Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor in Swords

Options
  • 21-02-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good GP in Swords, preferably in the Applewood area?

I had a really, really bad experience with the VHI Swiftcare clinic in Swords in Saturday. I was washing my hands in work on Saturday and I heard a click and a crunch sound in my lower back and then just unbelievable pain. Couldnt walk properly or sit down so had to get the other half to pick me up and bring me to the Swiftcare centre as we couldn't see a doctor anywhere else at that time. I waited for almost an hour and a half - unable to sit in the waiting room - and when I was eventually seen I was spoken to for literally 3 minutes or less. He didn't ask where the pain was or anything like that, just said "People don't break bones like that so you don't need an xray. Probably muscle. Go home and get a hot water bottle and some neurofen." I tried to explain about not being able to sit, about the pain if standing for too long, about the shooting pain from my lower back right down my leg which felt like a trapped nerve, and he ignored me and just hustled me out of the place.

I then had to pay €125 for the honour of 2+ minutes of his time.

Due to the nature of my job (on my feet all day, walking and shelving) I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to go to work tomorrow as the pain hasn't lifted at all. So I need to see a decent doctor who will actually listen to me, and not fob me off without even asking whats wrong or how it happened!

Applewood or close enough would be better as walking is tough at the moment, but I can make it to a bus if there is one in the town that people recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That sounds awful Chinafoot! Bloody hell.

I know its not what you're asking, but would a Physiotherapist not be better to assess you? (Can't give you any recommendations on that).

I go to Dr. Rosaleen O'Kelly up in Brackenstown, across from the school. You'd have to get the bus from Applewood and walk about 5 minutes to her surgery. I don't like doctors but am always put at ease when I go to see her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Larianne wrote: »
    That sounds awful Chinafoot! Bloody hell.

I know its not what you're asking, but would a Physiotherapist not be better to assess you? (Can't give you any recommendations on that).

I go to Dr. Rosaleen O'Kelly up in Brackenstown, across from the school. You'd have to get the bus from Applewood and walk about 5 minutes to her surgery. I don't like doctors but am always put at ease when I go to see her.

Thanks for that Larianne.

Physiotherapist might be better, wouldn't have a clue. The only reason I went to the Swiftcare place was so that I could get some anti-inflammatory medication and some painkillers. My dad, who has put his back out badly a few times, said they'd most likely give me an injection. Couldn't face a night of pain. Unfortunately I had pain in my back and my wallet :rolleyes: The other half is adamant about making a complaint about the clinic. I appreciate they're busy but he didn't even ask where the pain was!? It was like a factory with a conveyer belt of patients.

I'll suss out that doctor you recommended, if not for now then definitely in the future. I hate them myself and always worry they'll think I'm faking! I have no idea why I worry about that but I always do. My arm could be hanging off and I'd worry they don't believe me.

Have been told theres a Primacare clinic in Applewood so if I can get an appointment there tomorrow I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would definitely make a complaint. That is no way to treat someone in a lot of pain. And especially if you described your symptoms to him. Its people like him that stop the public from seeking help for back pain!

Hope you get some relief from it. Back pain is certainly not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

If you can make it to main street I can recommend Dr Anne Devitt.

She is usually quite full but I went to her without an appointment and she was great, gave me all the time I needed and never once left me under the impression that she was rushing me in and out.

I only went to her as a neighbor recommended me to her.

She is in the Plaza Clinic on the Main st in Swords ( tel 8902414)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Yeah all normal doctor can do is give you anti inflammatories and send you on your way.

I had a back problem a while back and I went to a Clive Dennis who is a very good Chiropractor and he sorted it out. I could barely get out of my car and after he saw me I was right as rain. He also explains alot in detail about the back and your specific problem.

http://www.naas-swordschiropractic.ie/doctor/chiropractor/3L/naas-chiropractor/Dr-Clive-Dennis.htm

• Advertisement

Anti inflammatories and sending me on my way is far, far preferable to the treatment I received in Swiftcare.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If you need someone urgent, there is a Primacare clinic in Applewood, just over Adams Apple cafe, might be of use to you?

Ginny wrote: »
    If you need someone urgent, there is a Primacare clinic in Applewood, just over Adams Apple cafe, might be of use to you?

Hi Ginny,

Just back from the Primacare clinic. The doctor was fantastic. She asked me loads of questions, listened to me and examined my back properly. She gave me a cert for a week, anti-inflammatories and painkillers.

I wouldn't hesistate in going there again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Oh I'm glad it worked out for you, I've only been to her a few times when i couldn't get to my usual doc, and she was great then..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

glad to hear the second visit was better, it's a great clinic alright - hope you feel better soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help and well-wishes guys :)

(Diazepam is amazing btw :P)

Advertisement