Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local only connection...grrrrrrr

Options
  • 21-02-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I've checked a ton of forums to find the answer to this but nothing has worked so far.

I just set up a wireless network using a belkin router. When i try to connect to it its says "identifying network"..then its says "unidentified network" (with the networks name in brackets beside it).

My housemate's laptop running windows 7 connects fine to the internet but mine doesn't (running vista).

It works fine when i connect using an ethernet cable too.

I've tried upticking IPV6, going to device manager and unstalling the network adpater, i've rebooted the machine too with default factory settings and no use.

The security is WPA2-Personal so is it a problem with that?
    I'm pulling my hair out with this so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Johnny86

Solved this last night by editing the network security type to WEP instead of WPA2 on the router and laptop.
    Guess this means my laptop doesn't support WPA at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It wouldn't be a great idea to leave it on WEP unless you are living in the middle of nowhere, its easy to crack it. Is your operating system up-to-date? More likely the problem than the hardware of the laptop I think.

Advertisement