Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card problems in Oz?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been having the same problems as we have.

Myself and my girlfriend both have Laser cards. Until Friday we were both restricted to taking out 300 dollars per day with our Laser cards in Melbourne.

We thought that 300 was low, but then since Friday my girlfriends Laser has restricted her to 100 dollars per day! She is with AIB.

I am with Bank of Ireland and my limit has remained at 300.

When we Skyped the AIB helpline, they weren't very helpful at all. They said something about a change in international chip&pin rules which came into place on Friday and limited withdrawals to 600 euro per day. My girlfriend told her how she was being limited to 100 AUS$, and the woman on the helpline said she should try using around the ATMs of other banks. Today she tried them all but none of them would give more than $100.

Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?

We know we can do international money transfers, but seriously a $100 dollar Laser limit is ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Is it $100 per day, or $100 per individual transaction up to $600 per day? Have you tried taking out $100 twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

She (AIB Laser) hasn't tried to take $100 out twice in a row because the ATM charges for each transaction are very high. But if she tries anything over $100 in a single go, it says "Daily Limit Exceeded".

I (BOI Laser) can take out 300 once each day, but any attempt to take out more afterwards results in a "Daily Limit Exceeded" message for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

Myself and my girlfriend are in Melbourne and experienced the same thing over the weekend. We were able to take out $320 before but could only get $120 out over the weekend.. I'm guessing its a 100 limit thats been imposed, likely so that anybody abroad will pay even more extortionate fees to take out money!

Think I'll give AIB a call in a while, hopefully will get somebody a little more helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JFeathers

Daily and transaction limits are set for the purposes of reducing the potential for card fraud. They are set by both the bank that issues the card and by the owner of the ATM being used and so there is no set amount that you could expect to be able to withdraw/spend every time.

To clarify, Laser is the domestic debit card Scheme for use in ROI, Maestro is the international debit facility (for buying goods and services outside ROI) and the ATM facilities such as Cirrus and Link are what enable you to withdraw cash at ATMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

I have an AIB laser/maestro card. When I came back after Xmas I used it and could only withdraw e300. AIB have put this daily limit for cards overseas and they will not raise it.
    Recently I could only withdraw e100, AIB thought they were being helpful by lowering the limit in case of fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Apparently there has been a massive surge in skimmed cards being used abroad to clean out accounts recently, probably the reason they've introduced this cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am having this same problem- in India. Last week or so have been getting 'limit exceeded' trying to withdraw 10,000R (€165). Same thing in lots of different ATMs. Will try again for €95 or so.

Putting this limit on will effectively increase the bank's fees due to the €1.27 minimum charge; I imagine this is a big part of their plan. A €100 limit is ludicrous and will cause people abroad major problems I imagine. No warning of course, thanks AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Exactly, it's the fact that AIB gave no warning that is so frustrating. The sudden change in the withdrawal limit meant that we were late handing in our rent.

Luckily BOI haven't lowered their limit too, but AUS$300 is still too low in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

This is why we have credit cards people

With internet banking you can use your credit card like a laser card. Just keep it topped up with money(transfered from your current account) so you don't have a bill every month. If you don't want to do this just pay the full amount you owe every month and you don't pay interest on purchases.

Also you can with draw something like 300 daily and as far as I know AIB haven't changed this limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 32870037

I am in Sydney and have been in Cairns and Melbourne. When I arrived 5 weeks ago I could get $300 a day with my AIB Laser. It is now $100 a day. I am using my credit card for cash and transferring the amount from current to credit using internet banking. I will be looking for a refund of any interest that is charged on cash withdrawals.

• Advertisement

32870037 wrote: »
    I will be looking for a refund of any interest that is charged on cash withdrawals.

Good luck with that! I'm sure their asses are well covered under T&Cs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Margo

This is why we have credit cards people

Also you can with draw something like 300 daily and as far as I know AIB haven't changed this limit.
    I completely disagree, no this is not why we have credit cards.

I have an ATM card so I can access MY savings (current account) and not access bank credit or my transferred savings via credit card. Yes this is a possible solution to AIB's ludicrous change, but it's not what a Credit card is intended for.

I am furious about this change and the lack of advance warning. Had I known I would have transferred my current AC savings to another bank without this stupid limit. I've been living in Indonesia for the last few months and accessing my savings using my ATM card. Since last week I've been experiencing problems at multiple ATM machines.

I finally called AIB after realising that the problem was my card and not local banks, only to find that the new limit since Friday is €100 on current accounts and €250 on credit cards.

This is just farcical as the limit is so low. The exchange rate on AIB ATM cards is already crap, and the charges high. Now they can fleece me a little more on each transaction! Thanks AIB. And how typical that they coat this change under "security and fraud" prevention instead of the money making scam it really is.

I lodged a complaint and advised that I'd be changing my bank because of this. I've been a customer for 17 years, so well done AIB on the final straw in a litany of f***ups over the last years :(

Margo wrote: »
    I completely disagree, no this is not why we have credit cards.

I have an ATM card so I can access MY savings (current account) and not access bank credit or my transferred savings via credit card. Yes this is a possible solution to AIB's ludicrous change, but it's not what a Credit card is intended for.

:(

I'm the same, laser card is my first preference but when a situation goes sour (as it can do when you go abroad) Its great knowing you have the credit card for back up. At least you know no matter where you are in the world your Mastercard will always work - unlike the Maestro Laser card which isn't always compatible when you use it abroad

I've lived in America and London and found my AIB Mastercard great help when i've had issues with my laser card or the Visa card I was issued. When used responsibly a credit card is invaluable IMO

Article in today's IT:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0304/1224291281299.html

Was on radio this morning that a couple had their 8k wedding fund cleared out after card skimmed in Dublin last week was used in US and S America.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Article in today's IT:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0304/1224291281299.html

Was on radio this morning that a couple had their 8k wedding fund cleared out after card skimmed in Dublin last week was used in US and S America.

How did they get 8K skimmed when there is a €600 limit a day? That means they must not have checked their account for a good two weeks while the money was being withdrawn

How did they get 8K skimmed when there is a €600 limit a day? That means they must not have checked their account for a good two weeks while the money was being withdrawn

Not sure of details. Like I said I heard it on radio, apparently the full story is in today's Daily Mail (which I never read).

Both of their cards were skimmed at same ATM so that might explain it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Why they say they're doing it: For our protection.

Why they're really doing it: to increase income from fees, and to slow down the slow run deposits. 50,000 people leaving Ireland this year, all chipping away at their AIB deposits- it adds up.

Advertisement