Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch system queries

Options
  • 21-02-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Any feedback on the queries below would be appreciated:

1) What's the typical battery life of the wireless sensors/contacts and PIRs that come with the system?

2) Are wireless shock/inertia sensors generally installed at ALL doors and windows in addition to contacts (obviously where no glass-break sensors are used)?

3) Can the Eircom wireless system be purchased directly from some distributor/supplier? I'm aware of the system type but can only find DIY versions of it on Amazon. Note that I've past experience installing alarm systems and need to cover ~15 door/window openings and at least 1 PIR so probably bigger than your average setup. Quote on Eircom website for this system is ~2.5k which is many times outside of my budget! Feel free to PM a response to this particular question if preferred.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Any feedback on the queries below would be appreciated:

1) What's the typical battery life of the wireless sensors/contacts and PIRs that come with the system?

2) Are wireless shock/inertia sensors generally installed at ALL doors and windows in addition to contacts (obviously where no glass-break sensors are used)?

3) Can the Eircom wireless system be purchased directly from some distributor/supplier? I'm aware of the system type but can only find DIY versions of it on Amazon. Note that I've past experience installing alarm systems and need to cover ~15 door/window openings and at least 1 PIR so probably bigger than your average setup. Quote on Eircom website for this system is ~2.5k which is many times outside of my budget! Feel free to PM a response to this particular question if preferred.

The battery lifespan depends on the system installed. 433 I would expect to last 4 years and then need replacing. 868 2 years and then need replacing. Batteries cost €5 each.

Contacts only cover openings of the window, inertia contacts cover both.

Alarm systems used by P.W. are not for sale in Ireland.
    A good system to cover your list would cost €1250 - €1500 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Thanks for that response. Re: the inertia contacts, my query here was whether these are generally used on all window and door openings (as would be good practice) and not say just on door openings with plain old contacts used on windows? I suppose the real (and perhaps sinful!) question is are shortcuts taken to reduce the total equipment cost?!

Thanks for that response. Re: the inertia contacts, my query here was whether these are generally used on all window and door openings (as would be good practice) and not say just on door openings with plain old contacts used on windows? I suppose the real (and perhaps sinful!) question is are shortcuts taken to reduce the total equipment cost?!

If expense is not an option then covering all openings on windows and doors is the best way to go.

Altor, unfortunately expense is always an issue with me! :D But, at the same time, I would think that if an alarm only went off after a burglar had smashed a window and opened it, they'd probably still enter the house at that stage and go on a 30 second shopping spree. Suppose they'd probably bang the window initially and assume incorrectly that there was no alarm or no alarm set, and then be committed to the job at hand.

You mentioned €1250-1500 for the price of an installed system below. I suppose I'm living on cloud cuckoo land if I were to ask if it were possible to get a good wireless system for under 1k, that would include the shock sensors at all windows?! So you'd be talking (note that I've added to the list!!):

- 15 inertia contacts
    - 1 or 2 PIRs
    - 2 panic attack buttons
    - 1 or 2 internal sounders
    - 1 integrated keypad/panel else panel plus remote keypad
    - Ideally with a line/GSM auto-dialler

Christ I'm a stingy bas#$@d, I know!

Altor, unfortunately expense is always an issue with me! :D But, at the same time, I would think that if an alarm only went off after a burglar had smashed a window and opened it, they'd probably still enter the house at that stage and go on a 30 second shopping spree. Suppose they'd probably bang the window initially and assume incorrectly that there was no alarm or no alarm set, and then be committed to the job at hand.

You mentioned €1250-1500 for the price of an installed system below. I suppose I'm living on cloud cuckoo land if I were to ask if it were possible to get a good wireless system for under 1k, that would include the shock sensors at all windows?! So you'd be talking (note that I've added to the list!!):

- 15 inertia contacts
    - 1 or 2 PIRs
    - 2 panic attack buttons
      - 1 or 2 internal sounders
      - 1 integrated keypad/panel else panel plus remote keypad
      - Ideally with a line/GSM auto-dialler

Christ I'm a stingy bas#$@d, I know!

