork branch of the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnrichard

I don't think that you are the only person lives there. May be your situation just pushes you to consider that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

As an English speaking country with sometimes very different social traditions to France, I suppose Ireland is not generally as natural a destination for the émigrés français... most young French who have emigrated would tend to go to London, in my experience. One often hears French spoken on the tube, or in cafés.

In Dublin, I think we less of the French than we do our other closest neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

later10 wrote: »
    As an English speaking country with sometimes very different social traditions to France, I suppose Ireland is not generally as natural a destination for the émigrés français... most young French who have emigrated would tend to go to London, in my experience. One often hears French spoken on the tube, or in cafés.

In Dublin, I think we less of the French than we do our other closest neighbours.

You'd be surprised at the number of French people in Ireland having moved to Ireland for affinities between the cultures, professional reasons or stayed after their studies ... I think, given the choice, a French person might prefer Ireland to the UK ;)

V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Pretty much every young French person I meet asks me if I'm from Galway when they hear I'm Irish. It's true that London's the main draw, but Dublin/Ireland is popular too. In Dublin, the French are the 7/8th biggest immigrant group -- something like 4,500 in the city. Speaking of hearing French on the tube, I'd often hear it on the Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Peut-être c'est un peu tard - mais au sein de l'AFI.ie il y a un club pour étudiants français et francophones -
    http://www.afi.ie/fr/le-club-jeune/

Advertisement