Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements to do a PHD?

Options
  • 20-02-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

2nd year student here, have an interest in myabe doing a phd after my degree. Can anyone enlighten me on what you need to do one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Depends a lot on what your field is but generally you'll need at least an upper second class honours or a first class honours to do one. If you're still genuinely interested in doing one in your final year, keep asking lecturers/ your supervisor/ thesis overseer etc about doing one all the way through that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

You'd normally have to do a Master's first - most areas prefer a research Master's rather than a taught Master's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

taz70 wrote: »
    You'd normally have to do a Master's first - most areas prefer a research Master's rather than a taught Master's.
    Depends a lot on the area of study - Science PhDs frequently look for people who've just finished their primary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What are your job prospects after you complete your PHd? Personally I wouldnt touch that with a bargepole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Well my area would hopefully be medical science/science and in relation to riamfada's post, I always thought there were great job prospects after doing a phd because tyou are so qualified

• Advertisement

Montroseee wrote: »
    Well my area would hopefully be medical science/science and in relation to riamfada's post, I always thought there were great job prospects after doing a phd because tyou are so qualified

Not particularly but Im not familiar with the medical science sector but I would assume a PHd would be a big plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Having a pHD in the medical sciences ups your job prospects by a considerable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Montroseee wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me on what you need to do one?

A lot of GPA (minimum of a 2.1 degree)
    A lot of money (minimum of E15,000)
    A lot of time (minimum of 3 years)
    A lot of patience (fancy being arbitrarily failed by two people that can ask anything of you and you can ask nothing of them - the DSP - well, personally I'd prefer a standardised test any day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

taz70 wrote: »

Don't know about that now. I know in my PhD the fact that I was doing a taught masters when I went for my interview seemed to work in my favour. Certain taught masters gives you a load of skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

A lot of patience (fancy being arbitrarily failed by two people that can ask anything of you and you can ask nothing of them - the DSP - well, personally I'd prefer a standardised test any day)

If you're doing a science PhD, you can expect to be paid. If you can't find funding for a science PhD, then you should look harder, or not do it. I have never heard of anyone doing a self-funded PhD in science, although I'm sure it happens occasionally.

Realistically, it takes 4, rather than 3 years. You will need a very good degree - there's a lot of competition at the moment, so a 2.1 might not be good enough, really, a first is required.

If you want a PhD, find out who is doing interesting research in your area, and start talking to them. Try and get a final year project in their lab, do it well, and be interested.

If you go down the PhD route the most important thing is to have a good relationship with your supervisor. More than any other factor, that will determine how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Make sure you get a significant amount of funding for your PHD, otherwise re consider doing it. I honestly do not know how you could survive financially without funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Riamfada wrote: »
    What are your job prospects after you complete your PHd? Personally I wouldnt touch that with a bargepole!

Rubbish! A PhD is far less like a masters or a 2nd degree etc, and more like 3 or 4years of actual research experience. Once you have funding (and to be honest I know very few PhD students, in engineering at least who don't have funding), then you will be in a healthy enough position, normal funding is 16k a year, which is tax free, so its enough to live on. Following a PhD, many people go on to do post docs, which are well enough paid positions.

Of course like all jobs in this recession, there are less post doc research opportunities at the minute, but they do exist.

I'm not saying that PhDs are easy or anything, but to blindly state you wouldn't touch one with a bargepole is crazy. They certainly don't diminish your job opportunities, They are not for everyone, you obviously wont just walk into a job after one, But for someone who wants to get into the research or academic world a PhD is one of the best ways.

Oh yeah I agree, depending on your personal circumstances but personally I wouldnt invest 4 years of my life in poverty (again) unless I was guaranteed a high paying position afterwards. The outcome would be industry specific I would guess but I would feel better being on the dole as Mr rather than Dr.

But that is just my perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

in realtion to your field OP which I am also in some of the above is not true. I once thought it was for me but you really need experience of it to decide and I certainly had a different perspective afterward although Im still not sure. Very demanding but it forces you to live every bit of your life to the full, ie busy work life busy social life and busy in general. You wont survive otherwise, it will eat you

Pm me for more info, I have an idea and I wish someone told me in 2nd year about it. I take it your doing science? a lot of the advice from other disciplines doesnt cross over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    If you're doing a science PhD, you can expect to be paid.

Perhaps the best reason advanced so far why you should read science and not arts! :eek:

Advertisement