That was just a price guide. We are not allowed give quotes on boards as per charter rules.

The powermax complete has a built in dialer. It will also give you remote access to the alarm over the phone line. The GSM is an internal one so very easy to install and set up.
      If you ring a few of the suppliers of alarm equipment in the supplier lists they will be more than happy to give you a price for the alarm and components you need.

• Advertisement

Grand, will do thanks!

Grand, will do thanks!

Your welcome, if you need any advice on installing a system let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the op could also install a hkc securewave system, and to cut down on the cost could hard wire where posible some sensors back to a wirefree one.......ie if you have a bay window, install one wireless and hard wire a standard second or third sensor into the wireless one, like wise with patio doors ect. more labour involved but would cut the cost of some of the sensors in half. likewise if the panel is located near some of the zones and can be wired neatly this will lessen the cost too.
      thats my two cents anyway :D

That is good advice indie but the kit from powermax works out a lot cheaper than having to buy all the extras you would need with the HKC system. He could still connect the wired sensors as you have said above to visonics wire free sensors. If he waits for the new HKC panel then this will come with a built in dialer plus internal bell. Price wise they are aiming for in around the price of the powermax system which will be great value when it hits the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

altor wrote: »
      That is good advice indie but the kit from powermax works out a lot cheaper than having to buy all the extras you would need with the HKC system. He could still connect the wired sensors as you have said above to visonics wire free sensors. If he waits for the new HKC panel then this will come with a built in dialer plus internal bell. Price wise they are aiming for in around the price of the powermax system which will be great value when it hits the market.
      theres a new panel coming out??any idea when?
      smoke sensors needed to be added to our alarm and we were just about the upgrade to the hkc securewave but if a newer version is coming out i think its better to wait:p

• Advertisement

theres a new panel coming out??any idea when?
      smoke sensors needed to be added to our alarm and we were just about the upgrade to the hkc securewave but if a newer version is coming out i think its better to wait:p

Yes, it will be out after the ISEC show at the end of march. If you are upgrading a wired system it wont be worth your while waiting as it only has one wired zone. It is aimed more so at the wire free market. The Securewave is your best option unless you want all wire free.

altor, this is a bit off-topic but I reckon if I start a new thread I'll be slated as the topic has probably been discussed elsewhere till the cows come home. However, I've tried searching the forum but cannot find the info. As far as I recall, from a home insurance discount point of view, an alarm system generally needs to meet the relevant EN standard and needs to be installed OR 'okayed' by a registered installer. But does it also need to be serviced regularly or can it simply be in working order?! Also, I presume that if it is in working order but is not set during a break-in then the insurer does not legally have to pay out in the event of a break-in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OT alright.;)
      Ill answer briefly but if you want more detail start a thread.
      It really depends on what is on your insurance policy.
      If your policy states you have an alarm to EN50131 standard then to maintain that standard the system must be serviced every year.
      You could avail of a discount for simply having an alarm or an older policy may state IS199. That would be fine with out annual servicing.

altor, this is a bit off-topic but I reckon if I start a new thread I'll be slated as the topic has probably been discussed elsewhere till the cows come home. However, I've tried searching the forum but cannot find the info. As far as I recall, from a home insurance discount point of view, an alarm system generally needs to meet the relevant EN standard and needs to be installed OR 'okayed' by a registered installer. But does it also need to be serviced regularly or can it simply be in working order?! Also, I presume that if it is in working order but is not set during a break-in then the insurer does not legally have to pay out in the event of a break-in?

It all depends on what your policy says and what you are claiming the alarm to be. If it is a working alarm it can still be on your policy, it could be a self installed alarm either.
      An EN50131 alarm need to be serviced every year to be up to this standard.
      The best people to answer this question is your insurance company.

Advertisement