Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living Ireland V Australia

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Found Child care more expensive n Oz

Childcare Australia v Ireland

5 days a week in oz $300 v 5 days a week in Ireland $240

That was is for Chelsea Melbourne v Ballina Co Mayo

mightn't seem a hell of a lot extra but that extra $60 a week over 52 weeks a year adds up to $3120 extra or extra 10.4 weeks we have to pay for .

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Ozeire wrote: »

mightn't seem a hell of a lot extra but that extra $60 a week over 52 weeks a year adds up to $3120 extra or extra 10.4 weeks we have to pay for .

Does that include the tax back you can claim in Australia? Upto 50% I think...?

It would be fairer though to compare City for City (not sure where Chelsea is in Melb).

Eg:

1 month Melb $1350 v 1 month in Dublin $1427.

And in Ireland you definately don't get any tax back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You are comparing Melbourne to Ballina???

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

We are paying $2680 per month child care for 2 kids for only 4 days per week. Thats why we are not eating lobster and steak every day like some of the other posters:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hussey wrote: »
    Did they come third best city in the world to live??

• Advertisement

man1 wrote: »
    We are paying $2680 per month child care for 2 kids for only 4 days per week. Thats why we are not eating lobster and steak every day like some of the other posters:D:D

Is anyone claiming the tax back on their childcare? If so, how well does it work out?

Zambia wrote: »
    Did they come third best city in the world to live??

No it only came 6th

hussey wrote: »

No comparing Chelsea to Ballina not central Melbourne

Just think child care is mad price everywhere in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's an unfair comparison. If you want like for like, trying pricing up childcare in Wangaratta and seeing how it compares to childcare in Ballina.

That's an unfair comparison. If you want like for like, trying pricing up childcare in Wangaratta and seeing how it compares to childcare in Ballina.

Fair point

Checked

Wangaratta Childrens Services Centre
    1 Handley St, WANGARATTA VIC 3677

Weekly $275.00

Still coming up more expensive even out there. Bit far for me to travel to save $25 a week though.....lol

Guess the price of rents and stuff are just more so the difference.

As for the 50% back if my wife and I are working surely we can't clam that can we. Is that not just for people who are under a cretin earnings .

Oh if anyone needs to check out child care place

Find a Child Care Service

Guess the price of rents and stuff are just more so the difference.

As for the 50% back if my wife and I are working surely we can't clam that can we. Is that not just for people who are under a cretin earnings .

Oh if anyone needs to check out child care place

Find a Child Care Service

From what I understand, everyone is entitled to the tax break. You can claim up to 50% back. But it may be capped...

There is also something like child support, but that is means tested.

• Advertisement

dmaxontour wrote: »
    From what I understand, everyone is entitled to the tax break. You can claim up to 50% back. But it may be capped...

There is also something like child support, but that is means tested.

Everyone gets the 50% rebate even if you earn a million!!! But it is only paid every 3 months.

There is another benifit called childcare benefit that is means tested.

man1 wrote: »
    Everyone gets the 50% rebate even if you earn a million!!! But it is only paid every 3 months.

There is another benifit called childcare benefit that is means tested.

Is it capped though? Like you get 50% back up to 7500 a year? So if your annual child care costs are 30000, you'd only really get 25% back.

Thanks.

dmaxontour wrote: »
    Is it capped though? Like you get 50% back up to 7500 a year? So if your annual child care costs are 30000, you'd only really get 25% back.

Thanks.

Yep it is capped at $7,500 PER CHILD. So if you have $30,000 child care costs for two little ones you would get back half - $15,000

Doesnt matter what things cost if you cant get a job in Ireland!

income = 0 then expenditure = 0

In Ireland you have the dole if all else fails here unless your 2 years PR your in trouble.

In Ireland you have the dole if all else fails here unless your 2 years PR your in trouble.

lots of people in Ireland cant get the dole and they are full citizens!

mandrake04 wrote: »
    <snip>

That is not funny if you are trying to be funny!!:mad: I take offence at your racism.

Mod No need to quote ... issue being dealt with ... back on track people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 james0133

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Re: banking, it is possible to do it all for free over here if you shop around. I can point people in the right direction if anyone would like specifics (I'm in the industry).

Xavi6 some more information on banking and who to go with would be brilliant!!

I'm also trying to find out the best way to transfer funds between Ireland and Perth. AIB's international, internet, transferals seem to be quite expensive. I was thinking it might be possible to transfer some funds from AIB to an interned bank like Rabobank and then transfer from there but I need to look into the rates. Has anyone found a good solution?

If you have a good bit to move

You could use someone like HiFX

1: Set up Oz account

2: Call HiFx (or other) buy Aus dollars at the best rate you can

3: Nominate your account in Oz as the receiving account.

Done. There is more to it but not much. Anyone else do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 james0133

HiFX look very good, many thanks for that. Ozforex is a simile setup. I don't know how they compare.

What is the best bank to set up an account with over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yes, used HiFX. They're very efficient to deal with. A muppet in AIB was less so, they sent USD!, but figured it out in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

james0133 wrote: »
    Xavi6 some more information on banking and who to go with would be brilliant!!

I'm also trying to find out the best way to transfer funds between Ireland and Perth. AIB's international, internet, transferals seem to be quite expensive. I was thinking it might be possible to transfer some funds from AIB to an interned bank like Rabobank and then transfer from there but I need to look into the rates. Has anyone found a good solution?

Don't AIB only charge 15 euro?? hardly expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The issue isn't so much the fee, it's the rate of exchange they offer you to convert € -> A$. On a €100,000 -> A$ conversion the difference in rate would be about A$760 less if you use AIB.

Ozforex are excellent, but won't open an account if you are resident in Ireland. No problem if you live in Yemen though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ballabooyeah

Hi all - Some great posts. I feel like eating lobster (Crayfish in Australia)

I noticed this is a old post but here we go to get it live again...

So I live in Ireland, Born and Bred Sydney and worked the CBD for many years. Yes I had some $30 lunches but you can't beat the food halls - Happy Chef in Australia post center is the best....
    I have also lived in London and I find that more expensive.

After 10 years I'm keen to move back. Can't take any more of the lame politicians here in Ireland - Not to say that the Australian ones are any better !!!!
    I know I can't afford to move back to Sydney (house prices and rents are CRAZY)which is why I'm going to the dark side and looking to head to Melbourne. Well it is Best city to live in and to give up the rural lifestyle of County Waterford then best to do it with a big bang..

I'm interested in the best bank to set up with - I think one of the MOD's offered info on this. Can you send me that info?
    Also I would not touch AIB transfer rates with a barge pole. For business I use TransferMate and they will beat most providers - I have tried any other but used to use AIB then saw how ripped off I was getting.

If I could sell my house in Ireland I would - but I purchased at the wrong time so I'll hold it and rent it out and pay the difference. I would have been way better off keeping my appartment in Sydney and doubled my money but who was to know???

I found this website is a good comparision for different city's - http://www.numbeo.com/ Gives some interesting real figures on standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In terms of banks, I think ME Bank is pretty good in terms of interest paid on deposits. You might need one of the major banks as an intermediary for international transfers as ME isn't really set up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi all - Some great posts. I feel like eating lobster (Crayfish in Australia)

Lobster and crayfish are different things. There a cost difference you, might help you save for the house etc ;)

Advertisement