Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myles na gCopaleen short story

Options
  • 21-02-2011 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

This is a Myles na gCopaleen or Flann O'Brien story I remember reading in secondary school, but I can't recall the name of it, or find the excerpt online...

All I can find is this article that references it. Otherwise I have no such luck and I was certain that it was a short story.

“When I returned to London, I went up to the bedroom with some curiosity. There was nothing to be seen save the bath of acid. I carried the bath down to sitting room and got a glass. I filled the glass with what was in the bath, crept in under the table and swallowed the burning liquid. Glass after glass I swallowed till all was gone. It was with grim joy that I accomplished my threat that I would drink this plumber under the table. It was the sort of thing one did at the turn of the century.”

Help much appreciated, I'd like to read it again.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

You could try The Best of Myles, a compilation of O'Brien's pieces for The Irish Times. It's widely available- you could probably pick it up for a tenner.

Advertisement