Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Mods seem light on the ground tonight

Options
  • 21-02-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of crap being posted by obvious troll accounts in various threads in the General Election forum. Any chance an admin or cmod can do a quick bit of cover in there as they are succeeding in derailing a few good threads in there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just a follow up on this. There are a number of "new" members coming into the GE forum starting up negative campaigning threads against certain parties. Other have suggested that for the remainder of the campaign that we limit the ability to starting new threads to members with 100 posts and 1 months membership to the site.

If we do not do this I feel the GE forum will become unusable for the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks gandalf, very good suggestion. Brought to Admin forum for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cheers man, also if it is not possible can we put a warning on the forum that if boards can identify the organisation where posters of this type are coming from that it will identifying them publicly to the members of the site as partaking in underhanded campaigning. That might be enough of a deterrent for some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Can ye PM me some usernames?

There's no functionality in vBulletin to easily control what you want, but I might be able to get enough info on the posters to try and squish the problem at the source (if it is in fact an organised campaign).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I dont think its fair to limit access to people who could be legitimatly coming on to the GE forum, ie just signed up

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I know that, a restriction I feel is unfair.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Is it even possible to restrict the creation of new threads like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Not easily, which is why I asked for a few usernames by PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Don't think its a good idea look at Jolly Red Giants thread posted yesterday, where would that fit? in my view nothing wrong with having obvious strongly held views as long as bring in new info and good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Although i dont post in the forum i would support the proposal.

With all due respect to the people that dont agree with it, im too long in the preverbial tooth boards.ie wise to see anything other than an obvious hijack of a community forum by certain sections.. Gandalf is around a long time, this proposal and his ssuspicions i might suggest are not being pulled out of thin air, im pretty sure he as i have seen this carry on before, and i wouldnt like to see alot of hard work by the developers of the GE Poll and forum be hijacked by any versted interest,

I dont think regurlar users want to read a high influx of obvious spam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

The mud-slinging has become an issue. But it's often not black and white. Consider this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186783

One could argue that the poster only set up the account to mud-sling. However merely deleting the thread isn't optimal either, because it's a genuine topic to discuss. So perhaps mud-slinging thread titles should be edited?

I agree with gandalf's propel. With respect to the list Conor asked for, the problem isn't specific posters. It's a phenomenon of people setting up new Boards accounts to spread their agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I dont think its fair to limit access to people who could be legitimatly coming on to the GE forum, ie just signed up

Why am I not surprised!!

Why am I not surprised!!
    Care to elaborate? Or have you just followed me into yet another feedback thread to have a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The mud-slinging has become an issue. But it's often not black and white. Consider this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186783

One could argue that the poster only set up the account to mud-sling. However merely deleting the thread isn't optimal either, because it's a genuine topic to discuss. So perhaps mud-slinging thread titles should be edited?

I agree with gandalf's propel. With respect to the list Conor asked for, the problem isn't specific posters. It's a phenomenon of people setting up new Boards accounts to spread their agenda.

I don't see much wrong with that OP, other than it's a bit anti FG, the poster obviously feels it is an important issue worthy of discussion. There are some decent posts in it, I think it's the off topic and baiting responses that are the problem.

I suppose nerves are a bit frayed atm with the election so close and the volume of posts that add no real value is probably too much to moderate sufficiently.

It comes back to the posters again. If a thread isn't worth replying too, then don't reply and it will fall off the front page pretty quickly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Care to elaborate? Or have you just followed me into yet another feedback thread to have a go?

Don't flatter yourself.

Politics forum can be used by vested interests and party activists and spin merchants, so I would be very wary of a sudden influx of noobs into Politics.

OP has a very valid point in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Don't flatter yourself.

Rather than comment on the OP, you had a dig at him. Therefore he isn't flattering himself. I've noticed you at it, and commented on it before.

Don't flatter yourself.

Politics forum can be used by vested interests and party activists and spin merchants, so I would be very wary of a sudden influx of noobs into Politics.

Then why didnt you say that and quote the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you guys ruined politics for me. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just STFU and let me enjoy the feedback forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tbh wrote: »
    you guys ruined politics for me. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just STFU and let me enjoy the feedback forum.
    +1000. I have never used the ignore button, cos mods shouldn't(and its daft anyway) but by god certain people do tempt me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well lads, use the ignore button then, not my fault certain posters follow me around leaving snide comments without even contributing to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well lads, use the ignore button then, not my fault certain posters follow me around leaving snide comments without even contributing to the thread.

just ignore him ffs.

tbh wrote: »
    just ignore him ffs.
    You're right I guess, sorry you lads feel I have somehow wrecked the politics forum.

Anyway, back to the OP, if such a restriction was in place we would miss out on decent threads like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056187160

Its only a few more days, stick it out I say.

You're right I guess, sorry you lads feel I have somehow wrecked the politics forum.

Anyway, back to the OP, if such a restriction was in place we would miss out on decent threads like this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056187160

Its only a few more days, stick it out I say.

I say the OP has a point, events like this attract a coterie who use the thread to rubbish valid points of view.

They flood in at times like this and then disappear.

There should be a 'history' at times like this to prevent misuse of the Politics forum.

There are enough people in there flogging agendas without being overrun by 'one hit wonders ' in my opinion.

Common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe an access request forum like Soccer?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Mod Note

Wolfe Tone and Flutteringbantam, this is not the first feedback thread you've effectively ignored the OP or the topic and decided instead to have a go at each other.

If you want to use the feedback forum then use it for the reason it was created. Any more of this and I will assume you do not wish to give feedback and so have no reason to require access.

It doesnt matter who posted after whom. It doesnt matter that one was on topic first.

If you have a gripe, use the report post button. Dont go sniping.

I like users to feel free to express opinions and sometimes that means beign allowed ramble a bit off topic but both of you have taken too many liberties with this and have allowed a personal issue on another forum to spill over to here to the detriment of the other users' experience.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Restricting access to non new posters is tantamount to throwing in the towel from a moderating point of view. At least to my mind.

• Advertisement

Don't flatter yourself.

Thats always been the case though.
    Most people can see through that and engage the topic or the poster if they want to.
    They don't if the don't want to.
    For heavens sake,Boards is a medium for discussion and of course by virtue of being that,it is a focal point for clusters of interested activists.
    Thats no biggy.

Advertisement