Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working visa for the US? Still time left to apply?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, is it too late to apply for a working visa for the US? I want to go for the Summer and will do unskilled work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Are you a student? You need to be to qualify for the summer J1 program.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Are you a student? You need to be to qualify for the summer J1 program.

I'll be finished a course this may.. So in theory I wont be a student when the Summer comes :o and Im guessing if I plan to go into another course it still wont work.. Been told I must be in a consecutive year course to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I did a J1 last summer, after my final year in college.

My circumstances were slightly different. I had done one the previous year as well, so I didn't even have to go to the embassy interview the second time around, they seemed to just trust that I'd come back since I had the previous time. I was also coming back to do a Masters in the UK, but since I didn't have to go to the embassy, never had to prove it.

But anyway, the point is, as far as I know, you're not ineligible if you're in final year now. When you go to the interview, they'll likely be a a little more intense in asking to to show that you're going to come back at the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

abelard wrote: »
    I did a J1 last summer, after my final year in college.

My circumstances were slightly different. I had done one the previous year as well, so I didn't even have to go to the embassy interview the second time around, they seemed to just trust that I'd come back since I had the previous time. I was also coming back to do a Masters in the UK, but since I didn't have to go to the embassy, never had to prove it.

But anyway, the point is, as far as I know, you're not ineligible if you're in final year now. When you go to the interview, they'll likely be a a little more intense in asking to to show that you're going to come back at the end of the summer.

It would just be easier to get a company to sponsor me and I apply for a one year visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Hunter21 wrote: »
    It would just be easier to get a company to sponsor me and I apply for a one year visa.

I disagree, with unemployment the way it is in the US I think you would find it very difficult to get a sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Only one thread for this topic is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement