Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birds Singing at Night

• 21-02-2011 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I'm sitting here at the moment doing a bit of work, coming up to 1 in the morning and I can hear a bird singing outside. Not a bat or an owl or anything.

I'm no bird expert but this sounds like typical blackbird type singing, I'm nearly sure I heard it last night also, but I was half asleep so didn't pay much heed.

Maybe I'm wrong but this strikes me as very strange, I mean it really is the dead of nite and its messing with my head thinking its nearly dawn or something.

Is this normal, or any suggestions of what might be happening, I can't see any particularly bright lights outside to trick it or that, unless its the moon, which I think might be full. Still something I've never heard before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Cruizer101; Blackbirds are actually the very birds for singing at 'false' lights. It's quite possible ye've actually got the sound locked in ye head ~ simply through unconscious experience of seeing / hearing / connecting the normal singing. Now ye identifying the 'culprit' bang on :)

Ye don't say if ye rural or urban? I can only guess urban. If so, it's entirely possible that someone has a 'small' light outside. Sort of thing people have by their front doors?

Now, if someone has such a light, and switches it on at bed time, or 'When they think of it - after dark'? It's entirely possible a Blackbird, roosting close by, may be convinced this is the dawn. Poor soul!

This happens a Lot, in 'urban' situations. Probably plenty in suburban too. Pity no one can afford to run a meaningful survey on it. Then publish 'Govt. Guidelines'. Which would be ignored by half the populace and contradicted by another dept. :rolleyes:

One for the Birders; New, sub class? " Turdus merulus grittyii " Acceptable only in towns, cities or close to calving sheds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I am a pretty light sleeper at times and have been woke up recently after midnight by birds singing. There are some leylandii trees near me that the singing appears to be coming from, what species of birds could they possibly be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Robins can also be quite vocal at night if there are streetlights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

I heard a Blackbird fly past my window making its alarm call sound at 2:20am last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Same here - i here lots of Robins singing after 2am most mornings. It's when i take my regular visit to the loo! Blackbirds are common preachers around my part of the world too. I'm in an urban area...housing estate in fact. So, as Ditch says: the house/outside lights seem to be playing a big part..."poor souls". There must be more to it than house lights, etc. I'm sure scientists would have a more 'scientific' definition to this theory....it would be interesting to know the real reason to this. As a 'chizler' i can't for the life of me remember birds singing this early - anyone agree??

• Advertisement
Advertisement