Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I just bought a Nikon d7000

• 21-02-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

Any other users on here ?? I have to say I am very impressed with it - money well spent !!!!

Interested to hear other opinions on it ?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

'grats...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Any other users on here ?? I have to say I am very impressed with it - money well spent !!!!

Interested to hear other opinions on it ?!?

What camera did you previously use, there are a lot of great reports on the
    D7000
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I bought one a few weeks ago. Love it. It's a massive step up from my D40.
    Small babies and sh1tty weather have been getting in the way of giving it a decent run out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I've been looking to upgrade to one of these, and i have only heard good reports about them from the reviews that i have read
    I would love to hear how you find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

I was using a d40 - I got a good deal in Gunns ( great service too )

It is a fantastic purchase , I only have it a day , but I am very impressed..

I will try and give a detailed review later..

So many neat little features

Surfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I went D70s to D7000. In love so far. Just shot a short documentary on it, looks beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Got one as a going-back-to-work-and-leaving-the-baby-with-a-nanny-present for my wife and was tempted to take it back and use it myself (just kidding!). Very nice piece of equipment.

As stated by another poster, baby and bad weather on weekends kept it indoors.

Zillah - how do you find the live view and movie modes ?

are you getting a lot of focus noise on the movie clips ?

Zillah - how do you find the live view and movie modes ?

are you getting a lot of focus noise on the movie clips ?

I would never use the onboard mic for anything serious, terrible quality (like any onboard mic) and constant operating sounds, including focus wheel. At the very least I'd connect an external mic, but for the documentary we recorded audio on a separate device and synced later.

Live view is great, really clear bright image, perfect for framing the shot. You cannot depend on autofocus and you really need to know your way around the camera to use it properly. It is not a camcorder, you can't just press record and point, you have to constantly keep all the settings in mind. Autofocus in live view should only be used as a last resort. Use autofocus before you swap to live mode, or zoom in before you're recording. If you have any moving shots where the subject will be at an unpredictable distance you need to close down the aperture to get a larger depth of field.

great advice Zillah - i noticed that about movie mode alright

Ive just started dabbling now in movies - so I may try and pick up and external mic ( at some stage )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I got a D7000 in November - I love it.
    Had a D80 before that but it went swimming (long story). Love the low light performance (ISO 800 was the most I could use with the D80 unless I went in for some heavy noise reduction). I posted some comparison shots on pix.ie a while back (http://pix.ie/asadlier/album/396282). Also love the higher frame rate for sports shots but haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet except for an indoor gymnastics shoot (had to use my nifty fifty - daughter didn't want me to use the 70-200 VRII :(http://pix.ie/asadlier/album/401991). Can't wait to try it out further (must read the manual soon). Don't use the the video function so I can't comment on it! Well worth the money!

Would it be a good idea to set up a D7000 user thread ?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just a tip on video, I'm using a D90, pretty similar only no af for video. I recorded some footage yesterday and even though it looked fine on the LCD, it was overblown and unusable on the pc. I had used manual focus , no issue there but I thought by setting the aperture on camera it would work in vid. I've since learned to set the aperture, unlock the aperture ring on the lens, set it to live mode and then change aperture on the lens itself. Also, to stop the exposure changing while shooting, that nasty bright/dark constant change, hold down the AEL button while recording. The exposure will not change so no more bright spots.

Thanks cageyone - nice pointer !!!!

God new camera - its like xmas !! :)

Surfer

This will only work of course with lenses that have an aperture ring. For newer lenses without, you're stuck with whatever the camera decides, but you can change the exposure compensation before shooting which might help some, using the +/- key. The AE-L trick should work either way.

yeah i think i have the bones of the movie mode down - its a nice distraction from what is an awesome camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I have one a couple of months myself, absolutely love it.

Video quailty for me has been fantastic with the only downsides being some bright spots on video that is taken in very low light (the firmware update addresses this, be sure to download it) and the nasty sound of the lens focusing that comes through on the video. You can use an external mic to eliminate that, bit thats more hassle.

It's always best to manual focus for video. If you have a lens with a nice smooth focus ring and aperture ring you're flying. Narrower apertures keep things in steady focus generally.

How is the panning in the d7000? Does it still give a jello wobble effect like the d90? Tripod and smooth slow panning helps a lot.

