Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Mods seem light on the ground tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You have a good point there.

However, I would hate to see the Politics forum taken over by 'activists' who beat a particular drum ad nauseum.

Make no mistake, there is a coterie of dedicated units out there whose aim is to promulgate their 'message' and Boards.ie is nothing more than a vehicle.

Topical discussions and issues pertinent to Ireland would be fine, but vested interests hawking hatred and bile at every opportunity would ,in my opinion, be
    detrimental to reasoned discussion and political intercourse and serve to do nothing but inflame people and ruin the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Make no mistake, there is a coterie of dedicated units out there whose aim is to promulgate their 'message' and Boards.ie is nothing more than a vehicle.

Of course there are, but why is that such a bad thing in your view? Politics is naturally divisive and people have more interest in certain topics than they do in others. People partake in discussions which interest them. If they're trolling or breaking any rules then they should be dealt with, but for simply sticking to one or a few topics of discussion, they shouldn't be seen as an annoyance, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...Topical discussions and issues pertinent to Ireland would be fine, ..........

"Politics" is not restricted to Irish issues. Why would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Restricting access to non new posters is tantamount to throwing in the towel from a moderating point of view. At least to my mind.

I disagree. Electioneering and mud-slinging are not typical rule-breaches, in that a quick response is needed.

If someone calls someone else a dickhead, it doesn't reasonably matter how long it takes the mods to deal with it (chances of someone retaliating excluded). The user concerned will be infracted and/or banned at some stage anyway, and the lesson will (hopefully) be learned.

However electioneering and mudslinging are continually damaging for as long as they are visible on the forum. The longer it takes mods to respond the greater the damage will be. Hence why, in this case, preventive measures might be called for.

Advertisement