Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie FPS

• 21-02-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've just got an XBOX 360, thanks to the great bargin alert from Amazon. It's really for the kids, but I'd like to try my hand at some of the more adult FPS.

I downloaded the COD Modern War 2 demo from XBOX live, but even on the easiest setting I just can't get very far without being killed. I wondered could anyone recommend a good FPS with a decent learning curve that I could get to ease me gently into this type of game?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Halo. Was my gateway in to the more 'modern' FPS'ers back on the original xbox. (I say modern cos the likes of Wolfenstein 3D and Doom didn't really prepare me.....^_^).

Any of the series, I'd recommend Reach though. (The originals will still work on the 360).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I'd recommend Gears of War 1 & 2, also you can get them very cheap in gamestop

I'd recommend Gears of War 1 & 2, also you can get them very cheap in gamestop

GoW =/= FPS'ers.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Gears of War is a third-person shooter video game developed by Epic Games and published by Microsoft Game Studios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks for the quick replies. I was going to get Gears of War to try as it is pretty cheap second hand, but then got worried that I wouldn't have a hope by the demo of COD that I tried.

I've also seen Halo 3 pretty cheap second hand so I might give that a try first. What do you think?

Lockster wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick replies. I was going to get Gears of War to try as it is pretty cheap second hand, but then got worried that I wouldn't have a hope by the demo of COD that I tried.

I've also seen Halo 3 pretty cheap second hand so I might give that a try first. What do you think?

The GoW series is decent if you want to quicken those reflexes (always come in handy in FPS'ers). But again it's a third person game, not first. But yeah, I'd recommend getting Halo 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

chin_grin wrote: »
    GoW =/= FPS'ers.

My apologies, Lockster I still recommend Gears of War tho.

Get the Orange Box:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Life-Orange-Box-Xbox-360/dp/B000RO349S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298288717&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Call of Duty is probably the easiest of all FPS games so you should stick it out with that one, just keep trying and once you get the hang of the control scheme and generally how a FPS plays out you should have no bother flying through a simple game like MW2

My apologies, Lockster I still recommend Gears of War tho.

Get the Orange Box:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Life-Orange-Box-Xbox-360/dp/B000RO349S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298288717&sr=8-1

Easily done (cos I agree they are phenominal games). Also the aiming is a little on the First Person so I can see why you made that comment.

+1 for the Orange Box. Great deal too. Five games in one! Check out a few trailers on youtube though as Portal can be a bit confusing.

Thanks again for all the help. Just wanted to check I won't miss out on anything going straight to Halo 3 not having played the first 2?

Thanks again for all the help. Just wanted to check I won't miss out on anything going straight to Halo 3 not having played the first 2?

Well if you really wanted to get in to the story I suppose you would benefit. It's entirely up to yourself.

If you wanted to catch up on what's happening you can always read the wiki articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Call of Duty is very overrated, you should get Battlefield Bad Company 2 huge maps with much more to do

Thanks again all, just to note that it is a relatively easy game that I am looking for to develop my skills rather than the best FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thanks again all, just to note that it is a relatively easy game that I am looking for to develop my skills rather than the best FPS.

are you playing story mode or online? the easiest setting on COD games is pretty easy but you will die alot if you just run around in the open like a headless chicken.
    stay at the game and try different strategies.
    wouldnt be much fun if you could walk threw the game without dying.

battlefield badcompany 2 is another good game and the story mode is pretty easy on that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd say Halo (I'd recommend Reach since it's the newest and is what more people will be playing) was a better choice for a "new to FPS" player. Ticks a lot of the basic boxes and has a reasonable enough multiplayer which allows you the option to say "I'm a beginner, please match me with other beginners when I play".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kharn wrote: »
    I'd say Halo (I'd recommend Reach since it's the newest and is what more people will be playing) was a better choice for a "new to FPS" player. Ticks a lot of the basic boxes and has a reasonable enough multiplayer which allows you the option to say "I'm a beginner, please match me with other beginners when I play".

I'm not a fan of Halo but it does have the best match making setup, i still prefer picking servers and entering IPs but for someone new to FPS it will limit the bad agro bro aspect of an fps and on live you'll find it hard to find a fps live user who does not have at least 1 halo.

Cod gives no help to new players, stick with Halo and make it reach.

Advertisement