Just a tip on video, I'm using a D90, pretty similar only no af for video. I recorded some footage yesterday and even though it looked fine on the LCD, it was overblown and unusable on the pc. I had used manual focus , no issue there but I thought by setting the aperture on camera it would work in vid. I've since learned to set the aperture, unlock the aperture ring on the lens, set it to live mode and then change aperture on the lens itself. Also, to stop the exposure changing while shooting, that nasty bright/dark constant change, hold down the AEL button while recording. The exposure will not change so no more bright spots.
    This will only work of course with lenses that have an aperture ring. For newer lenses without, you're stuck with whatever the camera decides, but you can change the exposure compensation before shooting which might help some, using the +/- key. The AE-L trick should work either way.

Things have changed dramatically since the days of the D90. With the D7000 you can set it to manual mode and it will shoot exactly what you set it to, full control over aperture and ISO. The D7000 records h.264 codec rather than motion jpeg too.

One thing to note is that the aperture will be set to whatever you had chosen when live view was activated, to change it you need to swap back, adjust and turn on live view again. You can change ISO mid recording though.

As for jelly wobble, it is still present like with any digital sensor, but vastly improved over older models. I have only ever noticed it by deliberately shaking it from side to side trying to make it happen. If you're panning fast enough to notice it you're panning faster than you'd ever need to realistically.

That's good improvement alright. The D90 was like a guinea pig for dslr video, it's very limited. It's fine if you have it set right before shooting and keep it on a tripod but panning, forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Quick follow-up on shooting video with D90 and, presumably, D7000. Some tips I've accumulated.

Use an 'old' manual lens. It'll have better focus 'feel' and be quieter, plus you need manual aperture control.

Set AE/AF to 'AE lock - Hold' (Custom F4 in D90). Save your thumb from going flat. Also, set meter time-out to 10 or 30mins (Custom C2, D90). Otherwise you lose the exposure that's locked when it turns off.

The camera changes the ISO to effect auto-exposure, and it does it in 1/3 stops, this is why you want to lock the exposure. You also want the ISO to be low. So pick a middle f-stop, point at a bright scene, half-press the shutter, press AE lock. Only now should you enter LV-mode. Now change aperture ring for the correct exposure - as seen on LCD. Start recording. Oh yeah, focus.

If you are using a G-type lens (no ring) you must set aperture before you enter LV-mode.

Lighenupandshoot.net had some of this recently. And Thom Hogan has this today - http://bythom.com/index.htm (it'll move to http://bythom.com/2011%20Nikon%20News.htm - Feb 21 in a few days).

ozymandius wrote: »
    Use an 'old' manual lens. It'll have better focus 'feel' and be quieter, plus you need manual aperture control.

Oh score! I just tried this with my old 50mm from the 70s and it worked.

The rest of it with the AE lock etc I don't think applies to the D7000 though, if you set it to manual it will let you shoot a pitch black screen if you want without changing any settings. I have noticed though that in automatic or aperture priority mode it tends to bump the ISO unnecessarily, that's annoying.

Old lenses rock for video on Dslr. I have an old vivitar 70-210 full manual with that push, pull and turn to focus long rubber ring. It's very good for video as you can focus silently just about. Any prime with an aperture ring works really well too. I've been testing my new (to me) 85mm 1.8 on the d90. The focus ring is smooth as butter on manual. Not a sound out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

I order a D7000 today, hope to have it for the weekend. Currently have a D40 which has served me well for 2 years, but ISO performance was starting to kill me.

been playing around with my 50mm Prime for video - manual focus is smooth and virtually silent ! god I really love this piece of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I order a D7000 today, hope to have it for the weekend. Currently have a D40 which has served me well for 2 years, but ISO performance was starting to kill me.

You wont know yourself when you use the D7000.

I came from D40/D50/D80/D90/D200 and was quite familiar with the D300 aswell, Theres nothing close to the performance of the D7000 in them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hecklar wrote: »
    You wont know yourself when you use the D7000.

I came from D40/D50/D80/D90/D200 and was quite familiar with the D300 aswell, Theres nothing close to the performance of the D7000 in them. :)

Besides ISO and Video on your D7000 what else outshines the D300 ?
    I don't use either camera but curious as to your findings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Philip Bloom and Vimeo have some good tutorial videos for shooting video with DSLRs, they're using Canons but the same things apply.

http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/11/introduction-to-dslr-cameras

• Advertisement

Down to €1099 for body-only in Bermingham's. A little more in Conn's.

