Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby at 41 - anyone??

Options
  • 21-02-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

Not exactly what I'm looking for here! A bit muddled up in my own mind!

I will turn 41 soon. I have two children and cannot seem to be able to make peace with the fact that two are my lot! I have spent the last couple of years (since my last child was born) trying to decide on the pros and cons of having a baby at a more "advanced" age!

I am terrified at the prospect of actually becoming pregnant, the increased chance of risks etc and also of being an "older" parent. I suppose I am preoccupied of what other people might think of me etc.

Has anyone any experience of pregnancy, parenting over 40? I know it is up to me to follow my own instincts and make my own decision, but would really appreciate any positive or negative viewpoints on this particular issue!

Many thanks!

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how much will you regret it if you don't at least try for another child?

Yes the risks are a little higher when you are a bit older, but if you are fit and healthy and if your previous 2 pregnancies were uncomplicated, then you should be reassured that apart from you age, there are very few other risk factors should you decide to have another child.

Good luck in whatever decison you make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

My mother had my sister at 43. She was 21 having her first child. She said the only difference is that she hasnt the same energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Button nose

Thanks for the reply, crazy cat lady!

That's just it - I am trying to figure out how much I may regret not having at least tried for another.

Oh how I wish I was five years younger!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Button nose

Just saw your reply, there lolli. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I had my first 3 children when I was in my 20s & had another when I was 41 (not planned!). The pregnancy went a treat but I had a section delivery, which was ok too. I wouldn't be without her for the world. Slightly higher risk of Downs Syndrome to be aware of. Discuss it with your GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

My Granny had my aunt at the age of 50, she was the youngest of 8 kids and there were no complications and my aunt was born hale and healthy and with no abnormalities.
    So it's possible.

Advertisement