Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda speed vans?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

hey sorry if this topic has been done already but on my way into work this morning i saw the big flash from one of the vans on the side of the road and i am just wondering, seeing as the reg is on the back can bikers be done for this? the van was just after inchicore going towards the red cow.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes bikers can get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

The flash probs went off automatically when the speed device picked up you travelling at a certain speed. Any picture from that is just gonna show the front of your bike, strong odds are no reg plate will be in the picture.

So i wouldnt worry about it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

yeah cheers lads i have heard that i shouldnt worry too much but i am gonna be a bit skeptical for a little while and keep my speed down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dodgeram

I know that road well. Low speed limit. Low accident rate. Lets collect some revenue. Bikes wont get caught. Somebody should get the reg off the camera van, put it on to a audi RS8, and go past the van at about 120mph. The audi would be just ticking over. That will have them scratching there heads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have been told that the new vans are capable of getting a picture of both the front and back of a vehicle. I have yet to actually see a single biker conviction from one of these vans though.

• Advertisement

Cuddlesworth could be right. The old vans were safe so long as you could see the back doors. The new vans probably have all the angles covered. I saw one in sallins in a layby. The front of the van (unmarked) was facing the cars he was catching. As they flew past they had their back reg pictured and fine issued. Most of the vans i see catch you head on. (not me of course) Watch out for night time. Crumlin Road, coming out of town, last saturday night at 8pm. pitch dark.

dodgeram wrote: »
    Cuddlesworth could be right. The old vans were safe so long as you could see the back doors. The new vans probably have all the angles covered. I saw one in sallins in a layby. The front of the van (unmarked) was facing the cars he was catching. As they flew past they had their back reg pictured and fine issued. Most of the vans i see catch you head on. (not me of course) Watch out for night time. Crumlin Road, coming out of town, last saturday night at 8pm. pitch dark.

The vans can monitor speed across six lanes and take perfect pictures of the front and rear of the car assuming there was a gap in the traffic(which 99% of the time there will be). The cameras work to a distance of over 1km. I've been told all this, don't know if I believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

So they've perfected a way of bending light now..:p...i doubt it..unless theres another forward facing camera....tbh i dont think bikes speeding is as much a money-earner as cars...;)

Id say if you were 5 inches from the back of a truck and another truck stuck to your rear bumper they will probably still get you. After all its all about makin money. My usual mode of transport is a 1999 ford transit with 210000 miles on the clock. Top speed of 50mph. So im ok;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

How they work, were they are, etc. has been discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056059521

• Advertisement

Sids Not wrote: »
    So they've perfected a way of bending light now..:p...i doubt it..unless theres another forward facing camera....tbh i dont think bikes speeding is as much a money-earner as cars...;)

The new vans supposedly do have a forward facing and rear facing camera. the Rear is the main and is used to identification and speed registering, the front is used for identification. And the system can tie the same vehicle into both shots, at some stupid figure per minute over a large area. So you would want to keep a truck between you and the camera for about 2-3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

or at least until you go around the next bend !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

I know a good few fellows now that have the tax disc fixed on the rear number plate and partially covering a number.... i know its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I know that road well. Low speed limit. Low accident rate. Lets collect some revenue. Bikes get caught. Somebody should get the reg off the camera van, put it on to a audi RS8, and go past the van at about 120mph. The audi would be just ticking over. That will have them scratching there heads:D

It's already been done in the UK last year, can't find the a link.
    My usual mode of transport is a 1999 ford transit with 210000 miles on the clock. Top speed of 50mph. So im ok;)

They also put them on 50km/h and 60km/h roads.
    hondavfr wrote: »
    I know a good few fellows now that have the tax disc fixed on the rear number plate and partially covering a number.... i know its illegal

But Garda the revs must have loosened the screw slightly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VFRGUY

If speeding on bike but slow down before reach it can they still fine you. Asking for a friend ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

VFRGUY wrote: »
    If speeding on bike but slow down before reach it can they still fine you. Asking for a friend ��

Good question. I'm unsure if they need to photo you doing the speed with reg in view for it to stick. I'm sure someone will know.
    So....triple figures??

Advertisement