Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Hop ups

Options
  • 21-02-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Just got a Jing Gong HK416 off The joker a while back and I'm considering doing it up a bit. Probably a Guarder rubber and possibly a tightbore barrel but my question is this... is there any point in replacing the plastic hop up unit with a metal one? Any help appreciated as always, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

The usual reason for doing that is to take higher pressure for more power, but of course you don't want more power because you need to stay under the Joule. As a matter of fact, somebody was telling me yesterday that plastic hop-up units are better than metal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Main reason is because certain hop units take pressure from mags, and can become warped. the m4 hop was the main reason for metal ones, as its just sitting there, in the magwell. Metal good...

AK, g36, etc, dont need it, because its not just the top of the magwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

AUG plactic hops are perfectly fine unless you regularly swap barrels - the main problem with AUG hos is they get damages when removing the barrel gruop - particularly around the lugs which hold on the plastic rings on the back end!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

So should I replace it or just be prepared to in case it breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Phil Taz

MonkeyGuy wrote: »
    So should I replace it or just be prepared to in case it breaks?

Why not try the plastic one on one day of skirmish, then try metal one next time, see which one is more responsive. Besides, no harm having it incase plastic one does decide to cave in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Honestly, it wont make much difference. My g&p has a plastic element hop unit in.... no loss of performance, and it doesnt instantly break (tbh it was safer than metal on metal nozzle to hop should one touch) (gearbox squirty outy barrely)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

Right I'll leave the plastic one so. Thanks for the help

Advertisement