Handled one yesterday (I'm not in the market). A significant update to the D90. It can nearly see in the dark. AF is impressive - lots of flashing lights. Control layout more ergonomic, I think. Bit heavier, different finger grip. Lots of little things - interval timer, M-UP, AF tune, AIS lenses, dual SD, 6fps, horizon line ...

Compelling, but I'm totally brassic :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

I got one last week as an upgrade from D60 - so many buttons! Need some serious playing-around time with it though to get used to all this new fanciness.

ozymandius wrote: »
    Down to €1099 for body-only in Bermingham's. A little more in Conn's.

Argh! I wonder how much they'd offer for a trade on a mint D90?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kman

OP and other D7000 owners, before I pull the trigger, anyone find the so called focusing issues as on the dpreview.com forums? Or is it a non issue ? Looking to trade up, D90 at the mo. D7000 looks so good.

I have no intention of trawling through dpreview to find exactly what you're referring to, but no, there have been no unexpected auto-focus issues. The auto-focus can be unreliable in live-view mode, but you're always going to get that in an slr due to the need to use contrast auto focus rather than phase. SLTs like the new Sonys get around this by not flipping up the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Argh! I wonder how much they'd offer for a trade on a mint D90?

I reckon they'd give you around 400 or something close to that, they're selling the body's second hand for 535 and they always have a big retailer mark up

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    I have no intention of trawling through dpreview to find exactly what you're referring to, but no, there have been no unexpected auto-focus issues. The auto-focus can be unreliable in live-view mode, but you're always going to get that in an slr due to the need to use contrast auto focus rather than phase. SLTs like the new Sonys get around this by not flipping up the mirror.

You don't have to look far - every second post in the D90/7000 forum was about (alleged) focus issues. Seems to have settled now. That said it seems to affect the first cameras on the market and also mostly Nth. Americans who appear to spend more time looking for problems than actually taking pictures.

Zillah, curiously it was the phase-detect AF that had the problem, contrast-detect AF on LV was perfect.

I haven't noticed any focus problems at all. Quite the opposite. This shot was taken at high ISO, low light, continuos autofocus today and its a lot better than I gont with my D80.
    http://pix.ie/asadlier/2192915#Comment613399 (already posted pic in Random thread so don't wan to post again :-)

so a week into my ownership of a D7000
    No focusing issues at all ( but thats already been addressed )
    the low light performance is amazing - i cant over state that enough

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kman

Thanks for the feedback guys, hope to have one shortly, might have to bring my birthday forward a few weeks! Great photos btw Adrian.Sadlier !

Thanks Kman. If I can take good shots with it then its a great camera :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

Seriously thinking of upgrading from my antique D50 all the above posts have me at the edge.!!

Do it - you will never look back ! :)

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I reckon they'd give you around 400 or something close to that, they're selling the body's second hand for 535 and they always have a big retailer mark up

You certain of that? they're still selling used D200 bodies for €499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

aidan18 wrote: »
    Seriously thinking of upgrading from my antique D50 all the above posts have me at the edge.!!

I upgraded from the D50 recently, you'll love it.

Keep the tips coming guys, learning loads from this thread already!

This was taken this evening at ISO 5000 :)

39EACE8E79AB4F119E5D24B8064FD03B-0000315935-0002196026-00800L-7638ADD0039C42E5BAC0598D94D07D9E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Does anyone know if the D7000 and D90 share the same powerdrive / battery grip ?

I think I will be selling my mint D90 but what to do with the drive?

Different battery (1000+ shots) different drive

Different battery (1000+ shots) different drive

Thank you !!

Yeah, that's one problem with the 7000, new battery, and they aren't cheap to buy separate. And for anyone that likes their grips, the MB-D11 is pricey too.

Yeah, that's one problem with the 7000, new battery, and they aren't cheap to buy separate. And for anyone that likes their grips, the MB-D11 is pricey too.

I need the grip as my hands are like shovels ;)
    But where to sell the D90 and grip is the problem..

• Advertisement
Advertisement